Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
When does sonsie and chesser train with the club?? I'm glad we get a really close look at a couple potential choices at our pick .

First pick - best smart footballer.
Doesn't need to be a superstar, but we need smart players (of which we severely lack). If the club thinks the smart player will drift, go best available.

Second and 3rd picks - legspeed. We need wingmen that can break the line

4th pick+ small forwards/speculative livewires

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”
There I was thinking you play players and teach them how to be better players and in fact it does lead to different results :think:

Does anyone think the club will target a ruckman with one of the late picks in the draft? By the end of next year McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby will all retire. Leaving us with just Reeves on the list.

Does anyone think the club will target a ruckman with one of the late picks in the draft? By the end of next year McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby will all retire. Leaving us with just Reeves on the list.
No, because you need to develop them for upwards of 3-4 years before you see them most of the time.

If we want a ruckman, we would be best to trade for one that comes readymade, which we attempted to do last year with Preuss.

Also, with list sizes as they are you don’t want to carry project players unless they can be kept on supp lists or as catB rookies or whatever.

We would be silly to draft an 18yr old ruckman in the national draft, however a more developed one in the mid season draft might make a little more sense.

No, because you need to develop them for upwards of 3-4 years before you see them most of the time.

If we want a ruckman, we would be best to trade for one that comes readymade, which we attempted to do last year with Preuss.

we will need one next year with Brooksby most likely moving on and McEvoy and Cegs only having 1 more year (if that)

but yeah doubt we draft a project one, perhaps best to look at state leagues or DFAs

As long as you’re teaching them different things you’re sane. If it’s the same thing though, insanity for you.
Umm nope training to play a certain way u do the same drills try and play the same way every time the more practice you have at it the better u are at executing it. We won a 3pete playing a brand of football. Richmond have won 3 in 4 playing theirs Geelong before them. It is not insanity

McEvoy and Cegs are both contracted for next year. Can't see them retiring

First pick - best smart footballer.
Doesn't need to be a superstar, but we need smart players (of which we severely lack). If the club thinks the smart player will drift, go best available.

Second and 3rd picks - legspeed. We need wingmen that can break the line

4th pick+ small forwards/speculative livewires

We are in a difficult position, I do think we lack smart footballers but we also lack talent, the good thing is though usually superstars have both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in a difficult position, I do think we lack smart footballers but we also lack talent, the good thing is though usually superstars have both.
True, I was more saying intelligence needs to be a priority.

I actually think we have quite a few players with enough talent already, we just need someone to manage them when their onfield

Also, with list sizes as they are you don’t want to carry project players unless they can be kept on supp lists or as catB rookies or whatever.

We would be silly to draft an 18yr old ruckman in the national draft, however a more developed one in the mid season draft might make a little more sense.
Yes, look for this years Hickey on another AFL list. He has been a brilliant recruit by the swans.

McEvoy has been a stalwart of our club, and has led by example pretty much every time he's run out on the ground.

But he looks increasingly like a man that father time has caught up to. I'd be surprised if he stays around, I just don't think he's the kind of guy who'd need to be told it was time (assuming he's not carry an injury this year).

Reeves is almost ready to go based on preseason form.

Surely one more year in the ressies performing at a decent level and he's done his time there, and learned what's required of him in the seniors.

Last edited:
Wonder if we'd take Van Rooyen with one of our second rounders if he slid that far?
Would rather we take three midfield types with our first three picks, as it a mid-heavy draft.

When does sonsie and chesser train with the club?? I'm glad we get a really close look at a couple potential choices at our pick .
After our game vs Saints, they've both requested to train with North instead :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back