Last Game Played: Round 19, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure I've seen a guy kick 5 goals in the same game in which he didn't really look like he should be out there.

Jones destroyed him in every 1v1 and yet Hooker was so often in space and unmarked.

Very weird game.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
If he keeps this form up, there's nothing to suggest that he can't play another couple years.
year to year contracts based on how he feels.
Even if he ends up dropping to VFL, has so much potential to be a positive influence on the kids.

Let him keep playing until Baldwin breaks in.
or **** it, whenever he decides to hang up the AFL boots.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he's my favourite player since Hird.

Love the guy, deserved so much more success than what the club has been able to give him.

Yep. Was sad that we couldn't give Jobe something worthy of his career and it looks like it will be much the same for Hurley and Hooker.

It's going to be a hard sell given the number of goals he is kicking but at the current rates I'd be disappointed if Wright didn't assume the number 1 mantle and it wasn't Bryan joining Wright as the number 2 next year.

I feel dirty for saying it but I don't want Hurley anywhere near the team.

Last edited:
Yep. Was sad that we could give Jobe something worthy of his career and it looks like it will be much the same for Hurley and Hooker.

It's going to be a hard sell given the number of goals he is kicking but at the current rates I'd be disappointed if Wright didn't assume the number 1 mantle and it wasn't Bryan joining Wright as the number 2 next year.

I feel dirty for saying it but I don't want Hurley anywhere near the team.

Yep once again I'm torn between what is right for the team vs what I'd love to happen for the player.
Ideally? Hurley and hooker stick around and are part of this team getting some success whether it be the ultimate or just a finals win. With Hurley in particular getting back on the field. Means they get to enjoy some footy and we get to enjoy watching them.
Realistically though, what is best for this group is them both retiring at the end of the year. With maybe Hurls staying on as depth/leadership/break glass. Doing what Zaharakis has this year.

It sucks, and it's not the way they should go out but unfortunately for the good of the team going forward it's the way it should be if we are serious.

I hope fans realise that this victory lap by Chook is probably the last go of it and enjoy it.

Yeah I don’t get it. Hooker is 32 and third on goal table. Tex Walker is just a year younger and he’s been struggling more than Hooker last couple of years. No one thinks this will be Tex’s last year.

Hurley is younger and was just as potent a forward as Hooker when he used to play there. Not sure why we’re. writing him off at 30.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I don’t get it. Hooker is 32 and third on goal table. Tex Walker is just a year younger and he’s been struggling more than Hooker last couple of years. No one thinks this will be Tex’s last year.

Hurley is younger and was just as potent a forward as Hooker when he used to play there. Not sure why we’re. writing him off at 30.

Tex can move. Hooker can't.

Probably because he runs like me and I have a busted foot.
Tex can move. Hooker can't.
No different to when he was 28.

To quote Bomber….
All of you (yes you too ‘like’ clickers)
You people have been murdering him…
Leave him alone…All of you….leave him alone. All of you!

No different to when he was 28.

To quote Bomber….
All of you (yes you too ‘like’ clickers)
You people have been murdering him…
Leave him alone…All of you….leave him alone. All of you!
I didn't say I agreed with the calls. Just explaining why they're probably coming. Guy's 3rd in the Coleman ffs.

I didn't say I agreed with the calls. Just explaining why they're probably coming. Guy's 3rd in the Coleman ffs.
He’s looked flat footed with his running style since the famous Buddy chase. Does him a disservice. He’s scoring well and having a big influence on play up forward. Having Hurley and Hooker is a massive lift to young blokes as well.

He's a necessary part of our forward line this year and I don't see anything changing much next year. Maybe Baldwin rips the comp a new one in the second half of the year or something but with his injury history I think you'd keep a guy like Hooker on the list as backup - assuming he's happy to do so.

Eyre looks like he's some time off from being in consideration for senior selection too.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s looked flat footed with his running style since the famous Buddy chase. Does him a disservice. He’s scoring well and having a big influence on play up forward. Having Hurley and Hooker is a massive lift to young blokes as well.

He reads the play very well which means he doesn’t have to cover as much ground - you’d probably expect that from an AA backman, he was an intercept beast that year.

Also possibly his biggest strength now - contested situations - doesn’t rely too much on covering the ground either. You can put it on his head anywhere and be pretty sure that it’s, at worst, coming to ground.

Back