Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should Port have conditions on entering the national league? The AFL came from the VFL and simply because they weren’t from Victoria they had to sacrifice. Port Adelaide have a rich history and it deserves to be on the national stage just as much as Collingwood’s.
Sacrifice?
Are you suggesting the AFL should have just had 2 b&w teams knicknamed the Magpies?

Nobody has asked for Port to retain or reclaim the Magpies nickname.
The context of the comment was when they first joined. There was always going to he a common sense requirement to differentiate them from Collingwood. Not really a sacrifice.

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if serious or just very very stupid?

I do agree I’m stupid for getting into a discussion with a clear troll. Unless you have someway to back up your very very stupid claim that Gold Coast and Brisbane “share the same colours” when they are clearly different when you look at the RGB codes (without worrying about the obvious visual difference anyone with a functioning brain can see)? Although I’m guessing RGB codes are a bit too difficult for your very very simple brain to comprehend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I do agree I’m stupid for getting into a discussion with a clear troll. Unless you have someway to back up your very very stupid claim that Gold Coast and Brisbane “share the same colours” when they are clearly different when you look at the RGB codes (without worrying about the obvious visual difference anyone with a functioning brain can see)? Although I’m guessing RGB codes are a bit too difficult for your very very simple brain to comprehend

1) Those codes are for their logos, not their jumpers, official colours etc.
2) Nobody gives a s**t about specific shades down to the 256 RGBs
3) Are the Bulldogs Colours Indigo, Cyan Cobalt Blue, White and Crimson or Blue, White and Red

Now instead of making yourself look like a complete fool you could have started with "but Brisbane are Maroon, Gold and Blue not Red, Gold and Blue like Gold Coast." But no you had to introduce irrelevant bullshit to try and make yourself look smart and knowledgeable.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Why should Port have conditions on entering the national league? The AFL came from the VFL and simply because they weren’t from Victoria they had to sacrifice. Port Adelaide have a rich history and it deserves to be on the national stage just as much as Collingwood’s.
Coz they agreed. Don’t like it don’t sign. They signed.
it’s not that I think it’s right or fair, but who ever said life is? Don’t like it don’t sign. But what you can’t do is sign then go ummm I didn’t mean it.
As I said I’m not unsympathetic to Port. If Collingwood wanted to join the SANFL coz it had expanded to be the AFL I’d say exactly the same thing to them. You signed it- you own it

edit coz spellcheck hates me and likes to change things for giggles

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
that is every across supporter argument.

we had to change our name, entities as part of joining, your argument is illogical and gaslighting so not worth a response

Agree

But also that AFL was just a name change from VFL that was formed 1897.

And Sydney Swans were formed from South Melbourne.

Don’t know why people argue about this all the time. These are the facts and opinions won’t change this...

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
skysports-mohamed-salah-liverpool_5354356.jpg

Arsenal-Home-Page-500x197.png

Man.Utd_.TEAMtalk.jpg

3 of the richest clubs on the planet, all play in the same league, all have a solid red home strip with only a bit of difference on sleeves/collars and other bits. There are also numerous other clubs that have a red strip in English football. All 3 of their home strips are iconic and what they are known for despite them having away and clash strips in different colours.

None of them throw up a fuss that they are the only ones who get to wear red. Even when they have to play other clubs who aren't as big as them in an away game, they have no issues wearing a clash strip.

Collingwood are just being selfish campaigners and insecure about the whole black and white stripes thing. The football traditionalists who don't believe in alternate colours for teams are holding the game back.

It's embarrassing just how backwards thinking the league is at times.

You don't lose your identity by having an alternative colour / strip or by allowing another team to wear similar.

Biggest difference is that the AFL is a closed League.

How many teams are there in Premier League? And then there is relegation/promotion.

Imagine if all clubs in Australia was one League with promotion/relegation.

It would be nigh impossible for not to have teams with the same jumper.

Port and Collingwood don’t have the same jumper and should be allowed in our closed 18-team comp.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Biggest difference is that the AFL is a closed League.

How many teams are there in Premier League? And then there is relegation/promotion.

Imagine if all clubs in Australia was one League with promotion/relegation.

It would be nigh impossible for not to have teams with the same jumper.

Port and Collingwood don’t have the same jumper and should be allowed in our closed 18-team comp.

Those 3 clubs have played together in the same 20 team league continuously for almost 50 years.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Those 3 clubs have played together in the same 20 team league continuously for almost 50 years.

But not the exact same 20 teams.

You can not compare a closed League with a open League.

Also soccer tends to have kits with only one or two colours. Pretty hard not to have similar kits when there are so many teams around. It’s mostly sponsors name that distinguishes the kits.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

If the AFL had been created from all the teams in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL, VFA, NSWFL, QFL, TFL, NTFL and ACTFL with promotion/relegation system, then you would have all their original jumpers and logos. There would probably be very different clash jumpers. South Fremantle vs Sydney, Richmond Tigers vs Glenelg Tigers etc etc...

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But not the exact same 20 teams.

You can not compare a closed League with a open League.

Also soccer tends to have kits with only one or two colours. Pretty hard not to have similar kits when there are so many teams around. It’s mostly sponsors name that distinguishes the kits.

These 3 clubs have coexisted for half a century wearing more or less the same thing. The fact that their league has a relegation system is completely inconsequential to this dynamic. They have still been playing against each other the entire time.

I could also point out that there are plenty of closed leagues around the world where this also happens but I’m sure there will be some undefinable problem with every single one of those too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
These 3 clubs have coexisted for half a century wearing more or less the same thing. The fact that their league has a relegation system is completely inconsequential to this dynamic. They have still been playing against each other the entire time.

I could also point out that there are plenty of closed leagues around the world where this also happens but I’m sure there will be some undefinable problem with every single one of those too.

Because the English Football League history has never had an issue with this from the beginning. How would you go today saying to Liverpool you must now add a bit of teal?

The early days of Footy probably did not give a toss either, but the more semi-professional Leagues probably gradually did.

Hawthorn for an example had to change from blue and gold so not to clash with Williamstown when they entered the VFA in 1914.

I just don’t think it will help your argument by comparing an overseas soccer league.

The argument should be that same colours but different design.

One jumper iconic to Port Adelaide, the other iconic to Collingwood.

And anyone interested in Footy would know this. You can even be colour blind. ;)

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Because the English Football League history has never had an issue with this from the beginning. How would you go today saying to Liverpool you must now add a bit of teal?

The early days of Footy probably did not give a toss either, but the more semi-professional Leagues probably gradually did.

Hawthorn for an example had to change from blue and gold so not to clash with Williamstown when they entered the VFA in 1914.

I just don’t think it will help your argument by comparing an overseas soccer league.

The argument should be that same colours but different design.

One jumper iconic to Port Adelaide, the other iconic to Collingwood.

And anyone interested in Footy would know this. You can even be colour blind. ;)

I’m also against “new” clubs using same colour combination as existing clubs. Adelaide and Gold Coast didn’t have to go blue, yellow and red (despite different shades of blue).

But when a team with such rich history as Port Adelaide on a rare occasion gets into the locked AFL then their jumper and even logo should be kept.

If Port Melbourne, Sturt, South Fremantle or any other club with a long history gets in, then I would hope that their jumper and logo is retained.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
It's nothing like that
How is it not?

Southport is an established club who was playing on the Gold Coast in the top local league as one of the stronger clubs.....same as Glenelg were in Adelaide.

The AFL comes along with its expansion mission and determines it wants an AFL club on the Gold Coast, as it did in Adelaide.

Southport and Glenelg were both overlooked for the licences, so now continue to compete in the local league that isn't top dog in the area anymore.

Why the feck would Southport / Glenelg supporters want the Suns / Power to play a game of AFL in a Sharks / G.Tigers jumper?

And what the feck do Southport or Glenelg have to do with any of the AFL franchises?

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I can see both sides of the argument, and I’m certainly not unsympathetic to Port, but they entered the competition knowing full well that it was a deal breaking condition. So they agreed.
Did Collingwood (ie Eddie) agree to the heritage round deal in bad faith- very probably. He is a slimy piece of dirt, but what can you do unless they revisit the round again? It was, after all, a concession that didn’t need to be offered.
It’s messy but if both sides stop beating their chests about it maybe a rational solution can be found, because I can’t see it going away
We dont actually know whether eddie agreed to the heritage round in bad faith though..

for all we know the AFL approached Collingwood and told them they were gonna hold a heritage round and that port will probably want to wear the proson bars.. and eddie said no, not happening, if they are allowed to wear them once a year then it will open the door for them to wear them on other occassions and it will snowball.

and then the AFL simply said “nah, the heritage rounds arent gonna be a long term thing so its not too much of a concern”..

and that might have made eddie agree.. if not, he and collingwood wouldve said no altogether.

we’re all assuming that it was eddie that had a hand in putting an end to the heritage rounds because we all think he’s a bit of a flog at times.. and assumptions are the mother of all f’ups..

but at the end of the day the heritage rounds agreement is null and void so its pointless discussing it.. its the original agreement that is the overarching agreement and the one that needs to be adhered to by Port power.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
We dont actually know whether eddie agreed to the heritage round in bad faith though..

for all we know the AFL approached Collingwood and told them they were gonna hold a heritage round and that port will probably want to wear the proson bars.. and eddie said no, not happening, if they are allowed to wear them once a year then it will open the door for them to wear them on other occassions and it will snowball.

and then the AFL simply said “nah, the heritage rounds arent gonna be a long term thing so its not too much of a concern”..

and that might have made eddie agree.. if not, he and collingwood wouldve said no altogether.

we’re all assuming that it was eddie that had a hand in putting an end to the heritage rounds because we all think he’s a bit of a flog at times.. and assumptions are the mother of all f’ups..

but at the end of the day the heritage rounds agreement is null and void so its pointless discussing it.. its the original agreement that is the overarching agreement and the one that needs to be adhered to by Port power.
When Kane Cornes was sooking on SEN after embarrassing himself on national TV debating Maguire, Michaelangelo Rucci pointed out very clearly that many clubs knew Heritage Round was ending as it was losing its relevance. He clearly stated it was an open discussion amongst the AFL and clubs and there was no hidden agenda against Port, he pointed out that Port’s issue with this now lies fully with the people at the club that signed off on this at the time.
Rucci can be a smug divisive campaigner at the best of times but it seems he’s being straight up with facts on this even if it hurts the narrative of his own club.

This whole Heritage Round conspiracy theory is just desperation to formulate an argument.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
When Kane Cornes was sooking on SEN after embarrassing himself on national TV debating Maguire, Michaelangelo Rucci pointed out very clearly that many clubs knew Heritage Round was ending as it was losing its relevance. He clearly stated it was an open discussion amongst the AFL and clubs and there was no hidden agenda against Port, he pointed out that Port’s issue with this now lies fully with the people at the club that signed off on this at the time.
Rucci can be a smug divisive campaigner at the best of times but it seems he’s being straight up with facts on this even if it hurts the narrative of his own club.

This whole Heritage Round conspiracy theory is just desperation to formulate an argument.
Exactly... it is nothing more than a “lets not discuss the actual overarching agreement signed from day one, because that completely destroys our arguement, but instead lets focus on that heritage round agreement because that allowed us to wear the PB’s in the heritage round games...”

the heritage rounds agreement is irrelevant.. what happens in other leagues around the world is irrelevant.. people’s opinion on whether the PB’s jumper does or doesnt look like the Pies jumper is irrelevant because.. opinions are like arseholes. All this other background nonsense and sooking is irrelevant.

all that matters is that port and collingwood (with the AFL) came to an agreement when Port Power entered the comp in 97. That agreement is what matters and is really all that needs to be disussed on this issue.

All party’s simply need to stick to the agreement. If not, it will wind up in court and the court will tell them all to “stick to the agreement” at a massive cost in court and lawyer fees. A fruitless, costly exercise and Port Power and Kochie know it.. thats why, just the other day, they said they wouldnt be taking it to court.

I'm no fan of Ed's and actually like Kane Cornes.

Footy Classified summed this up perfectly last night, Port Adelaide needs to move on.

Clip below.

I'm no fan of Ed's and actually like Kane Cornes.

Footy Classified summed this up perfectly last night, Port Adelaide needs to move on.

Clip below.

Eddie is right. Simple as that.

When Port entered the comp the agreement was very clear. No black and white. No magpies. Whether you think it's unfair or not doesn't really matter. That's the deal. Accept it and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back