Toast Round 3, 2021: Sandringham v Box Hill, May 2nd, Trevor Barker oval @ 2:30

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This result says to me theres enough talent on the list to keep us competitive in the short term. Saints depth not as good as people think the way they got steamrolled in the 2nd half by a less experienced side. Only reason Morris isnt playing 1s is he is a little untidy with ball in hand. Defensive pressure is the best at the club for a small forward. Is an animal and what the team desperarely needs. Rekon he is very close to putting it all together and being best 22.
Could you see him getting a call up at some point soon? Seems like some of the stuff we're lacking in the seniors re forward 50 pressure we have in spades in the 2's in the form of Brockman and Morris.
Would be cool to see them transition into the seniors and get some experience with eachother at that level.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Happy to see Brockman get a couple. Need him back in for mine.
I think Tyler Brockman has everything in his kit bag to be an excellent AFL footballer. He is also the players the Senior side needs.
But I hope we give him time at Box Hill to learn how to dominate against men in the VFL competition... which I think he will. Some young players are ready from the day they arrive, most are not.
Having Sam Mitchell (a player who knew how to get the best out of himself) as his couch is only going to make him a better footballer. I hope Brockman wins a flag for BoxHill before he comes back to AFL.

I am excited to have him in our future.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's had to completely change his mindset. Was a leading fwd at U18s and now all he does is focus on defensive. Has been a pretty amazing demonstration of mindset. Not getting the offensive results which at face value looks like he is struggling but as someone demonstrating they can adapt has been fantastic. Just hope he can clean up his ball handling.
That's a really good sign on so many front's - Obviously it's a credit to the boy himself, but also to our coaches in being able to get through to him - great signs all the way round for the club.

View from the nosebleed

A place to discuss all things sport.
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This result says to me theres enough talent on the list to keep us competitive in the short term. Saints depth not as good as people think the way they got steamrolled in the 2nd half by a less experienced side. Only reason Morris isnt playing 1s is he is a little untidy with ball in hand. Defensive pressure is the best at the club for a small forward. Is an animal and what the team desperarely needs. Rekon he is very close to putting it all together and being best 22.

Is being tidy with the ball was a pre-requisite for our senior side, then he must be woeful is he's behind some of the guys in the 1s.

Liking everything I here about this kid though, so hopefully he can tidy up his disposal and we can get him in. We really lack a defensive forward at the moment

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being at the game yesterday, I'd go as far to say the cupboard is pretty bare in regards to the HFC players.
It was mainly the Box Hill Listed players who got us over the line. Oh OK Howe was good in the last, but so he should be dominating at that level.
Brockman for me should never have been dropped & needs to be played to gain experience.
I see this as more a bad loos for Sandy as they had a lot more experience on the field & let this slip badly.
For the record been to Beach Rd oval at least a dozen times & never seen a loss.

Last edited:

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Went to the game today stood near the interchange was most impressed by Andy Collins the way he spoke to the boys was always so positive even when we were looking down the barrel
Was right there as well for the 2nd half, he was phenomenal, really instilled the belief in the boys that it was winnable. Biggest half-time defecit comeback for Box Hill Hawks since that final against Werribee in 2003.

Being at the game yesterday, I'd go as far to say the cupboard is pretty bare in regards to the HFC players.
It was mainly the Box Hill Listed players who got us over the line. Oh OK Howe was good in the last, but so he should be dominating at that level.
Brockman for me should never have been dropped & needs to be played to gain experience.
I see this as more a bad loos for Sandy as they had a lot more experience on the field & let this slip badly.
For the record been to Beach Rd oval at least a dozen times & never seen a loss.
To be fair, we’re a developing list with a few injuries, so we’re not going to have a large number of players at Box Hill right now as depth.

DGB, Day, Pepper, Mitchell, Sicily, Burgoyne and Ceglar all unavailable, and Pattons spot on the list is empty.

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be fair, we’re a developing list with a few injuries, so we’re not going to have a large number of players at Box Hill right now as depth.

DGB, Day, Pepper, Mitchell, Sicily, Burgoyne and Ceglar all unavailable, and Pattons spot on the list is empty.
Day & Sic the only lot there that are really in our best 22 going forward at present.
Denver & Seamus as yet unproven & suppose I was a bit harsh on Downie but looked out of it yesterday.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thoughts from watching the game instead of studying:
  1. Howe got the pill a fair bit and looks very composed at this level, but that composure could well be because at this level he has more time and doesn't look as slow in comparison to what's going on around him
  2. Downie does a hell of a lot of running, but I'm not sure how smart he is with his running. Strong body- once he gets some more experience I think he will be a very solid presence on our wings or chopping out in the guts. Does a lot right with ball in hand, but doesn't get enough of it (could have been because he was on the inactive wing for most of the game)
  3. Nash looks good at the level, but still hasn't learned enough at this stage. Have always been a big fan of his but am worried at this stage.
  4. Brockman was our most damaging player from an AFL listed point of view. He should be in the seniors and should stay there. Shirked one contest but laid some really intelligent tackles and set up a lot of our attacking play.
  5. Greaves wasn't seen much.
  6. Morris hits hard and was always harrying when I could see him. I think him and Brockman would be smart inclusions in the next couple weeks as they both bring things that we are lacking.
  7. Brooksby looks like a players dad more than anything else. That being said his presence out there seems to be really positive- am a big fan of what he appears to be bringing to the youngsters around him
  8. I can now see the knocks on Hartely.
A lot of the BHH listed players played really well- I really like Newcombe and Aduci.

Thoughts from watching the game instead of studying:
  1. Howe got the pill a fair bit and looks very composed at this level, but that composure could well be because at this level he has more time and doesn't look as slow in comparison to what's going on around him
  2. Downie does a hell of a lot of running, but I'm not sure how smart he is with his running. Strong body- once he gets some more experience I think he will be a very solid presence on our wings or chopping out in the guts. Does a lot right with ball in hand, but doesn't get enough of it (could have been because he was on the inactive wing for most of the game)
  3. Nash looks good at the level, but still hasn't learned enough at this stage. Have always been a big fan of his but am worried at this stage.
  4. Brockman was our most damaging player from an AFL listed point of view. He should be in the seniors and should stay there. Shirked one contest but laid some really intelligent tackles and set up a lot of our attacking play.
  5. Greaves wasn't seen much.
  6. Morris hits hard and was always harrying when I could see him. I think him and Brockman would be smart inclusions in the next couple weeks as they both bring things that we are lacking.
  7. Brooksby looks like a players dad more than anything else. That being said his presence out there seems to be really positive- am a big fan of what he appears to be bringing to the youngsters around him
  8. I can now see the knocks on Hartely.
A lot of the BHH listed players played really well- I really like Newcombe and Aduci.
Sammy apparently loves Newcombe.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Newcombe was very impressive again yesterday. I really like him, but of course he's not really the type we are crying out for.

When critiquing Downie, we need to remember that coming into our system as a running wingman he would be re-learning how to play. Patterns, systems etc etc. He's about 3 games in. Yeah the media said pre-draft he could be plug and play but they don't know crap. Give him 12 months, not 3 weeks.

Day & Sic the only lot there that are really in our best 22 going forward at present.
Denver & Seamus as yet unproven & suppose I was a bit harsh on Downie but looked out of it yesterday.
Also missing I would include O'Meara and Wingard in our best 22 o_O:rolleyes::grinv1:.

Le Grice was injured at training on Thursday and there were two late changes with Pepper [Unknown] and Porter [Ill] being replaced. The three replacements were all contributors in a very good team performance in the second half. Killer Kilpatrick was good around the ground and kicked a very good goal, Stu Horner had a terrific last quarter in defence and James Blanck was moved to the forward line in the second half and in the third quarter he took a very strong contested mark on the boundary line, evaded the lunging defender and ran a good 20 metres to kick what I thought was a team lifting goal. I must have missed the bounce seen by the umpire :oops:.

Josh DeLuca playing his first game had an equal game high 29 possessions and worked tirelessly to get us back into the game in the second half. It was significant that 4 of the 6 players with 20 or more possessions were BHH listed players and 14 of the 19 goals were kicked by BHH listed players. The improvement showed by Vince Adduci and Mason De Wit is a credit to their dedication during lockdown.

In the second quarter Sandy had a purple patch when their kicks from wherever just sailed through the goals. I think Goalous Rectumous is the Latin terminology. The second half comeback says a lot about the positive reinforcement of the coaches and the character of the players. Watching the BHH comeback was very enjoyable after the disappointing performance at Artificial Park. The skills of Brockman and Downie are exciting.

This is a great sign- if we take him in the msd or in the rookie draft or something at the end of the year that'd be a good indication of Sammy's intention re: our list.
He’s not want we need, so I’d be concerned if we took him in the MSD

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He’s not want we need, so I’d be concerned if we took him in the MSD
Should clarify: I'd see it as a great sign for Mitch's long term plans around the club and taking an active role in shaping a team he wants to coach in the future.

Should clarify: I'd see it as a great sign for Mitch's long term plans around the club and taking an active role in shaping a team he wants to coach in the future.
I don’t think we need to worry about Sam going anywhere.

Back