Autopsy 11 Losses in a row - Booooooo - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think having top-level KPPs gives greater leverage in big games. For years we had the wood in the Derbies along with Pav and McPharlin in their pomp, the shoe is on the other foot since late 2015.
We dominated over Worsfold. We struggled soon after Simpson got there and implemented a Hawthorn like style.

Even at pick 8, Logue was ab underwhelming pick. No one knew what’s his best position. He needs a full season to judge. Atm he can’t get his body right, hopefully now will string games together.

We dominated over Worsfold. We struggled soon after Simpson got there and implemented a Hawthorn like style.
We've not had a positive ledger in any year from 2016 onwards. First two years of Simpson Freo had a 3-1 advantage. So it's probably not as simple as game plan.

We've not had a positive ledger in any year from 2016 onwards. First two years of Simpson Freo had a 3-1 advantage. So it's probably not as simple as game plan.
They were a shambles when he took over
I actually felt sorry for them (never again). It took him time. But once he imbedded the new game plan into them, that was the end of us.

Logue isn't slow and his skills are fine.
You've got a downer on the whole club at the minute.
Fair enough I,'ve been there plenty of times over the years
Logue is too one sided to play at full back and he had absolutely no idea how to play on Kennedy, didnt stand in front of him to block a lead. He needs to play further up the field.

Logue is too one sided to play at full back and he had absolutely no idea how to play on Kennedy, didnt stand in front of him to block a lead. He needs to play further up the field.

I agree that Logue is not a full back but he has played on Kennedy and towelled him up.
The backs had no chop out at all from The mids. The ball that came in gave the backs little chance. The mids are the ones that should be copping the flak.

I agree that Logue is not a full back but he has played on Kennedy and towelled him up.
The backs had no chop out at all from The mids. The ball that came in gave the backs little chance. The mids are the ones that should be copping the flak.
To be fair, reading through the various threads, I think everyone’s copped a whack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were a shambles when he took over
I actually felt sorry for them (never again). It took him time. But once he imbedded the new game plan into them, that was the end of us.
Know the last win against them was in 2015, where we kicked the first 11 goals and were up by 72 points at one stage.. the next derby completely hoodwinked, and never looked like beating them for years.

Dog of a game, one of the worst.

A game where you see the disconnect of supporters and players, with the disparity of how much it means to either party.

Three examples of this,

- Kelly, the player we offered (potentially) more money to play for us, but didn't want to, was allowed contact free stoppages and collected 42 disposals.
- Gaff, the player who caved in the mouth of a teenager, the prized jewel in our 'rebuild', was allowed to run around unchecked and collect 35 disposals.
- Kennedy, laid a heavy (fair) bump on a completely vulnerable 19 year old playing his sixth AFL game, who was playing through a dislocated shoulder... and then Kennedy just jogged back to position, smiling and joking with his team mates at three quarter time.

I see this as a supporter, having an adult meltdown on the couch that is so stark to my normal behaviour that even my dog notices. Brennan Cox jogs back to position to stand on his man and then I'm reminded that it's just a job for them.

Nothing is lonelier than knowing that, the least they could do is pretend it's not.
Yes indeed - these players lack a general ferocity for the competition at hand! If Kennedy had deliberately targeted my injured, nineteen year-old team-mate, and I too was playing in defence, I would have proceeded to antagonise him for at least a thirty second period!

Why we playing Tucker if that’s the way he’s managed? Blakely is fit, it seems the coach rank players and you’re off the injury list, in you go. Was against it without any WAFL game last week. He only played once for Peel seniors. Crowden does nothing on the field so what’s the point of 62% TOG. Baffling.
Sturt should be in and Blakely has to stop being maligned. Play him, give him a chance. No way should Tucker have played regardless of who coaches like about him.
You mean we should play the conner blakely who played 65% TOG in round 1? Instead of tucker at 70% first game back? Righto then.

we are fortunate enough to have ruck/forwards who can rotate and stay on field longer, allowing us to rotate the midfield more. WC use Vardy and NN at 57% and 63% TOG.

A day later I’m still sickened at that performance. Given the context of the game, the build up, the relative trajectory of both clubs - it probably ranks in the top 5 worst defeats of the last 10 or 15 years. And we have seen some shockers but believe me that was up there.
At half time I was reading people on here saying we’d win it and I seriously wondered what they were smoking as it was clear to me that we were being bullied, physically and mentally, pretty much from the moment David Mundy kicked the goal to put us 12-0 up. We’d literally kicked every chance we got yet they still put 70 points on us in one half of football. There were many indications of disappointment during the game but watching a no-name Jamaine Jones wrenching the ball out of the arms of our two time Brownlow medalist early in the second quarter to set up a Eagles counter attack and goal summed up the difference between the sides.
Where was the passion? Desire? Intensity? Willingness to dig in and fight? All in blue and yellow jumpers. These are traits you take for granted in any professional sports team I thought?
We talk lots on this forum about the big issues facing the Fremantle football club.
-Not drafting a key forward.
-Poor connection when going I50.
-Retaining young talent.
-Tactics and structures.
-Top 10 picks, rookie picks, whatever (Jones for them was taken in the PSD for gods sake!)
-Our injury issues
-The west Australian media.

The bottom line is that yesterday’s shambles was about none of those things. It was about something far worse. A lack of heart. A team with no soul. We looked like really bad GWS or GC at times out there for Christ’s sake.
The team is too nice. They are all a bunch of delightful young fellows. Yesterday, west coast showed up ready for war. We were like lambs to the slaughter. The last time this team was in a mindset like a serious team was the 2015 prelim final against Hawthorn. Yeah we lost but we went down fighting to a generational side that day. In 5 years since we have barely thrown a punch to become just about the most irrelevant side in the AFL.
Yesterday was just so demoralising. The Eagles must actually feels sorry for us now we are that mentally weak and brittle against them.
Just imagine for a second the Gaff incident in 2018 had been reversed. That one of our boys had broken the jaw of young Oscar Allen instead. Would they have let the culprit from our team jog around gathering 30 touches a game in the following 6 derbies without laying a finger on him? You must be joking.
I’d love to see some passion at training on Tuesday. A few lads fighting with each other. Showing us they care at least. Next weekend against Brisbane is now a defining moment for this team. Either stand up and show some fight or else piss off the stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back