Prediction The entirely arbitrary and pointless Luke Jackson posterity circlejerk

What will Luke Jackson become

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving all the offended Norf supporters salty over Powell not getting the nom this week. Jackson clearly better than Powell on the weekend. Dogga surely favourite now. I jumped on him when he was $17 a couple of weeks ago. Thought he was tracking beautifully. He's an absolute gun.

Please don't PG.
Yeah it really isn’t that tempting. I’m okay with being alive and not required to do anything in respect of the North Melbourne Football Club.

No wonder their supporter base is a bit messed up. I mean, we are too -totally. But the older people there are contrasting their experience now with the heady days of rocking up to watch Carey.

So many people concentrating on Jackson’s perceived weakness (his kicking) and ignoring all of his strengths and upside. How is Gawn’s kicking? Yet he is clearly the best or second best ruckman in the league, dominates games and gives our team a huge advantage in games. Can Naitanui kick well? No! But he can do so much more.

We are not reaching for Jackson. He would be taken in the next pick or two if it’s not us. And a player like him is so hard to find. How many half back flankers are in the draft compared to a player like Jackson?

Very excited to be getting this sort of talent onto our list and won’t be surprised at all to see us swap picks 10 and 28 for two teen picks and get Weightman/Pickett etc. If Bennell works out too (a big if) it could be a fantastic trade and draft period and I’m proud of the club for being so aggressive and getting sh*t done. Bring on 2020 already!
I have no problem with that. I think Jackson looks like a rare talent who’s clearance work in the middle and around the ground combined with his athletic abilities are going to be a huge asset to our team. Most big men aren’t the best kicks but people are writing him off for that.

Anyway when we draft Jackson none of the other mids will need to know their roles because he'll just leap above his opponent, tap it down to himself, grab the pill and blind turn a couple then sprint away from them all and drive the ball into our forward line. Then repeat.

Can we please redirect this thread back to arrogantly patting ourselves on the back for our amazing foresight? 😬

The melts when we drafted him were so over the top, hopefully some supporters and posters are reflecting on their abuse and overreactions at the time, and the club is being inundated with apologies and praise. The kid is going to be a star.

Can we please redirect this thread back to arrogantly patting ourselves on the back for our amazing foresight? 😬

The melts when we drafted him were so over the top, hopefully some supporters and posters are reflecting on their abuse and overreactions at the time, and the club is being inundated with apologies and praise. The kid is going to be a star.

I thought it was stupid to take another ruck at 3 then I watched his first practice match and ate humble pie. He’s a freak.

I love all of our draft picks all the time because I have absolutely no discernment in such things. So I’m absolutely patting myself on the back for how right I was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a season under his belt, I think it is time for the actual circlejerk to begin.

We wrote about Luke Jackson in our newsletter this week - let us know what you think.

Luke Jackson (#6) is the 2021 Rising Star favourite as a ruck. Let that sink in for a second. No other Rising Star winner has played the ruck position (I’m not counting Koschitzke). It’s incredibly uncommon given the very nature of the position. It takes a long time for rucks to develop and physically mature to compete against their AFL contemporaries. We discussed English a few weeks ago and the strides he’s made but that occurred over multiple years. In just his second season, Jackson is exhibiting some terrifying signs for opposition teams. It isn’t just that he’s starting to show dominant patches but it’s how he’s doing it.

Jackson’s biggest strength is undoubtedly his ability at ground level. Jackson plays like an extra midfielder around the ground and at stoppages. It’s much of the same as Grundy – they aren’t a non-factor once the ball hits the ground. In fact, they are dangerous ground level players. But even Grundy didn’t show these kinds of signs this early on. Jackson averages 4.1 ground ball gets a game and whilst he only averages 13.4 disposals, that number will continue to rise to Grundy’s level around the 20’s. He’s shown flashes already with three games this year over 20+ disposals. Jackson has clean, quick hands and always follows up after a ruck contest. When he extracts the ball, he raises his arms above his head out of the reach of would be tacklers and is great at dishing the ball over his head to teammates.

Sometimes Jackson does things at ground level with such control and creativity. It doesn’t make sense for a midfielder let alone a ruckman to be doing it. The execution of this hit up kick will come with more experience.

Watching Jackson, it’s evident that he used to play basketball. He has great control on the move to tap the ball up to himself when he can’t grab it.

Where most of the improvement will arise for Jackson is in his ruck craft and tap work . He isn’t a tall enough ruck (199cm) to be a dominant tap ruckman but given his soft touch he should be able to finesse the ball to his midfielders as he continues to put on size. Jackson has put on 10kg over the summer and it shows during games. Whilst he is unable to push ruckman off the line and he does lose hitouts to taller ruckman, he’s agile. He’s started to realise that he can tap the ball to himself and exit the front of stoppages. This is so dangerous when a ruckman has this advantage to exit through the front. The percentages on this ending in a goal would be very high.

Around the ground, Jackson is becoming a genuine threat in the air. He is averaging 3.2 marks a game including 1 contested mark. Those numbers are identical to Grundy already. This is the area where Jackson has big upside given he wasn’t drafted as a natural forward. Yet, every once in a while he’ll take a mark like this – which makes you question where his ceiling ends.

This is quite frightening for a ruckman who already possesses such elite qualities at ground level. He’s beginning to hit the scoreboard too. Jackson’s averaging 0.8 goals a game – 1[SUB]st[/SUB] in the AFL amongst ruckman. He does spend more time as a forward given Max Gawn plays for Melbourne. But this argument could be spun the other way. Tall forwards can take years to develop before they start to consistently hit the scoreboard. At 19, Jackson’s already doing this while playing a significant portion of his game in the ruck.

Jackson is a real unicorn in the AFL. For those that are a bit confused by the term ‘unicorn’, it originated in the NBA describing Kristaps Porzinigis. A unicorn is a player who is considered both versatile and dynamic. In Porzingis’s instance, a tall player at 7’3 but has (or used to have) the skills of a guard. We hadn’t really seen someone of his height shoot the 3 ball like that. Jackson is the same as a ruck.

He is versatile enough to play literally every position of the ground. Don’t be surprised when Melbourne play him as an actual midfielder at some point in his career. It’s definitely going to happen. Jackson has the upside to be the best ruckman in the AFL because of how balanced he is in multiple facets of the game whilst simultaneously possessing significant upside. At 19, his impact at AFL level as a ruck is unprecedented. Yet, his accomplishments may border on unprecedented as well. Jackson has a chance to be one of the most accomplished 2nd year players in league history if he wins the Rising Star and Melbourne win the premiership. He and Joel Selwood would be the only two players to both win a rising star and a premiership medal in the same year.

It was gusty for Melbourne to take a ruckman with pick 3 when they had one of the best in the league. Melbourne saw it differently, they weren’t taking just a ruckman, they were taking a player who was skilled enough to play any position on the ground. They had the opportunity to mold Jackson into who they wanted him to be. Jackson is a true unicorn of the AFL – a player that we haven’t quite seen before. I can’t wait to see what he eventually becomes.

With a season under his belt, I think it is time for the actual circlejerk to begin.

We wrote about Luke Jackson in our newsletter this week - let us know what you think.

Luke Jackson (#6) is the 2021 Rising Star favourite as a ruck. Let that sink in for a second. No other Rising Star winner has played the ruck position (I’m not counting Koschitzke). It’s incredibly uncommon given the very nature of the position. It takes a long time for rucks to develop and physically mature to compete against their AFL contemporaries. We discussed English a few weeks ago and the strides he’s made but that occurred over multiple years. In just his second season, Jackson is exhibiting some terrifying signs for opposition teams. It isn’t just that he’s starting to show dominant patches but it’s how he’s doing it.

Jackson’s biggest strength is undoubtedly his ability at ground level. Jackson plays like an extra midfielder around the ground and at stoppages. It’s much of the same as Grundy – they aren’t a non-factor once the ball hits the ground. In fact, they are dangerous ground level players. But even Grundy didn’t show these kinds of signs this early on. Jackson averages 4.1 ground ball gets a game and whilst he only averages 13.4 disposals, that number will continue to rise to Grundy’s level around the 20’s. He’s shown flashes already with three games this year over 20+ disposals. Jackson has clean, quick hands and always follows up after a ruck contest. When he extracts the ball, he raises his arms above his head out of the reach of would be tacklers and is great at dishing the ball over his head to teammates.

Sometimes Jackson does things at ground level with such control and creativity. It doesn’t make sense for a midfielder let alone a ruckman to be doing it. The execution of this hit up kick will come with more experience.

Watching Jackson, it’s evident that he used to play basketball. He has great control on the move to tap the ball up to himself when he can’t grab it.

Where most of the improvement will arise for Jackson is in his ruck craft and tap work . He isn’t a tall enough ruck (199cm) to be a dominant tap ruckman but given his soft touch he should be able to finesse the ball to his midfielders as he continues to put on size. Jackson has put on 10kg over the summer and it shows during games. Whilst he is unable to push ruckman off the line and he does lose hitouts to taller ruckman, he’s agile. He’s started to realise that he can tap the ball to himself and exit the front of stoppages. This is so dangerous when a ruckman has this advantage to exit through the front. The percentages on this ending in a goal would be very high.

Around the ground, Jackson is becoming a genuine threat in the air. He is averaging 3.2 marks a game including 1 contested mark. Those numbers are identical to Grundy already. This is the area where Jackson has big upside given he wasn’t drafted as a natural forward. Yet, every once in a while he’ll take a mark like this – which makes you question where his ceiling ends.

This is quite frightening for a ruckman who already possesses such elite qualities at ground level. He’s beginning to hit the scoreboard too. Jackson’s averaging 0.8 goals a game – 1[SUB]st[/SUB] in the AFL amongst ruckman. He does spend more time as a forward given Max Gawn plays for Melbourne. But this argument could be spun the other way. Tall forwards can take years to develop before they start to consistently hit the scoreboard. At 19, Jackson’s already doing this while playing a significant portion of his game in the ruck.

Jackson is a real unicorn in the AFL. For those that are a bit confused by the term ‘unicorn’, it originated in the NBA describing Kristaps Porzinigis. A unicorn is a player who is considered both versatile and dynamic. In Porzingis’s instance, a tall player at 7’3 but has (or used to have) the skills of a guard. We hadn’t really seen someone of his height shoot the 3 ball like that. Jackson is the same as a ruck.

He is versatile enough to play literally every position of the ground. Don’t be surprised when Melbourne play him as an actual midfielder at some point in his career. It’s definitely going to happen. Jackson has the upside to be the best ruckman in the AFL because of how balanced he is in multiple facets of the game whilst simultaneously possessing significant upside. At 19, his impact at AFL level as a ruck is unprecedented. Yet, his accomplishments may border on unprecedented as well. Jackson has a chance to be one of the most accomplished 2nd year players in league history if he wins the Rising Star and Melbourne win the premiership. He and Joel Selwood would be the only two players to both win a rising star and a premiership medal in the same year.

It was gusty for Melbourne to take a ruckman with pick 3 when they had one of the best in the league. Melbourne saw it differently, they weren’t taking just a ruckman, they were taking a player who was skilled enough to play any position on the ground. They had the opportunity to mold Jackson into who they wanted him to be. Jackson is a true unicorn of the AFL – a player that we haven’t quite seen before. I can’t wait to see what he eventually becomes.

Your analysis is brilliant, keep it up.
I'm jerking so hard for Jacko

Fantastic analysis

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be the best player in the AFL by 25yo. Expect long term $1m/season offers coming in from other clubs if they haven’t already.

Genuinely one of the most unique players I've ever seen. I mean, who can you compare him to? Grundy or Naitanui? He's more versatile and athletic than them. Potential is a dirty word sometimes, but his ceiling is genuinely stratospheric. Really glad we took a punt on him and Pickett in 2019 rather than going for safe, vanilla, private-school prefect types like we would have in the Bailey / Neeld eras.

This has been the perfect club for Jackson to come into, maybe one could argue on behalf of West Coast but they don't have the premiership window this club does.

I think people are too impatient with players as well, Melbourne have a young squad that are doing things way above what should be expected and then next level on that is Jackson. At 19 and doing what he is doing is just amazing.

This has been the perfect club for Jackson to come into, maybe one could argue on behalf of West Coast but they don't have the premiership window this club does.

I think people are too impatient with players as well, Melbourne have a young squad that are doing things way above what should be expected and then next level on that is Jackson. At 19 and doing what he is doing is just amazing.
Would be wasted in a team that doesn’t have the midfield to burst out the front of stoppages from all angles like we do. Only injury can stop this kid.

Importantly he can contribute while forward as well as giving us a totally different look in the ruck.

Previously we'd have TMac or Weid relief rucking (no ruck craft) or the Preuss experiment (good in ruck contests but a total liability while forward). The balance is so much better with Jackson. Hard to think of another second year ruckman who has had his impact, especially on the big stage. Sky is the limit for this bloke.

Back