• injury sub

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone else besides me getting an undue amount of pleasure watching BEllis and Markov carving it up at the Suns? And even Conca at the Dockers?

Butler and Higgins can get stuffed though.
Can only wish Butler Markov & Ellis well.All still Richmond men.
Conca care factor zero.
Higgins name should be banned on this board.

NimFromSudan

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Was definitely Mansell. Was right in front me. He timed it perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This was the play that finally got me over the line on Mansell. Thought he was woeful is his first game but he's been building very nicely week by week.

He's doing the simple stuff well now and is becoming pretty reliable.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond – Liam Baker

An undermanned Richmond went into Friday night’s clash against the Western Bulldogs – the AFL’s hottest team – in an unfamiliar position as underdogs. But the reigning premier emerged victorious and it was the tenacity of Liam Baker who set the tone for his side. Baker laid a game-high eight tackles to go with 15 disposals, as well as recording 29 pressure acts (the second-most on the ground) to stand up for his team when required.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
This was the play that finally got me over the line on Mansell. Thought he was woeful is his first game but he's been building very nicely week by week.

Yeah he's definitely quite a campaigner

Evident he may have went a bit hard in the first match due to nerves and trying to make an impact (rough conduct charges, taking on players and losing the ball etc)

Think now he is finding the balance/lines and driving between them. Could be a real decent addition come finals

Mr Unbelievable

Premium Platinum
Nov 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah he's definitely quite a campaigner

Evident he may have went a bit hard in the first match due to nerves and trying to make an impact (rough conduct charges, taking on players and losing the ball etc)

Think now he is finding the balance/lines and driving between them. Could be a real decent addition come finals
I love he gut punched Robbie Gray in his first match and got fined...

Oct 27, 2014
M15
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bucks
In: Martin, Naish (from sub).
Out: Cotchin, Aarts.

FWiW I don't think Vlas will get up.

Naish into selected side to play wing. That tackle and then kick shows his value and he's in form at the moment. Must get a run.

Pickett into the mids as an old fashioned ruck/rover.

Aarts...I love his endeavour. The guy has a massive heart and bigger balls. But his disposal just cannot be defended. Watching the replay of the 2nd half, he stood out like dog's balls when he had to use the footy. The effort is there but the kicking is a worry.

Jack Ross, next man out. But he deserves at least another run. Liked his disposal on the outside. Out for Nicky Vlas next week.

B: N.Broad, N.Balta, D.Grimes
HB: B.Houli, D.Astbury, J.Short

C: K.McIntosh, J.Graham, P.Naish
Foll: T.Nankervis, M.Pickett, S.Bolton

HF: L.Baker, T.Lynch, D.Martin
FF: J.Castagna, J.Riewoldt, D.Rioli

INT: S.Edwards, R.Mansell, R.Collier-Dawkins, J.Ross.

Sub: J.Aarts

EMG: C.Coleman-Jones, M.Rioli jnr, H.Ralphsmith, S.Stack.

(God that emergencies list is exciting!)

what have been his health issues?

Had appendicitis early 2019, came back for one game I think and then we've heard nothing as he had some complications I was told. His 2019 was a write-off and we know 2020 was a non-football event for guys like Ben trying re-build his health and strength.

He had a great vertical leap, speed is really good for his size and super competitive. This season is important for him and I hope he finds all those attributes and more for huge crack at 2022 (or sooner if called on)

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
To me, Aarts is starting to look suspiciously like a modern day version of Steve Morris. Amazing courage, tenacity and endeavor but under par on the skills side, particularly by foot. I may be wrong (I was once) but I can see others in the wings, like Stack, pushing him out soon. Whatever happens, he'll always have my admiration for being an authentic Richmond man.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
It was mentioned briefly earlier yes but worth saying again that Bachar basically playing great football with very little calorie intake while fasting for weeks. Amazing player. We're lucky to have him. I thought he was awesome Friday night.

Honestly probably gives him a leg up..

Fasting does wonders for Inflammation, which AFL players deal with a lot of. Proper managed fasting (which after many years of doing it, Bachar has covered) shouldn't have a real negative impact on performance.

Not to take anything away from him of course, it's a credit to him that he can manage it well... But I'm sure he would say it's not any real inconvenience/hindrance at all, as it's just part of life for him

Either way, fantastic performance on the weekend!!

I'm 99% sure that the eating restriction for Ramadan just means you can't eat substantial food while the sun is up, so you eat extra early morning/evening, not starve yourself - which was also my previous understanding when Bach initially came to us before I did a bit more research into it.

For many, it's actually a time of nightly feasting very much looked forward to where people gorge themselves - imagine a month of nightly Christmas dinner feasts where in return you have to squeeze in breakfast very early and can't eat lunch. I'm sure Bach has a very substantial early breakfast game days and a huge meal in the evening (or late at night if it's a night game).

Interestingly, Ramadan falls at different times of year each year, so people who have migrated to very northerly regions sometimes face situations during Ramadan where there is all day sun, or no sun - completely different to the regions where the practice originated, which are at a latitude where there is always a fairly even balance of night and day all year.

Apparently they overcome it by just following whatever the light/dark pattern would be for that month in the Middle East.

box070

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm 99% sure that the eating restriction for Ramadan just means you can't eat substantial food while the sun is up, so you eat extra early morning/evening, not starve yourself - which was also my previous understanding when Bach initially came to us before I did a bit more research into it.

For many, it's actually a time of nightly feasting very much looked forward to where people gorge themselves - imagine a month of nightly Christmas dinner feasts where in return you have to squeeze in breakfast very early and can't eat lunch. I'm sure Bach has a very substantial early breakfast game days and a huge meal in the evening.

Interestingly, Ramadan falls at different times of year each year, so people who have migrated to very northerly regions sometimes face situations during Ramadan where there is all day sun, or no sun - completely different to the regions where the practice originated, which are at a latitude where there is always a fairly even balance of night and day all year.

Apparently they overcome it by just following whatever the light/dark pattern would be for that month in the Middle East.

you can also eat and make up for it with other means. Like fasting longer on other days or add extra days to the Ramadan. The rules aren’t hard and fast.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond

He made a great aerial spoil in the 2Q when we were under siege too which really impressed me, showed great judgement of the ball in flight and plenty of courage.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur

For many, it's actually a time of nightly feasting very much looked forward to where people gorge themselves - imagine a month of nightly Christmas dinner feasts where in return you have to squeeze in breakfast very early and can't eat lunch. I'm sure Bach has a very substantial early breakfast game days and a huge meal in the evening (or late at night if it's a night game).

Yeah plenty of calories getting in still, but the hours of fasting during daylight are where you see the benefits re inflammation etc.

12+ hours of not eating during the day is still confronting to a lot of people who haven't tried fasting before

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers

Cheers Rayzor. That fills in a lot of blanks for me. Like a lot of the population I had preconceived ideas about Ramadan. Appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah plenty of calories getting in still, but the hours of fasting during daylight are where you see the benefits re inflammation etc.

12+ hours of not eating during the day is still confronting to a lot of people who haven't tried fasting before

I don't doubt that for a minute. ;)

The inflammation angle is interesting, I don't recall hearing that as one of the benefits of fasting before. :thumbsu:

Cheers Rayzor. That fills in a lot of blanked for me. Like a lot of the population I had preconceived ideas about Ramadan. Appreciated.

No worries mate, I was completely ignorant about it back when we first signed him, so just thought I'd pass on what I've learned since. :thumbsu:

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
I don't doubt that for a minute. ;)

The inflammation angle is interesting, I don't recall hearing that as one of the benefits of fasting before. :thumbsu:

No worries mate, I was completely ignorant about it back when we first signed him, so just thought I'd pass on what I've learned since. :thumbsu:
One thing we all know...Bachar seems to grow another leg at Ramadan !

Sep 26, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Had appendicitis early 2019, came back for one game I think and then we've heard nothing as he had some complications I was told. His 2019 was a write-off and we know 2020 was a non-football event for guys like Ben trying re-build his health and strength.

He had a great vertical leap, speed is really good for his size and super competitive. This season is important for him and I hope he finds all those attributes and more for huge crack at 2022 (or sooner if called on)

Cheers for that Phar Ace, yep, fingers crossed he makes it. Tough side to crack into eh

Cheers for that Phar Ace, yep, fingers crossed he makes it. Tough side to crack into eh
Better believe it - you and I might struggle too ;)

Tigeral

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Being at the game, at no point did I think we were going to lose. We sat in the same area as the Geelong Prelim, with the half time deficit similar, their superstar milking a staging free at half time and the game finishing with a similar margin. Thankfully, Bont shanked his kick, because if he did kick it, there would have been real issues for the umpires, who basically cheated for the dogs for the entire first half. I dunno what it would have sounded like on TV, but we let them know. They were atrocious. Thankfully, someone must have "spoken" to them at the break, because the game got very weird for us as we are not used to some of the 50/50s going our way. Regarding the Dogs - Who have they beaten ? Apart from the first quarter, where they ran us ragged, they have short people in their backline, competing forwards for every inside 50, and they throw the ball around. Lynch kicks straight in the first half and we would gone on to win by 6-8 goals.

How satisfying is it to have your best three mids out, and you smash the midfield that is considered "the best" (or one of) ? Bolton is simply a shorter version of Dusty that can take screamers. Mansell stays in the side as does RCD. Baker permanent forward, he is brilliant and can replace Aarts, Rioli or Castagna - all three were non existent as per the standards of the premiership years. Rioli did do a lot behind the play, so he should stay.

Houli, Nank and Broad were really solid. Lynch is threatening to kick a bag soon. He marked everything.

Get stuffed anyone that was writing us off.

In - Dusty, Vlastuin
Out - Ross, Aarts
Great post. Love the passion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back