News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This could be a naive question but: do you think Brad & Ben are experiencing extra heat or pressure about their performances because they are indigenous?

I imagine there is always going to be some level of latent racism for these guys, but are they being treated in a different manner to other poorly performing players at the moment?

Is Long being racially vilified? Man I would hope not.
No, not at all, and that wasn't what I was refering to. Winmar's opponents knew he had the tendency to be a grumpy cat onfield. That game back in 98, Francina directly targetted him, got him reported and probably dragged and it probably was the most obvious of a few similar occasions. Didn't vilify him AFAIK, just pissed him off.

Ben Long is already notorious for lack of discipline throughout the league and if you watch him in the first 6 games this season, you'll see opponents going out of their way to taunt him or rev him up. Why? Because he is a decent link man when he's in form; even this year although his disposal has been poor, it's usually him coming onto the wing with the ball in his hand. Once he cleans up his disposal and discipline, he can really help us.

As for Brad, he's just down on form, no one is targetting him. I mentioned him because Nicky had form slumps too, and was dissed in the media, even the supporters gave him stick. I was in the stands to hear some old Saints fan call him the kind of stuff that would nowadays get you a lifetime stadium ban. Brad Hill has the world against him right now and the same familiar stuff; lazy, selfish, weak, etc. Nothing directly to do with being indigenous but maybe he could relate a little more, that's all I meant.

EDIT: This (below) is what I mean: I only hope Nicky did the same for Ben.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be against us giving Freeman another chance in the mid season draft but if he wasn't considered to be good enough to stay on our list a few years ago it's hard to see how he would be good enough to get back on our list now unless he has improved significantly since then.

I can't think of any AFL clubs that have delisted a player and then got them back on their list a few years later, it would likely be unprecedented.

So if the general consensus is that Dunstan will be delisted at the end of the year and shouldn't be getting games, what are so different about Freeman's VFL possessions that would warrant giving him a list spot? Or would warrant him coming into the senior team instead of Byrnes and Bytel, or even Dunstan?

Looks like Paddy will be out for an extended period. (Scroll down for video of the incident)

a bit worried that this could already be a sign of uncontrolled aggression that is evident post brain trauma. Maybe a long bow but plenty of evidence in the connection between the two. The example used most often is Phineas Gage

Didn't Dunstan rack up about 40 disposals in the VFL not so long ago? Racking up big numbers in the VFL doesn't mean they will do similar in the AFL.

He probably did but his problem has always been what those disposals looked like. He really struggles to hit targets. I've only watched Freezer once this year but he looked way too good for VFL and a smart player with good vision and disposal. Like he drops the ball 15 meters out in front of a forward in space so they are forced to run on to it. I reckon an AFL club will have a crack at him in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the general consensus is that Dunstan will be delisted at the end of the year and shouldn't be getting games, what are so different about Freeman's VFL possessions that would warrant giving him a list spot? Or would warrant him coming into the senior team instead of Byrnes and Bytel, or even Dunstan?

Better disposal.

We may have to start chartering a private jet

You do know what club he's at? More like a private Kia Carnival with a row of seats taken out for leg room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back