Player Watch #31: Bayley ‘Slick’ Fritsch

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he really struggled to get involved yesterday, but I think it really shows how much of his goal kicking struggles is mental given he awash seems to kick straighter in the wet? Has really improved his work at ground level this year, looking very, dare I say it, slick by hand

If we challenge can it bump to 2 weeks?
I don’t think so, I just think if we appeal and lose the team pay a fine or a fee? Who knows with the AFL they will find a way of changing the rules last minute so he is given extra weeks.

We've 100% gotta challenge.

There's quite a lot of precedent for getting off. He's got the ball, making the play and protecting himself whilst someone runs at him. That same maneouvre is done dozens of times a match, but unluckily struck the kid high as he came in off balance from a Trac push. He ran out the game and was fine.

Dangerfield polished Vlaustuin off with the same thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've 100% gotta challenge.

There's quite a lot of precedent for getting off. He's got the ball, making the play and protecting himself whilst someone runs at him. That same maneouvre is done dozens of times a match, but unluckily struck the kid high as he came in off balance from a Trac push. He ran out the game and was fine.

Dangerfield polished Vlaustuin off with the same thing
I didn't think danger should get a week either for that but Danger didn't even have the ball. This game is so ****ed, pure accidents are suspendable now.

It's all just based off optics, which is a stupid way to adjudicate things.

It didn't "look good" - even though the kid ran out the rest of the game.

Fritsch did the exact same action in the 3rd quarter when Koz kicked that goal starting from the wing. There's nothing wrong with it. Players are never going to stop fending off, so i'm not sure what message you're supposed to be sending to the ball player?

Normally I agree with you on these but the vision is not pretty for Fritsch.
Only if you say that every contact to the head is a suspension.
It was accidental, it was contributed too by the player who was hit as well as Petracca.
There's also precedent for a non suspension.

The way I see it there are two ways we can argue this.

1. Fritsch was performing a standard fend off which he also applied at other points of the game correctly, maintaining his duty of care. In this instance Powell was pushed by Petracca which lowered his body unexpectedly, leading to Fritsch collecting Powell high accidentally.
2. The impact to Powell was low. Powell left the ground temporarily but returned soon after, he did not undergo a concussion test.

The way I see it there are two ways we can argue this.

1. Fritsch was performing a standard fend off which he also applied at other points of the game correctly, maintaining his duty of care. In this instance Powell was pushed by Petracca which lowered his body unexpectedly, leading to Fritsch collecting Powell high accidentally.
2. The impact to Powell was low. Powell left the ground temporarily but returned soon after, he did not undergo a concussion test.

I don’t really disagree it’s more just the way the MRP is going I’m not surprised he was cited. We absolutely should challenge as all we have to lose is 5k to keep our most dangerous forward in the team this week.

Make a stand, i would say take the week but if the club is serious about challenging make a stand to say "were not the biggest club in the land, but why should our Key Forward get a week when Danger doesn't?"
sick of bigger names getting off because ?

So this is interesting. In the AFL's official Tribunal handbook for 2021 they have a series of examples of every offence and grading:

The example they give for a high contact, careless strike with medium impact is this incident between Josh Caddy and David Mackay from 2018

The difference here is that Mackay was assessed for concussion and failed that test. Powell was not assessed for concussion at all. Unless he has suffered delayed concussion I don't see how Fritsch's incident constitutes medium impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back