Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I guess the point is, the people who were responsible from a footy department perspective, have been removed from the club. The majority of supporters still think it was a poorly executed decision/s (one of many by the previous footy dept.), however Noble/Brady/Luff are the ones cleaning up the mess. Hence why I’m pretty keen on cutting them getting some slack and giving them time to sort this sh**.
I don't have much in the way of strongly held criticisms of the new batch of coaches and administrators in the footy department, and I don't think they've made any outrageously wrong decisions so far. There's a few decisions I think aren't the best possible options, but I recognise the validity of them nonetheless. If anything I believe they should be getting more support, and my eyes are firmly on the board in that regard.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We've largely wasted just how good those blokes were too.

We had to build a crop that would flourish and somewhat take more and more responsibility off their shoulders as years went on. But, I feel like the pressure was still mounting on them rather than the other blokes that had heaps of time to develop.

It was always about restructuring and trying to divert from our deficiencies that ultimately, would end up hitting us hard when said blokes had to go.

The money throwing at star players weren't cherry on tops, they would be the heavy lifters and that in itself confirms just how badly we needed talent at mature age. Those players didn't want the burden that the previous guys got and well, that's what happened.

Leaders can be leaders without having to play above and beyond every match. Which was what we were asking our older guns to do. It doesn't work. Dusty has blinders, but he's helped by guys that do a lot of heavy lifting that gets him involved. Not the other way around.

It's the dynamic of a premiership team. Don't overwork your stars and cook them to the point they can't make September. Durable and consistent guys mixed with outright guns are what you need.

Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, Sydney etc. They all had em.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's more than that though. It's not just 4 years wasted in isolation. Jack, Cunners, Goldy, Taz etc are all 4 years closer to the end than they should have been. If we did the job properly the first time around they would have been high level contributors as we were peaking again. But now we're faced with the prospect of probably having to phase many (most?) of those guys out of the squad and replacing them with ???.

Thats where a lot of my personal angst comes from. Those guys will almost definately miss out on success, which is bad enough, but now we're also faced with having to start trying and replace them in the middle of the rebuild rather than after we've pulled it off which is a much harder task.
I guess the point is, the people who were responsible from a footy department perspective, have been removed from the club. The majority of supporters still think it was a poorly executed decision/s (one of many by the previous footy dept.), however Noble/Brady/Luff are the ones cleaning up the mess. Hence why I’m pretty keen on cutting them getting some slack and giving them time to sort this sh**.

you're both right

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It's more than that though. It's not just 4 years wasted in isolation. Jack, Cunners, Goldy, Taz etc are all 4 years closer to the end than they should have been. If we did the job properly the first time around they would have been high level contributors as we were peaking again. But now we're faced with the prospect of probably having to phase many (most?) of those guys out of the squad and replacing them with ???.

Thats where a lot of my personal angst comes from. Those guys will almost definately miss out on success, which is bad enough, but now we're also faced with having to start trying and replace them in the middle of the rebuild rather than after we've pulled it off which is a much harder task.

We should be out of a rebuild now with those 4 still playing good footy. Now we’re tasked with not only rebuilding but replacing our only real proven A graders.

Look overall you have a point re: compromised drafts but the period of 2013 to 2018 netted us very few players still on the list, in my opinion you have to say drafting is a part of it. Balancing the books was a pretty important thing but in the laidley years where it was ultimately prevalent you could argue that the shinboner spirit was at its zenith. I maintain we never should have extended scott when we did, i understand why but it was a gamble that did not pay off. Now we are copping it.

I think the Scott regime was a massive part of eradicating the shinboner spirit. I get his POV was that if we won games we won them because we played well not because of the SS but his disdain for the term caused a rejection of the ethos.

Delisting Boomer, Spud , Drew and to a waaay lesser extent NDS was in retrospect a big part of eradicating the last bastions of that, to be honest I was ok with those delistings at the time but I see now Boomer/Spud/Drew were integral to that.

However, the delistings of last year are different. I doubt we’d be much better if we had any combination of the 11 delistings at AFL level (perhaps our VFL side would be better) but largely I think the injury list (any the players on that list) is dictating our fortunes at that level, I do think the top up players are not up to snuff however.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good points but remember there were more than the 3 drafts compromised in reality. The 3 straight up butchered ones then the 2-3 afterwards where finishing mid table meant a pick in the late teens because GC & GWS were such a disaster and could also retrade into the draft with the larger list sizes and pre selection they'd had. Those 3 drafts were a write off and the next few were compromised as well.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good points but remember there were more than the 3 drafts compromised in reality. The 3 straight up butchered ones then the 2-3 afterwards where finishing mid table meant a pick in the late teens because GC & GWS were such a disaster and could also retrade into the draft with the larger list sizes and pre selection they'd had. Those 3 drafts were a write off and the next few were compromised as well.
yet other teams managed to flourish in this period, gotta say we just plain sucked with recruitment.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not buying the compromised draft nonsense.

I feel like we largely took too many safe options until it was time to actually go after superstar draftees.

The 2013-2016 season proved we didn't have outright guns waiting in the VFL and we largely relied on our senior types and top ups from other clubs.

We had to blood more young guys when we had a huge senior wall of experience.

Boomer, Dish, Spitta, Wells, Thommo, Tarrant, Goldy, Cunners, JZ, etc.

That's a huge amount of experience right there that would've benefited from young blood. So when they do leave, we've got the crop to not have to bottom out.

But I like to think we had too many guys peak without enough distribution of talent.

Its just we never had the right balance.

yet other teams managed to flourish in this period, gotta say we just plain sucked with recruitment.

Did they? I'd argue it's not until the Bulldogs in 2016 that we see a team that has built over that period and even they had a heap of senior talent left form their previous build prior to GC & GWS. Not saying we couldn't have done better but that period is dominated by 2-3 clubs who built prior to these new teams (Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood & Geelong - along with a strong Saints team that also built before then).

I'm not buying the compromised draft nonsense.

I feel like we largely took too many safe options until it was time to actually go after superstar draftees.

The 2013-2016 season proved we didn't have outright guns waiting in the VFL and we largely relied on our senior types and top ups from other clubs.

We had to blood more young guys when we had a huge senior wall of experience.

Boomer, Dish, Spitta, Wells, Thommo, Tarrant, Goldy, Cunners, JZ, etc.

That's a huge amount of experience right there that would've benefited from young blood. So when they do leave, we've got the crop to not have to bottom out.

But I like to think we had too many guys peak without enough distribution of talent.

Its just we never had the right balance.

We did take safe options but it is also fair to say that we didn't have much of a hand to work with. To my eye we just kept trying to fill that one last hole constantly - which I agree was a bad choice - but I can see an argument as to why the team did as they did given they were just out of the shadow of league headed execution. I don't necessarily agree with their entire approach but it's not hard to see why they may have felt it necessary.

I mean you kinda have to take safer options when your first pick is pick 18 after you finish 9th.

The compromised drafts meant our 9th, 9th, 8th, netted us:
Pick 18
Pick 18
Pick 15

So we made finals and got a better pick than in the years we didn't.

I mean you kinda have to take safer options when your first pick is pick 18 after you finish 9th.

Pick 18
Pick 18
Pick 15

That's it yeah. Unfortunately we started building right at the wrong time and needed everything to go right for us. Honestly think a player like JWS not going down could have been the difference for us, but it was not to be.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pick 18
Pick 18
Pick 15

Did they? I'd argue it's not until the Bulldogs in 2016 that we see a team that has built over that period and even they had a heap of senior talent left form their previous build prior to GC & GWS. Not saying we couldn't have done better but that period is dominated by 2-3 clubs who built prior to these new teams (Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood & Geelong - along with a strong Saints team that also built before then).

We did take safe options but it is also fair to say that we didn't have much of a hand to work with. To my eye we just kept trying to fill that one last hole constantly - which I agree was a bad choice - but I can see an argument as to why the team did as they did given they were just out of the shadow of league headed execution. I don't necessarily agree with their entire approach but it's not hard to see why they may have felt it necessary.
Good points.

At least we have the talent now, it is all about development.

Man if we can pinch Harry....

Good points.

Not overly likely but that would be the sort of coup that could be a massive shortcut as we wouldn't need to go to the draft to fill a key role.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Good points.

Dunno. The WAG seems like a royal pain in the arse, plus he’s got a chequered past.
251A89FE-A7B1-4336-BFA5-DBD7CC0EF029.jpeg

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s doing well and I suppose his job is safe so doesn’t need to take the “ pittards” of this world to ensure contract extensions .

It’s an exciting time if you want it to be. or of course you could complain about how not keeping ******* Browns and Higgin has cost us a chance at ninth spot on the ladder .

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Can coach. Saw the game plan in full flight in that 1st half. As the boys get more games and bigger tanks we will put sides to the sword

Very encouraging that he's forcing the players to keep up with the game style rather than winding it back to an ultra conservative mode so everyone is nice and comfortable. Get some better players back into the team and onto the list, get them fitter and boom.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very encouraging that he's forcing the players to keep up with the game style rather than winding it back to an ultra conservative mode so everyone is nice and comfortable. Get some better players back into the team and onto the list, get them fitter and boom.
Definitely. The easier route would be to put players behind the footy, particularly when we aren't as experienced or as fit. But he has stuck to his guns and we are looki ng better each week. Sure, we will run out of legs but some of that ball movement in the first half was brilliant - dynamic, fast, and direct. Larkey was given some better footy and he has looked better, and CZ is getting to the right spots but just cant punctuate his work. Hall and Ziebell down back have given us a lot of punch coming out. Signs are really positive.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Well said summed up perfectly i think.

Back