Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure too many would be surprised by who got the 10 votes, but interesting that Duncan was the only other player to get votes from both coaches

10 Tom Hickey (SYD)
6 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 Jack Henry (GEEL)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Tom McCartin (SYD)
2 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)
1 Joel Selwood (GEEL)

Your the silliest bloke here.
After a loss you always get a blow in who just comes on to bag all the supporters for not enjoying the loss. Its weird.
We're not blaming the umps cause they were on our side the whole night and we didn't take our chances before one didn't go our way.
The same way we didn't praise the umps for the Brisbane game cause we knew they had the run of the green and didn't take their chances before one didn't go there way.
We are actually the best level headed supporters you will ever find.
really
there are enough nuff nuffs who bag the coach, and want narkle and constable to play all games
both are not fit
narkle in the second just blew up
its unprofessional to turn up so unfit

Has anyone answered how we lost from 39 conceded inside 50’s?
14 goals from 39 entries... 36% . That’s horrendous.
Their heat map shows how:
Screenshot_20210503-181804.png

They camped in our forward line - pretty much the entire team. We just put it on the boot without lowering our eyes.

It's not a tactic that works with smarter delivery. But it was effective on Saturday.

Their heat map shows how:
View attachment 1117974

They camped in our forward line - pretty much the entire team. We just put it on the boot without lowering our eyes.

It's not a tactic that works with smarter delivery. But it was effective on Saturday.

Yep, we played dumb football and they were far more efficient in their forward line.

Our statistical domination was destroyed by inefficiency of mind and movement.

Last edited:
Yes I agree there is a degree of 'defining' when one says domination. I dont think a game of footy is like a boxing match where each round you win on points ..and you lose after dominating a fight with one hit. Its more a race and who is ahead at the end.

We lost 3 out of 4 quarters. If we are winning on stats yet losing on the scoreboard then id say there are other stats that show why we lost that are more important, and perhaps there are flaws in the stats we won in.I heard DKing this morning say we should have won on that estimated goals 111 to 70 something. There is something very wrong when there is 40 points different to the outcome.

Why dont we measure inside 40's , inside 30's. Just because there is a line one the ground we measure I50's? 40 is more within scoring range. Did every I50 produce an entry that should have produced a goal? How often did a centre clearance produce a mark inside the i40?

Possessions are almost superficial as a measurement when we are playing kick to kick in the backline. What about marks around the ground. How many possessions in a chain before it produces a shot at goal. How much time in possession to produce the shots at goal. How many opponents are inside the i50 by the time we kick it in? How many times do we kick it to an out maned forward

Our tall man influence failed again. Henry was a standout which says a lot imo. It made me remember Nankervis in last year GF. Killed us at times with marks.

The missing of goals ..how much was our style a part of it? Are the forwards asked to work to far up the ground? I heard a discussion that talked about efficiency this morning that said WC forward do not go further than 70 from goal. So it may not just random when you miss shots. I wonder how often Hawkins has a shot at goal after expending a lot of energy. Its not the first time he has missed key shots at goal.

What Id like to see is the stats that show Stanleys influence against the WC and his non influence against Swans. How did that affect us. Its not the areas we won in , its the areas we lost in that I am interested in.

That McLean marked like he did is an issue. That is mark inside 50 ..but is far deadlier than a mark on the 50 Metre line.

It seemed to me that we failed to take it on more or were allowed to take it on more. Are there stats about how often we were quick and direct in Q1..but not the rest of the game

We did enough to win the game. That Swans were allowed to win is in the stats somewhere. Just saying we dominated ..and it was random bit of bad luck is almost ignoring what happened , so one can continue on with our current methods and procedures..with the attitude one can not help bad luck. We seem to have a lot of bad luck at times.
Well the stat was our conversion rate. It sucked, so we lost when we should have won comfortably.

Yep, we played dumb football and they were far more efficient in their forward line.

Out statistical domination was destroyed by inefficiency of mind and movement.

May need to look at it again but we seemed flat - particularly in the first quarter as there was little celebration when we kicked goals - looked very subdued to me.

May need to look at it again but we seemed flat - particularly in the first quarter as there was little celebration when we kicked goals - looked very subdued to me.

Uhmmm...we kicked 6 goals in the first quarter. It was our best opening quarter of the season so far.

Uhmmm...we kicked 6 goals in the first quarter. It was our best opening quarter of the season so far.

Apologies - I know we kicked 6 but it seemed to me that we weren’t around each other and feeling it like you would expect with each one we kicked- mind you I’d had a few reds by then .....

Apologies - I know we kicked 6 but it seemed to me that we weren’t around each other and feeling it like you would expect with each one we kicked- mind you I’d had a few reds by then .....

Contrast the reaction of Papley who went stir crazy inciting some excitement and passion amongst his teammates.

Not for everyone, but the difference was interesting.

Wow - just watched on 360, the vision of the ‘not 15’ call - that ump really was insistent about it. Called it very early in the trajectory. ( at 9 metre mark of the 21.8 kick). Fair dinkum.
Scott -haircut looks better and he’s calm and looking more at ease. Good to see. Go Chris.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contrast the reaction of Papley who went stir crazy inciting some excitement and passion amongst his teammates.

Not for everyone, but the difference was interesting.

I thought Cameron celebrated his kick to the top tier of the stadium and brought stronger celebrations

"Theft" comes to mind with the result..but as they say you take your chances..etc etc...Thought the call on Jeremy Cameron was wrong big league..that ball was "live" as in not touched & it traveled the required distance..plenty of smartphone footage showing the distance & how the umpire was not calling play on like they do when the ball is touched..The umps were sub-par on Saturday night for both teams..Not surprised at the AFL apology..The best thing I saw from Geelong on the night was clearly Jack Henry..The way he moved around the ground..the way he stood at the centre of defense..ran loose..accurate passing..ruckwork..and his spoiling was something to behold.. No wonder your team has signed him up very quickly for 3 years..leadership material there... I wouldn't worry too much where the team is headed....if you are getting plenty of the ball you are doing something correct..anyhow I'm not a coach..BTW Chris Scott is brilliant love his work...Please enjoy some snaps we took..and all the best for 2021 season..sorry to hear the news of Frank Costa passing.. Your club is all the more greater thanks to Frank..

View attachment 1117785

View attachment 1117786

View attachment 1117787

View attachment 1117788

View attachment 1117789
For whatever reason i really prefer the black and white images by far.

I'm not sure you survive at half forward if you're a poor defensive player either, though.
Unless you're a kpf or a brilliant midfielder I don't think many teams would persist past a couple of years if you're poor defensively. Dimma would delist you immediately.

The expected score has Geelong winning comfortably. What those stats say is that we dominated the game but didn't take our opportunities in front of goal. That's it.

I even have a few question on the XS.. maybe if it was specific to the players having that shot id trust it more.

I found CS talking on 360 tonight mention the domination line but blending domination of the stats and mentioning the instances of 3 times being burst by kick ins and the two times we were little too aggressive when a players was left by himself.

The one thing I'll grant the umpires is that they could be acting under (insane) instruction. The way they've started shouting "not 15" absolutely instantly - before the ball has gone 1 metre, let alone 15 - tells me it's a directive. So I'll give them that if it's the case. No excuse for the administration though. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more prudent about how far the ball travels. But you need to actually see how far it goes first.

It's staggering how pedantic the umpires are over kicks going 15m to the extent they call "not 15" as soon as it comes off a player's boot, but rarely if ever pick up a player for running too far without bouncing. Jiath from Hawthorn is one player who regularly seems to run about twice his allotted distance but never gets pinged. I think I've only seen one occasion where it has been paid this season, and that was in the Bombers-Blues game yesterday.

It's staggering how pedantic the umpires are over kicks going 15m to the extent they call "not 15" as soon as it comes off a player's boot, but rarely if ever pick up a player for running too far without bouncing. Jiath from Hawthorn is one player who regularly seems to run about twice his allotted distance but never gets pinged. I think I've only seen one occasion where it has been paid, and that was in the Bombers-Blues game yesterday.
Mostly against us...rarely notice it in other games i watch.

On the Couch:

All the numbers tell you Geelong had a comfortable win but there’s something to be said for accuracy.”

“We deal with absolutes in footy and Geelong lost the game so there can tend to be a bit of a knee jerk. But their game stood up. So the way they actually went about playing and setting up a victory they did everything right bar the execution in front of goal. So +35 expected score, it’s never looked so good and losing the game.”

“Sixty six times we’ve seen a team have this much of a domination and 66 times they’ve won.”

490BF311-28D6-4C20-886A-F4F1DB3312EE.jpeg

Cataholic
you pick one
Turbocat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back