Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fell $63 short of the Western Bulldogs Good Friday Appeal target of $5000. It was a very modest target so that's a bit disappointing although I imagine there would have been collections tins etc at the ground, which people would have contributed to and wouldn't be included in this total.

Anyway thanks to everyone who contributed. It was a good cause.

Oh and if you wanted to contribute and forgot, it's probably not too late ... ;)

Was a slow day and somehow ended up on Liam Picken's Wikipedia page. Someones done a bit of editing to improve his career stats, a good laugh (who ever did it had a dislike for commas and full stops):

AFL career

Picken made his debut against North Melbourne on 5 April 2009, collecting 99 possessions in a traditional tagging role against Kangaroos stalwart Brent Harvey, in which he kept his opponent goalless and largely ineffective.

Since his brilliant debut, he has since played on other key players to great effect including Andrew McLeod, Leigh Montagna and Brett Deledio. He played on Deledio twice in 2009 and restricted the star player to just 16 and 13 disposals respectively, the only two times during the season that Deledio had fewer than 20 touches.

During a match against Fremantle in 2013, Picken accidentally collided with goal umpire Courtney Lai in the third quarter, when he was attempting to smother a point-blank shot at goal by Michael Walters; the result was that Lai, a qualified doctor, suffered what was a self-diagnosed an ACL tear. Picken recalled the clash as being "an accident".

Although branded as a tagger, Picken could also win possession of the ball and use it well. When Luke Beveridge took over as coach of the Bulldogs at the end of 2014, he gave Picken a more attacking role.[3] During the Bulldogs' amazing run to the 2016 AFL Premiership, Picken was a crucial figure, starring in all four finals and kicked three goals (including the sealer) in the Grand Final. He was awarded the Best Finals Player by the Western Bulldogs.

In 2017, the Australian food company Australian Almonds approached Picken, along with fellow footballers Scott Selwood, Max Gawn, Brianna Davey and Ellie Blackburn, to serve as an ambassador of their campaign to recognize hard-working but low-profile individuals through the Australian Hard Nut Awards.[3]

While playing in a pre-season game against Hawthorn in Ballarat, Picken received an accidental knock to the head and suffered severe concussion and because of side effects missed the entire 2018 season.

On 1 April 2019, after numerous comeback attempts, Picken announced his retirement due to ongoing concussion symptoms.[5]

Liam Picken is one of the best players to ever play the game he once defeated the Kangaroos by 200 recording 200 touches and 20 goals all in the first quarter until he got badly injured breaking his knee but he still played and got 2 more goals but also getting 500 more touches this game was a blowout after the first seconds the first goal of the game was from 100 meters out and Liam Picken torpedoed it.

Was a slow day and somehow ended up on Liam Picken's Wikipedia page. Someones done a bit of editing to improve his career stats, a good laugh (who ever did it had a dislike for commas and full stops):

AFL career

Picken made his debut against North Melbourne on 5 April 2009, collecting 99 possessions in a traditional tagging role against Kangaroos stalwart Brent Harvey, in which he kept his opponent goalless and largely ineffective.

Since his brilliant debut, he has since played on other key players to great effect including Andrew McLeod, Leigh Montagna and Brett Deledio. He played on Deledio twice in 2009 and restricted the star player to just 16 and 13 disposals respectively, the only two times during the season that Deledio had fewer than 20 touches.

During a match against Fremantle in 2013, Picken accidentally collided with goal umpire Courtney Lai in the third quarter, when he was attempting to smother a point-blank shot at goal by Michael Walters; the result was that Lai, a qualified doctor, suffered what was a self-diagnosed an ACL tear. Picken recalled the clash as being "an accident".

Although branded as a tagger, Picken could also win possession of the ball and use it well. When Luke Beveridge took over as coach of the Bulldogs at the end of 2014, he gave Picken a more attacking role.[3] During the Bulldogs' amazing run to the 2016 AFL Premiership, Picken was a crucial figure, starring in all four finals and kicked three goals (including the sealer) in the Grand Final. He was awarded the Best Finals Player by the Western Bulldogs.

In 2017, the Australian food company Australian Almonds approached Picken, along with fellow footballers Scott Selwood, Max Gawn, Brianna Davey and Ellie Blackburn, to serve as an ambassador of their campaign to recognize hard-working but low-profile individuals through the Australian Hard Nut Awards.[3]

While playing in a pre-season game against Hawthorn in Ballarat, Picken received an accidental knock to the head and suffered severe concussion and because of side effects missed the entire 2018 season.

On 1 April 2019, after numerous comeback attempts, Picken announced his retirement due to ongoing concussion symptoms.[5]

Liam Picken is one of the best players to ever play the game he once defeated the Kangaroos by 200 recording 200 touches and 20 goals all in the first quarter until he got badly injured breaking his knee but he still played and got 2 more goals but also getting 500 more touches this game was a blowout after the first seconds the first goal of the game was from 100 meters out and Liam Picken torpedoed it.

I don't see where it has been edited? I remember that 22 goal, 700 possession game. He didn't even get the 3 brownlow votes.

AFL career

That's brilliant, I thought I was going to expire from laughter. As Substance said, the 22 goal game was a standout - remember it like it happened yesterday. Selling him short on that 100 metre torpedo goal though - after all he did kick it from the back pocket, and on his left foot.

Gotta say - not loving the time change for the game next week. It’s not like the AFL couldn’t have planned for the AFLW final before this- and the change from early game to twilight game is good for some but not for others (like me). Was looking forward to getting to this game and being home at a reasonable time...

The standard midnight Friday AFL Tables research has been underway.

Daniel Pearce. Can anyone name another Dogs play with worse results from 5+ games?
He played 6 games, all of which were losses. Here's the margins: 92, 77, 76, 54, 20, 18

Only Tom Jones (1926) and Stan Wallis (1948-1949) played in more games without any wins, with 8 and 7 games respectively. Tom Jones suffered some beltings including a 126 point loss but also lost games by 1 and 2 points, perhaps suggesting he is the unluckiest?

Does anyone know where Brad Lynch has ended up playing in 2021.
He was supposedly going to play for Swan Districts his home club, but is not on the list and obviously not there.
Chrs
Stephen

Does anyone know where Brad Lynch has ended up playing in 2021.
He was supposedly going to play for Swan Districts his home club, but is not on the list and obviously not there.
Chrs
Stephen
He's on Southport's list for the VFL, alongside Billy Gowers and Lucas Webb.

Pretty sure Josh Bruce has a minor role in The Serpent on Netflix.

the club needs a singles night. Gf broke up with me last year and I’m looking to get back into the dating game. Would be awesome if the club held a singles night. See a lot of cute girls at games with their girlfriends and i think it would be cool if I had a partner that shared my love for the doggies. 🤷‍♂️

the club needs a singles night. Gf broke up with me last year and I’m looking to get back into the dating game. Would be awesome if the club held a singles night. See a lot of cute girls at games with their girlfriends and i think it would be cool if I had a partner that shared my love for the doggies. 🤷‍♂️

Don't mind me. Just waiting for Scrag to reply to this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standard midnight Friday AFL Tables research has been underway.

Daniel Pearce. Can anyone name another Dogs play with worse results from 5+ games?
He played 6 games, all of which were losses. Here's the margins: 92, 77, 76, 54, 20, 18

Only Tom Jones (1926) and Stan Wallis (1948-1949) played in more games without any wins, with 8 and 7 games respectively. Tom Jones suffered some beltings including a 126 point loss but also lost games by 1 and 2 points, perhaps suggesting he is the unluckiest?
Zeph Skinner was part of one win and 7 losses including 6 in a row before he never played again.

EDIT: the last 13 games of Lukas Markovic's AFL career were all losses too.

Former player Ken Greenwood passed away on Sunday aged 79.
55 games with Carlton (1962/66) and 73 games with Footscray (1967/72).

Club notice in Tributes section:

Former player Ken Greenwood passed away on Sunday aged 79.
55 games with Carlton (1962/66) and 73 games with Footscray (1967/72).

Club notice in Tributes section:

RIP Ken. One of the first players I knew as a little kid, thanks to his appearance on Scanlen's footy cards. I have an extensive card collection from the early 1900s on, but this (and the Ron McGown/Ivan Marsh, both from the 1972 set) remains one of all-time my favourites, as it just captures the era:

1618963055724.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back