Preview Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons, Saturday May 8 @ MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowbottom though? Was instrumental in the last quarter he’s no chance of being rested

He is a gun and I thought he was one of our best on Saturday however his movement is clearly hindered and he was a turnstile for Geelong midfielders because of it. Try that against an even better midfield with Max Gawn shoving it down their throats and we will be in serious trouble. We already struggle defensively in there and when you have a kid in there who can barely turn without losing his footing then it becomes more of a liability.

I don't see the harm in letting him get to 100% and bringing in Hewett to play in the mids and make us more sound in the guts against a very dangerous midfield group.

He is a gun and I thought he was one of our best on Saturday however his movement is clearly hindered and he was a turnstile for Geelong midfielders because of it. Try that against an even better midfield with Max Gawn shoving it down their throats and we will be in serious trouble. We already struggle defensively in there and when you have a kid in there who can barely turn without losing his footing then it becomes more of a liability.

I don't see the harm in letting him get to 100% and bringing in Hewett to play in the mids and make us more sound in the guts against a very dangerous midfield group.

Whispers are Hewett physically can’t play in the middle. I’m not sure there but I’ll defer to people in the know there.

Rowbottom out and we aren’t winning.
We need him playing and especially on the big MCG

Whispers are Hewett physically can’t play in the middle. I’m not sure there but I’ll defer to people in the know there.

Rowbottom out and we aren’t winning.
We need him playing and especially on the big MCG

Whispers? You're referring to the Bigfooty Breeze that blows through here every so often?

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Buddy should only play one out in the goal sq so either may or lever has to stand with him. If melbourne cant get their intercept game going with those two, their defence might fall flat. Plus youll make whoever is on Bud s**t their pants if the ball ever goes deep

McLean can take the other player and also ruck at the same time when Hickey is resting. We cant have Sinclair unable to move contest to contest on the G

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I do see your point. But if Fox is fully fit, and we keep winning games, and the couple of players he would probably replace play their "role", then is that to say he won't get a game? If Rampe went out injured and our defence held strong and we conceded less then 50 points in each game he missed, would you be saying the same thing?

Fox is a stalwart and has proven it before that he deserves his spot and has built up those brownie points. I think we all understand that side but the thing is, what sort of a message does it send out to the squad that if a player plays well when brought in but a more experienced player is fit the following week, the more experienced player automatically takes their spot? These experienced players won't be around forever. Successful teams pick players on form and not reputation and we have shown that ourselves by playing so many debutants already this year.

And to answer your Rampe question then yes, if he was injured and we conceded less than 50 points in each game he missed, there is absolutely no way am I disrupting that back 6, who in their right mind would? 😁

bringing fox in for an uninjured player who has just played his role (is there an echo?) in a winning side is ridiculous, unnecessary and sends a sh*te message ...
i don't mind fox, but he comes in when he's required, not under these circumstances ... just seems wrong, to me ... o'riordan doesn't deserve to be dropped
I agree with this...
I do see your point. But if Fox is fully fit, and we keep winning games, and the couple of players he would probably replace play their "role", then is that to say he won't get a game? If Rampe went out injured and our defence held strong and we conceded less then 50 points in each game he missed, would you be saying the same thing? I just think it's a little silly to sit and say player x is in our best 22 but cuz player y played his role pretty well then player x misses out.
And I agree with this...

Rampe's co-captain and our defence leader, so walks into the team as soon as fit. However, everyone else I think it will come down to who the match ups are and what the roles are that they want played... some times it just the luck of draw (literally) and those who are dropped are hard done by... it happens :(

Fox is a stalwart and has proven it before that he deserves his spot and has built up those brownie points. I think we all understand that side but the thing is, what sort of a message does it send out to the squad that if a player plays well when brought in but a more experienced player is fit the following week, the more experienced player automatically takes their spot? These experienced players won't be around forever. Successful teams pick players on form and not reputation and we have shown that ourselves by playing so many debutants already this year.

And to answer your Rampe question then yes, if he was injured and we conceded less than 50 points in each game he missed, there is absolutely no way am I disrupting that back 6, who in their right mind would? 😁
Sorry, but Rampe is a much greater player than COR and a Captain, and would always come straight back in... Perhaps you're new to footy, but I absolutely guarantee that COR knows this, expects this and respects this! The coaches will have made sure he is under no illusions about what is needed...

What COR is trying to do is to make every game count so that he is the one called up every time there is an injury in the back six, and it's pretty frequently... until he's permanent best 22.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If I was a betting man I’d get onto that.

But I’m not a betting man because I know betting is stupid so forget I said anything.

Ditto... but in an imaginary world id be lumping one of my spare houses on this.

Their leading goal kicker is suspended, one of their best defenders is out injured, our best one is back in, Fox is also available and Bud might be back too.

Wish I'd never opened and lost those Yoda, Boba Fett or Jawa action figures, reckon they might have given your 11% return a shake

???

I watched the game in bed wearing my ancient Mickey O T-shirt. It is the one with Mickey O in classic post goal celebration, where he terrifies the Chubby West Coast fan. It is stained with alcohol and tears of sadness and joy. It must be worth a fortune. 🤣

Though it is priceless to me.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
???

I watched the game in bed wearing my ancient Mickey O T-shirt. It is the one with Mickey O in classic post goal celebration, where he terrifies the Chubby West Coast fan. It is stained with alcohol and tears of sadness and joy. It must be worth a fortune. 🤣

Run of the mill... if you'd also spilt some kebab sauce on it, on your way home from watching the game at the pub it'd be worth 10 times more

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black

I don't think Hewett is in the best 22 makeup.
I know this is a circular argument. However the swans lost nothing by him not being there on Saturday night. (on his current position).

I don't think Hewett is in the best 22 makeup.
I know this is a circular argument. However the swans lost nothing by him not being there on Saturday night. (on his current position).

He suffered a fearful head knock v the GoCo and may not be ready to return. George is the player to tag Petracca when he goes forward. I am guessing Fox (if selected) or COR (if retained) gets that job.

I reckon George is rightfully well rated by the Club. Can play fwd, mid and back. George is flexible and is prepared to do whatever is required for the team. I am pretty sure he would prefer to be in the mids.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
He suffered a fearful head knock v the GoCo and may not be ready to return. George is the player to tag Petracca when he goes forward. I am guessing Fox (if selected) or COR (if retained) gets that job.

I reckon George is rightfully well rated by the Club. Can play fwd, mid and back. George is flexible and is prepared to do whatever is required for the team. I am pretty sure he would prefer to be in the mids.
Yeah he did cop quite the knock.
Hopefully he 100% right to come back .

I feel in regard to the mids. He's much lower in the pecking order now IMO. Florent, Warner, Mills have moved past him.
As for defence. He would be great to run with CP. If possible. However Melbournes mids that drift forward are bit more random than having him assigned to Dusty (for instance). He looks a bit lost in Defence IMO.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I do see your point. But if Fox is fully fit, and we keep winning games, and the couple of players he would probably replace play their "role", then is that to say he won't get a game? If Rampe went out injured and our defence held strong and we conceded less then 50 points in each game he missed, would you be saying the same thing? I just think it's a little silly to sit and say player x is in our best 22 but cuz player y played his role pretty well then player x misses out.

in theory, yes, if all players in front of him in the 22 are playing well and we're winning, why would you change the team? that's how good teams get better, the competition for places in the team raises standards across the board ... the point being that's in theory, and we know in reality it's not going to happen that way, and whether it be form or injuries, that's when changes are made ...
personally, i'd argue fox would come in for lloyd or cunningham, rather than o'riordan, but i doubt that will happen

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
???

one of the great non-grand final-winning moments in swans history!

Wish I'd never opened and lost those Yoda, Boba Fett or Jawa action figures, reckon they might have given your 11% return a shake
may fourth.jpg

Perhaps. But I don't think they will play him in the VFL for the 3rd time after having 2 really good games. I'd be more worried about him then Brown tbh. Think Weideman comes in for Fritsch and T Mac goes back. Viney is also likely to miss. Harmes will come in for him.

The Dees board is hilarious. The whole first page has no mention of Fritsch out. Now they say Weid for him. Spargo for Viney. Petty for Tomlinson. A weaker team then what it was v North.
Spargo has played every game mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back