List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems pretty ordinary that the AFL forced the issue. You think of the leeway handed to clubs like Sydney with Tippett and you'd have hoped they'd have had some understanding given the circumstances of Beams departure, and Langdons early retirement. Reasonable discretion could be applied. It seems the rules are flexible if you're north of the Murray, but be damned if you're not.
There’s no good reason why we couldn’t have done the same thing that Sydney did with Tippett, that’s on us and Beams, not the AFL. I can only assume that Beams refused to be put on the rookie list and wanted his payout immediately. It sounds like a very Beams thing to do.

Mick F

Mighty Snr
Dec 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It seems pretty ordinary that the AFL forced the issue. You think of the leeway handed to clubs like Sydney with Tippett and you'd have hoped they'd have had some understanding given the circumstances of Beams departure, and Langdons early retirement. Reasonable discretion could be applied. It seems the rules are flexible if you're north of the Murray, but be damned if you're not.
That’s why they call it gambling.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

I forgot about this change, so the idea of stockpiling points, via late picks, will only go so far.

We’ll probably get some by doing it, but I think we’ll definitely have to trade out a player or two and/or trade in next years future picks.

Just like the AFL to have changed the rules when we need to exploit them...

Last edited:

If they
True. I guess the carrot ditching Treloar was avoiding AFL sanctions for salary cap breaches. Should have been De Goey we ditched to North years ago. Would have got a pick then too.
We would have got a couple of picks, but at the time noone would have done it. He was the it kid with many thinking he'd develop into the best player in the league.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
If they

We would have got a couple of picks, but at the time noone would have done it. He was the it kid with many thinking he'd develop into the best player in the league.

I know. Very much retrospective wisdom. It was a big sliding doors moment for us though.

Just want to take this opportunity to congratulate Knightmare for his picking of will drew 5 years ago. Close to Port’s best over the weekend, whilst we took Sam McLarty three picks before him in the draft.
Horror draft for us actually, after we also missed on Tom Stewart and Josh Rotham. Whilst we also took Kayle Kirby ahead of Jack Graham, Luke Ryan, Mitchell Lewis and Nick Larkey. Ouch...

Pretty ordinary work from Derek that year..

Kirby might been a Gun IF he did not have a Heart Issue

SAM WEIDEMAN (MELBOURNE)

Already clubs have started inquiring about Weideman’s services, with Collingwood believed to be one of a quartet to ask the question.

There is a chance Adam Tomlinson’s injury will clear space in the senior team for Weideman, but the Demons are just as likely to play Harry Petty in the third key back slot.

The romance of the Weideman name returning to the Pies is irresistible but they would need to offer a future pick or get back into the draft given they will be in points deficit with Nick Daicos. Weideman has kicked 14.6 in the last three weeks in the VFL and is too good for that standard, but the Demons definitely prioritised Ben Brown’s debut over his elevation. That would have to get him thinking about this future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hot take but I think we trade John Noble come end of season for a Late 2nd, early 3rd round pick assuming there is a buyer. While being a solid player, I think he has a limited scope of improvement and isn't a particularly good defender, nor ball user for a half back but is far from the least of our worries atm so it is going unnoticed. I personally think Trent Bianco will be the better player and any points to assist us with Daicos could seriously help us avoid the amount of debt coming our way.

Been vocal on a De Goey trade and I think it needs to be done. He is an expendable player with value IMO who will never reachhis potential at Collingwood.

Would also be trying to get 4th round picks for guys like WHE, Madgen & Cox. Don't think we will be having a busy period but if we could net a late first,early 3rd and 2 4th round picks or so, could be in a somewhat better position to what we are in now.

Hot take but I think we trade John Noble come end of season for a Late 2nd, early 3rd round pick assuming there is a buyer. While being a solid player, I think he has a limited scope of improvement and isn't a particularly good defender, nor ball user for a half back but is far from the least of our worries atm so it is going unnoticed. I personally think Trent Bianco will be the better player and any points to assist us with Daicos could seriously help us avoid the amount of debt coming our way.

Been vocal on a De Goey trade and I think it needs to be done. He is an expendable player with value IMO who will never reachhis potential at Collingwood.

Would also be trying to get 4th round picks for guys like WHE, Madgen & Cox. Don't think we will be having a busy period but if we could net a late first,early 3rd and 2 4th round picks or so, could be in a somewhat better position to what we are in now.
We're slow. We'd be mad to trade a senior player with pace.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Degoey has a lot more value to us next year at FA.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

We won’t be trading DeGoey and we would be stupid to do so. Why trade him to another club for * all and see him dominate every other week? We will have a new coach next year so a lot of players will get a fresh chance

I think Josh Kelly is the one we are after. If he chooses to opt out of GWS, it will be his last chance to play in front of crowds in big matches at the G. I dont think he is as good as his reputation, but still would assist Adams and ease the pressure on Pendles and Sidebottom in their final years.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Josh Kelly is the one we are after. If he chooses to opt out of GWS, it will be his last chance to play in front of crowds in big matches at the G. I dont think he is as good as his reputation, but still would assist Adams and ease the pressure on Pendles and Sidebottom in their final years.
Hard pass. Would be a continuation of everything wrong with our list management

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

This typical case of "lets trade s**t players for 3-4th round picks" never happens.

We won’t be trading DeGoey and we would be stupid to do so. Why trade him to another club for fu** all and see him dominate every other week? We will have a new coach next year so a lot of players will get a fresh chance
It'd be part of our revolutionary buy high sell low strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back