Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I'm not referring to the samurai version!

Change your UN to "Thechonmage" and avoid confusion.;) :thumbsu:

1619999823803.png

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that's a little harsh considering almost everything points to the fact we basically told Higgo he probably wouldn't get another contract and that he should consider leaving. I have some mixed feelings on brown leaving considering he literally knocked back a very good offer, but on Higgo I wish him nothing but the best. Both good blokes but IMO Higgo was also a very very good off field leader for the younger mids, and his exit was handled in a far better and more respectful manner by all parties involved.

As for Cunners, there is a 0.0000% chance he ever asks to leave.

BlueandWhiteinmyBlood

Club Legend
May 27, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bit of a cheap shot at Higgo. He did it all for us: 108 games, VC, 2 x Syd, 1 x AA and if it wasn’t for a few injuries could of had a few more of each of the above. He left nothing in the tank at North. I have no bitter taste in my mouth re him leaving and I’m fairly sure he gave us the Lizard as a parting gift. Higgo will be forever a shinboner

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's him, met him a couple of times. Once I was a kid, the other I was working in a petrol station at Gardenvale and he struggled (bent down and sidled) to get thru the door. No one had ever done that. It'd hurt if he cleaned you up.

That was my local servo growing up. My dogs ran through the car wash a couple of times. We owned a New Foundland that we tied to a hire trailer one day while we went inside to by twisties. she pulled the trailer all the way up to the entrance door to see where we were.

To add to that, every time Dermott Brereton commentates on our games, he is full of praise and admiration for Benny. I suspect that Benny might be one of Dermott's favourite players, because of the way he goes about it.
His top 2-3.

He said this a few weeks ago:

BRERETON: Ben Cunnington is definitely in my top two or three players in the comp. If there has ever been a team that is reliant on the DNA of a players want for physicality in our sport, it is him. He also plays centre half-forward, really, really well
Apr 19, 2021

I don't remember that happening but iirc it was a fair way to pull a trailer.

I worked there in 1990 and a bit either side. I still remember the day Saddam invaded Kuwait. I was working when that happened. It was mental.

Back