Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday May7 2021 7:50 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have too many players going through the motions with little urgency. Menegola is a shell of his former self this year.

Yeah......even been noted by the commentators during some games. I thought the moment Smith went up to one of our young guys to encourage him, whilst everyone else basically ignored him, gave an interesting insight.

8pt game, this one. I was surprised by how many people were writing us off after last weekend - I think that was a bit premature. But lose this one and the season is getting pretty close to shot, I'd say.

For sure. We couldn’t be getting them at a better time. I think people still underestimate what a freak Grimes is. Him being out is as significant as Danger for us. He is their general. Not too mention Prestia who chopped us up in that prelim. Cotchin out is a massive bonus

He migjt be aware of it, but has he got them doing it? Has he had them doing it consistently over the last few years? Why have we rued the stagnancy of our forward structure for so long?

The proof is in the pudding. A forward coach he is not, imo.

You're right, the proof is in the pudding - we had the highest points for in the competition last year.

Grimes is a massive out. Just huge. Grimes, Prestia, Cotchin and Lambert are significant outs and their injuries are clearly worse than ours.

I think we will again back in Stanley.I know he can play 2-3 average games in a row, but historically, when he has a really shocking game, he does tend to come good the next week and surprise with a good showing. Glad he got it out the way last week rather than this week.

I actually thought we played quite well last week. Even when Swans were on top, we were still generating enough chances. We had nearly 30 shots on goal, so we generated enough chances, we were just dumb with our entries and inaccurate with conversion.

I thought Dahl looked like he is improving the last two weeks. Very limited player, but clearly seen as best 22 by those that matter.

I hope Higgins plays and plays well. He was brought in to be a difference in these big games on the G.

I think we’re on the up, we just need to tweak some things, but we’re getting Tigers at the best possible time and I’m confident we get the win here. 5-3 as opposed to 4-4 is huge
Clearly worse?

we are missing Dangerfield, miers, O’Connor, kolo And possibly Higgins.

oconnor is now a big out. Miers is underrated. And Dangerfield is still a bigger out then any of their outs.

it’s not clearly worse. It may not even be worse.

You're right, the proof is in the pudding - we had the highest points for in the competition last year.
Nah, apparently after having led scoring throughout the season we were meant to throw it out the window and try something else on Grand Final day. Sorry, at half time on Grand Final day given we were 15 points up at that stage.

Clearly worse?

oconnor is now a big out. Miers is underrated. And Dangerfield is still a bigger out then any of their outs.

Looking at that, yep, I stand by what I said. Their outs are clearly worse. Miers and O’Connor handy, but they aren’t Cotchin or Prestia..

I’m lead to believe Higgins will play. Kolo might too. You have listed several of our guys who might yet play. I’ve listed confirmed Tigers outs and they are massive IMO. Grimes out with Cameron, Hawk and Rohan is very bad for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be writing them off on the back of Grimes being out. Great player but he's made to look better because of their defensive system. Before Grimes it was Rance doing the exact same thing and when either has gone out Vlaustin has done the same thing. You need to beat the system because it's way more than the sum of its parts.

Clearly worse?

Can't agree on that. Prestia, Grimes and Cotchin are three of their most important players. Lambert is more than handy.

We're not at full strength either (obviously), but we'll never get a better chance than this.

I wouldn't be writing them off on the back of Grimes being out. Great player but he's made to look better because of their defensive system. Before Grimes it was Rance doing the exact same thing and when either has gone out Vlaustin has done the same thing. You need to beat the system because it's way more than the sum of its parts.

It is but he's been their best defender for a good 2-3 years now.

Clearly worse?

I think Kolo in this game is actually a considerable out for you guys over the others. Particularly because he does such a good job on Riewoldt generally.

If we bring the ball in the same way we did against the Swans, the available Richmond defenders will have more than enough capability to see off our forwards. Let alone if we kick at goal the same way we did last weekend.

For the eleventy millionth time, no football game is ever won on paper. And that has never been more true than against this current Tigers incarnation. Their ability to have team system beat individual skill is absolutely unparalleled. So I, for one, am really hoping that we're paying very little attention to who they are missing for this game. And focusing instead on how we need to play to beat the 22 soldiers they'll put out there Friday night. Unlike many teams I've watched over the years, this Richmond line-up doesn't waver greatly in their output based on personnel. It's just system, system, system until the opposition wilts under the strain of persistent pressure.

Last edited:
Conversion rate is in the hands of the opposition. Only 39 entries is pretty good, but we could only have tried to force them wider to circumvent their accuracy.
Not all on the opposition. Where are they having their set shots? Is the defensive pressure hot enough? I mean McLean took a few marks in the goal square basically. Not good enough.

Not sure who is writing them off. Their injuries and outs don’t guarantee us a win. But what it does do, is absolutely increase our chances of securing a valuable 4-points. We will have to play very well to win, but we won’t get a better chance than on Friday night..

If we try get over them through a sheer weight of forward entry numbers then we're just working hard padding Grimes and Vlaustins stats. We need to think about our entries.

Sydney beat them by moving it short and drawing their spare defenders out. Melbourne just handpassed around them. I think we need to hit the corridor and kick to whichever side they have fewer numbers on. We also can't let our mids get sucked forward too much. They need to stay out and defend the rebound exit
Yes agree staying out and defending the rebound exit is very important .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back