Autopsy Autopsy vs Melbourne - Round 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched a replay of the game. The boys are playing with more confidence and seem to be able to work the field better.
I cannot believe the carry on about Mahony, he gets to the spot, he f..g brave, he runs all day, he is prepared to get in and go hard and he's played less than 20 games, he deserves better than the crap some numpties on here dish out.
Our poor forward line, they are so up against it, but cudos to them, they fight it out.
I love Curtis, but he had a bugger of a game today.
Atu was a bit under whelming.
Phillips still got mountains to climb.
Menadue?
Still there young and have little experience so they have time.
I watch the vfl as well, those calling for Garner... Why?

Just wondering though, does anyone else reckon Menadue runs like Cliff Young?

because it's a name they know.

Honestly it's about where it ends.

See something they don't like in the AFL. Look over names from VFL pick out most known. Bang.

? By mainstream media are you referring to the TV or radio broadcast that I mentioned? I didn't think the radio commentators sugar coated anything.

Mainstream as in the AFL's "official" key partners - Fox, 7, SEN, their internal media and the atrocious Murdoch papers. ABC would squarely be in the independent category.

Yeah, we're flying. No cause for concern.

Realistically if we played more than a half of footy and won that game, we'd have people in here whinging about how we can't lose pick #1.

I'd much rather the people who have standards for our performances, who then go quiet when we do put in an improved performance, than those who want us to lose at all costs.

The bottom line is that we are sh*t. This is the worst start since X. We have not come within 5 goals of any side in 9 matches of football. It's silly to come in and gloat about how people who aren't happy about this are slightly quieter this week when we competed for a half against the top side, compared to when we got belted by 120 odd points.
We knew this was gonna happen tho, after last year. Or should have. Maybe not to this extent but we didn't count on losing four of the top 6 in the Syd.

Its obvious fitness is an issue, the forward line has problems and our skills need to improve. But there are also constant improvements and it seems clear what they are trying to do onfield. The club communicates this well and we are seeing it onfield. We see improvements in poor areas every week. And we are missing four of our best six players last year.

Since the end of 2018 with Maj things have been crazy. So much chaos and upheaval. The club itself is resilient enough to deal with those challenges but the playing group weren't. So we were in a bit of a rut. For the first time since (or even before) we have a clearly articulated plan and can see it unfolding. 2017 and 2019 were terrible starts. Understandable to a point cos both times we delisted or moved on 10 or more players at the end of the previous season. And had other associated issues - Maj's health issues and the fallout from sacking Boomer. Here we are having moved on the footy department and 14 players since last year. On top of COVID.

So long as we keep seeing improvement I can live with it.

We knew this was gonna happen tho, after last year. Or should have. Maybe not to this extent but we didn't count on losing four of the top 6 in the Syd.

This is it in a nutshell. There was always going to be a big reset needed but you add Dumont, Tarrant, Lmac, Jed & Corr and it looks a lot sharper. We would have expected all of these players to be best 22 from game 1 of this year and stiffen up the team while providing match fit cover across the ground. That's without even looking at the more borderline players that should have been ready this year and capable such as Polec, Perez etc. Not many teams can lose 4 of their top 6 players from the last year and not miss a step, certainly not teams that are already struggling, but I reckon you take the top 4 out of Richmond even and they would be in deep sh*t.

Making good progress.
Except for 10 minutes at the start of the 3rd quarter and the last 10 minutes of the game we equalled, if not bettered, the top team.
The fact that we stopped their run on in the 3rd is actually a big improvement on most of our performances in the last half dozen years.
I expect our improvement will be a rollercoaster ride but I’m certainly seeing some real positives.

Just watched a replay of the game. The boys are playing with more confidence and seem to be able to work the field better.
I cannot believe the carry on about Mahony, he gets to the spot, he f..g brave, he runs all day, he is prepared to get in and go hard and he's played less than 20 games, he deserves better than the crap some numpties on here dish out.
Our poor forward line, they are so up against it, but cudos to them, they fight it out.
I love Curtis, but he had a bugger of a game today.
Atu was a bit under whelming.
Phillips still got mountains to climb.
Menadue?
Still there young and have little experience so they have time.

Just wondering though, does anyone else reckon Menadue runs like Cliff Young?
Mahony was getting to the right spot last year too and was frequently let down by the team’s poor disposal.
He continues to run hard, building his tank and is noticeably getting strong in the upper body. He clearly works hard on the track and the coaches back him and his resilience.
His importance as a link in the chain of the new North Melbourne team will become increasingly evident as the game plan becomes hard wired over the coming 16 months.

Mahony was getting to the right spot last year too and was frequently let down by the team’s poor disposal.
He continues to run hard, building his tank and is noticeably getting strong in the upper body. He clearly works hard on the track and the coaches back him and his resilience.
His importance as a link in the chain of the new North Melbourne team will become increasingly evident as the game plan becomes hard wired over the coming 16 months.

The wheel will turn for him mate.

Where's all the posters being like "we are the worst since Fitzroy/Mark Neeld era-Melbourne/club is a shambles and the admin are to blame/worst start since the 19th century"? Isn't it true anymore?

1) Fitzroy were 0-7 & 52% in 1996, North are 0-7 & 49%. Fitzroy won their round 8, 1996 game.
2) I CBF'ed going through the all time ladders & doing the percentages, but we're still in that territory.
3) Hideous admin ARE to blame for this.

1) Fitzroy were 0-7 & 52% in 1996, North are 0-7 & 49%. Fitzroy won their round 8, 1996 game.
2) I CBF'ed going through the all time ladders & doing the percentages, but we're still in that territory.
3) Hideous admin ARE to blame for this.
Good.

Most of us think that some short term pain is worth it for the potential long term gain.

Lah lah lah I'm not listening.
You should be embarrassed about some of the crap you've written this year.

The board didn't stop chasing against Footscray. The gameplan didn't constantly turn things over.

Our players need to be better. The fact we can see them getting better right now is good. Its a clear change of direction as a side for the first time this century. The admin you keep panning has said what it wants to do and is moving in that direction reasonably well. The coach you don't like is finding new ways to get the best out of guys like Hall and Turner. Adapting the side to their strengths like that Barassi fella you referred to last week.

We couldn't keep doing the same old s**t. We hit a wall last year. Something had to change.

The board didn't stop chasing against Footscray. The gameplan didn't constantly turn things over.

Our players need to be better. The fact we can see them getting better right now is good. Its a clear change of direction as a side for the first time this century. The admin you keep panning has said what it wants to do and is moving in that direction reasonably well. The coach you don't like is finding new ways to get the best out of guys like Hall and Turner. Adapting the side to their strengths like that Barassi fella you referred to last week.

We couldn't keep doing the same old sh*t. We hit a wall last year. Something had to change.

Popularity will increase even further now.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We couldn't keep doing the same old sh*t. We hit a wall last year. Something had to change.

Just like we're seeing the players and coaches performance improve over the course of the year, the board has some work to do too come the end of the season. If they don't address the medical/conditioning and development/VFL aspects then they're being negligent. I'm glad that at the end of last year they finally drew a line in the sand and committed to the current path, but it doesn't completely absolve them of past sins of which there are probably a few.

The things that need addressing also probably aren't hard decisions to make, they're much less meta than deciding between a dozen courses for the club that might all seem valid with various drawbacks to each. 2016 decision there were a few options, we chose one and it didn't work for various reasons. 2019 there were a few options, we went hard at one and it seriously blew up in our faces. Just because the approaches didn't work doesn't mean they weren't valid enough decisions to make though. Hindsight is a fun game to play, but an unfair one at times and the ones who decide on the plan aren't necessarily the ones who have to implement it which is the actual difficult part. I'm guilty of being a hindsight hero as well when it comes to post 2016 to be quite honest.

The decisions right now though appear to be pretty clear cut and rely mostly upon releasing the purse strings a bit. We need to spend more money on development and player health, and I don't think there is any cheap way around that but I'm concerned the club chasing "debt free" status (so that we can shove it up Caro's, the AFL's, and all the haters' arses) is going to nip that in the bud. I just don't think we can successfully rebuild if some of the s**t aspects at the club this year continues in the same vein going forward.

I’ve been here too long - first read I thought “the board” meant us, Bigfooty. Also true if read that way.

I’ve been here too long - first read I thought “the board” meant us, Bigfooty. Also true if read that way.
To be fair, i wouldnt have been able to chase more than like 20 seconds.

Just like we're seeing the players and coaches performance improve over the course of the year, the board has some work to do too come the end of the season. If they don't address the medical/conditioning and development/VFL aspects then they're being negligent. I'm glad that at the end of last year they finally drew a line in the sand and committed to the current path, but it doesn't completely absolve them of past sins of which there are probably a few.

The things that need addressing also probably aren't hard decisions to make, they're much less meta than deciding between a dozen courses for the club that might all seem valid with various drawbacks to each. 2016 decision there were a few options, we chose one and it didn't work for various reasons. 2019 there were a few options, we went hard at one and it seriously blew up in our faces. Just because the approaches didn't work doesn't mean they weren't valid enough decisions to make though. Hindsight is a fun game to play, but an unfair one at times and the ones who decide on the plan aren't necessarily the ones who have to implement it which is the actual difficult part. I'm guilty of being a hindsight hero as well when it comes to post 2016 to be quite honest.

The decisions right now though appear to be pretty clear cut and rely mostly upon releasing the purse strings a bit. We need to spend more money on development and player health, and I don't think there is any cheap way around that but I'm concerned the club chasing "debt free" status (so that we can shove it up Caro's, the AFL's, and all the haters' arses) is going to nip that in the bud. I just don't think we can successfully rebuild if some of the sh*t aspects at the club this year continues in the same vein going forward.
Its as much a comparison between how things are being done now and how they were done. Rather than just hindsight.

And if things had been different last year then we wouldn't have needed to go down this path.

We pushed that as far as it could go. It didn't work so we had to try something else.

Its as much a comparison between how things are being done now and how they were done. Rather than just hindsight.

And if things had been different last year then we wouldn't have needed to go down this path.

We pushed that as far as it could go. It didn't work so we had to try something else.
I don't particularly hold anything against the board for the plan after 2016 or appointing Shaw and what followed after. The implementation of the former plan was as much the cause of failure as circumstances outside of our control were for the latter plan. Which was a lot.

I'm 100% supportive of a rebuild and there are no alarm bells going off in regards to the list management or Noble's coaching. I'm not as enthusiastically confident as some, but I'm a fair distance away from disapproving of the decisions we've made and how we're approaching things. The only alarm bells I do have are for the couple of areas I mentioned previously, and I think responsibility for fixing those will ultimately lie with the board and their budgeting and I'll probably judge them accordingly in regards to that next year.

Coaches votes

North Melbourne v Melbourne
10 Bayley Fritsch (MELB)
8 Ben Cunnington (NMFC)
3 Aaron Hall (NMFC)
3 Christian Salem (MELB)
3 Christian Petracca (MELB)
2 Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)
1 Luke Jackson (MELB)

also its the same board that has implemented the current change. better to acknowledge you got it wrong and address it rather than just continuing withthe same broken model. iam not saying i are completely hapy with all the decisions, the membership department for example is poorly managed.

also its the same board that has implemented the current change. better to acknowledge you got it wrong and address it rather than just continuing withthe same broken model. iam not saying i are completely hapy with all the decisions, the membership department for example is poorly managed.
I agree.

There is plenty wrong but they definitely have a plan on field and that is the important thing.

I agree.

There is plenty wrong but they definitely have a plan on field and that is the important thing.
Our Football administration has had a complete overhaul. Our CEO, CCO and GM Football are all very new. So anyone banging on about our ladder position being the Administrations fault is just a troll. If such trolling is referring to the board then here's a quote for you from 2018:

My view was that Brads latest contract renewal could only be based upon the output of the side in the next 18 months (by mid 2019).

At this point, I don't know how any rational person could be critical of his work so far.

The board made a decision mid 2019 based on the output, so this decision must have been correct. Lets think about what the board has done wrong since. Hiring Shaw? Yeah the board is incompetent because they couldn't foresee a covid lockdown and the effect it would have on Shaws mental state? No rational person could be critical of the board for that.

The only thing I can see any troll having an issue with is the fact the board appointed a female to the role of GM Strategy and Football Ops. But it was shown that the troll had no idea what role GM of Football Ops did!

Our Board and admin have continued to make the club profitable, and has put good people in place to move us away from a decade of mediocrity. We are setting ourselves up for prolonged success, but that doesn't stop some trolls from sticking their heads out from under the bridge.

Certified Moron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back