Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely why we sit bottom 2. We need elite players. C brown tries hard, but he’s not an afl level player, he has far to many weaknesses

We definitely need to replenish our quota of B+ and better talent but the lack of that isn't Cal Brown's fault. He's a role player and will likely never be much more than that. If we were winning and he was the 21st or 22nd player being picked then his performances would be fine and he'd be allowed to learn his craft. That you have so many more experienced players struggling and so much inexperience in the team unjustly skews the expectations on him though. Of those less experienced in the side at the moment though, only Daicos, Noble and Quaynor are performing better consistently. McCreery getting close to that discussion. Cal Brown will continue to get games until those less experienced players force him from the team.

He is done. Stick a fork in him.
The quicker the club realises he ain't the person you want to build a Football team around the better. People compare him to Dusty, but let's be honest, he is an average footballer that does great things from time to time. A little like Jack Watts, plenty of ability but never comes to fruition.
Move him on while he is still worth something. No chance in hell would I offer him above $400k.
More of a Jake Stringer type. Neither will ever fulfil their potential.

We definitely need to replenish our quota of B+ and better talent but the lack of that isn't Cal Brown's fault. He's a role player and will likely never be much more than that. If we were winning and he was the 21st or 22nd player being picked then his performances would be fine and he'd be allowed to learn his craft. That you have so many more experienced players struggling and so much inexperience in the team unjustly skews the expectations on him though. Of those less experienced in the side at the moment though, only Daicos, Noble and Quaynor are performing better consistently. McCreery getting close to that discussion. Cal Brown will continue to get games until those less experienced players force him from the team.

Learn his craft? , spare me, been at the club 5 years, still can`t kick over 30 metres , Spud, would not have been drafted if he didn`t have that surname

He is done. Stick a fork in him.
The quicker the club realises he ain't the person you want to build a Football team around the better. People compare him to Dusty, but let's be honest, he is an average footballer that does great things from time to time. A little like Jack Watts, plenty of ability but never comes to fruition.
Move him on while he is still worth something. No chance in hell would I offer him above $400k.
I completely disagree. He is an incredible talent who could get fairly close to Dusty levels. The difference is that Dusty is 100% committed to being the best player he can be. JDG just doesn't have that commitment or determination. He needs to wake up to himself and realise how short his window of success is. He is very likely to be a completely unfulfilled talent with nothing to show for his talent.

Funny Callum Brown comes up in this thread. If y0u could put his commitment, preparation and effort into JDG you might see the next Dusty. If you put Callums ability together with JDGs commitment you'd see him selling The Big Issue in 5 years.

Champion Data have him ranked as our 9th best player. He is far less sh*t than people give him credit for. He makes very little mistakes (although doesn't take many risks) and is a high pressure player. Obviously we want more but we don't have more. I am fine for actually leaving players info the time being that try as opposed to guys like De Goey who look disinterested and don't care.
Mate its because Callum Brown doesn't kick over 15 metres. Even when we are on a breakaway he marks it stops goes back and chips it 10 metres over the top. I'm not arguing against he doesn't try because he does but he just has nothing going. Can't win a one on one, can't kick 35 metres, too slow and just spins around himself gets tackled everytime.

He's not going well - but at the same time I feel he's somewhat of a soft target.

I have been so staunch in my support of him and I agree he needs to lift, as there's no questioning his natural talent (which to me is clearly as a full-time forward) - but his copping it excessively IMO.

One of the only match-winners on our list. I would love to see how he goes under a new coach/system.

He's not going well - but at the same time I feel he's somewhat of a soft target.

I have been so staunch in my support of him and I agree he needs to lift, as there's no questioning his natural talent (which to me is clearly as a full-time forward) - but his copping it excessively IMO.

One of the only match-winners on our list. I would love to see how he goes under a new coach/system.

I'm with LP on this. Sure JDG needs to lift but so does the entire side. Not sure any players exist that would do well given our delivery to the forward line which is like the Bermuda Triangle. Footy talent disappears once a player enters. Look at what happened to poor Moore.

Having said that, the difference in endeavour between JDG and McCreery is telling isn't it?

Yeah, the issue with Champion Data is they value doing nothing too highly which I'l admit benefits Callum Brown. Like for an example, Mason Cox is veryvaluable for his 5 touches so Champion Data perceive his impact to be high whereas the real problem is he is only touching it 5 times a game. Callum Brown suffers from something similar as he often does a lot more right than wrong with his 10 touches a game, and champion data see that as valuable but when in reality, he needs to be getting 15 touches on a consistent basis to truly provide value.

Haha WTF? No the reason he’s rated highly comparative to the rest of our list is the number of games played over the rating period and his pressure numbers.

Going full circle on this myself.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they said on On The Couch tonight that the Pies leaders pulled JDG aside at the end of the Gold Coast game and told him to lift his effort.

His lack of second effort could be evidence of a lack of hunger.

I'm not a big fan of players getting singled out like that by the media. The game was his first proper hit-out after getting concussed 2 weeks ago. I hope he has no lingering effects.

I'd like to see him come out and torch the joint over the next few weeks. For himself, his teammates, and his coach; they are getting roasted ATM, our senior players need to stand up as a group.

I'm with LP on this. Sure JDG needs to lift but so does the entire side. Not sure any players exist that would do well given our delivery to the forward line which is like the Bermuda Triangle. Footy talent disappears once a player enters. Look at what happened to poor Moore.

Having said that, the difference in endeavour between JDG and McCreery is telling isn't it?

That is the ground zero jathanas.

One wants it at any cost, the other will go for it once - and not fight for it if he doesn't win the initial contest.

I completely disagree. He is an incredible talent who could get fairly close to Dusty levels. The difference is that Dusty is 100% committed to being the best player he can be. JDG just doesn't have that commitment or determination. He needs to wake up to himself and realise how short his window of success is. He is very likely to be a completely unfulfilled talent with nothing to show for his talent.

Funny Callum Brown comes up in this thread. If y0u could put his commitment, preparation and effort into JDG you might see the next Dusty. If you put Callums ability together with JDGs commitment you'd see him selling The Big Issue in 5 years.
So you're agreeing with me then haha. He isn't committed and isn't the player to build a team around?

That is the ground zero jathanas.

One wants it at any cost, the other will go for it once - and not fight for it if he doesn't win the initial contest.

Not defending his 2nd efforts last week as they were non-existent, Dusty's are not much better. :)

Where we need JDG to shine is consistency and application. His salary is offered to match-winners and he hasn't done enough of that for us.

Crunch month for him coming up.

Not defending his 2nd efforts last week as they were non-existent, Dusty's are not much better. :)

Where we need JDG to shine is consistency and application. His salary is offered to match-winners and he hasn't done enough of that for us.

Crunch month for him coming up.
I'm sure he can do it jathanas but there seems to be a malaise right through the team and perhaps the coaching staff as well. Could have started during the enforced hubs?
We have all been through the wringer with most of us knowing someone who has been impacted by covid so I'm prepared to cut some slack but with his abilities and skills Jordan should be leading the recovery.
Time for him to step up to the plate . . . NOW.

His lack of second effort could be evidence of a lack of hunger.

I'm not a big fan of players getting singled out like that by the media. The game was his first proper hit-out after getting concussed 2 weeks ago. I hope he has no lingering effects.

I'd like to see him come out and torch the joint over the next few weeks. For himself, his teammates, and his coach; they are getting roasted ATM, our senior players need to stand up as a group.
I was very concerned with him coming into the team last week after White described him in the injury report as having suffered "severe concussion" and that he still had to pass the concussion tests to play. Some medical experts are calling for 28 day enforced layoffs for severe concussions (up from the current 12 days for all concussions).

He's always been a player that needs games under the belt to fire too, yet he's always having enforced layoffs with injury.

His efforts were poor on Saturday, but I think he can turn it around.

every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.

I was very concerned with him coming into the team last week after White described him in the injury report as having suffered "severe concussion" and that he still had to pass the concussion tests to play. Some medical experts are calling for 28 day enforced layoffs for severe concussions (up from the current 12 days for all concussions).

He's always been a player that needs games under the belt to fire too, yet he's always having enforced layoffs with injury.

I hope you are right Kirby. But it seems to me we are always looking for ways to explain away JDG’s poor form or off field ‘incidents’. I do it too! But I’ve just about had enough of this guy. I think his mind is elsewhere.

Jordy has had a bad run the last few years, we don't have a matchwinner like him. He could only dream of the continuity that Dusty has had.

Playing forward in our team he won't be gifted too many opportunities to shine. Needs some spells on the ball when he is 100%.

every time people compare De Goey to Martin a fairy dies, they’re not even in the same hemisphere, stop it. Imagine saints fans saying if Zak Jones was more consistent he could be close to Pendlebury or Swan.

You're right and wrong.

JDG is miles off in terms of getting that consistency, he doesn't have the runs on the board and might never get them.

The flipside is that just like Martin, he can win a game off his own boot. Very strong trunk hard to tackle. Arguably, a better lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back