Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Does Joyce have a long term role at the Saints? Is he good enough? I must admit, I was surprised to see him at AFL level again and he was serviceable on the weekend, but it wasn't against great opposition, so a little hard to judge and gauge whether he is AFL standard.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Ellis is a dangerous player but they also have other dangerous midfielders with Touk Miller, Greenwood, Bowes, Anderson, Lukosius, Weller and Swallow.

It's an impressive spread of talent even without Rowell, when they add him back into their line up they will have one of the strongest midfields around.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
i remember people were ropeable on geary and wanted him gone because of his ball use when he was absolutely butchering it for a couple of seasons. he turned that around and turned into a very handy player.

dmac looks to have fixed his disposal, it's not elite like say JB or Clark, but its getting the job done. he's now got a good size, similar to Sinclair, and can run out games.

the thing we haven't seen, is his overhead game which was a bit of a highlight of his early when he started with us. i'd like to see him really get that back.

i think people are a bit too harsh on him and don't see the potential anymore that we all saw in him early on. I'm hopeful he can continue to grow and improve.
Never saw potential in him. Most remarkable thing about him is the rapidly receding hairline.

I definitely didn't mention trading him, as I said I rate him.

I don't think he'll ever be a wingman though and I agree he's well out of form.

I'd be picking him this week but if his form doesn't improve it might be best for him to go back for a few weeks and play the role that suits him most.
When a player is played in the seconds, I'm very keen to see them played in the position we want them to play in in the seniors.
Running through the midfield gets the player some touch, or CHB gets a lot of key postion experience but there are nuances to be learned when playing the position they are ultimately expected to play in.

I agree to a point but DMac has been good this year. Couldn't do much more than he's doing. He's probably the only player in the side that could claim to be playing at 100% capacity with both work rate and skills. His kicking has improved out of sight as has his composure. DMac is probably a depth player that has earned his spot in the current side, Battle is a developing tall that is struggling to cement his spot at the moment but has time on his side. There is something very Geary like about DMac, nice bloke, hard worker, lacks skills but you know he'll try his arse off and eventually will earn some respect for it.
Also DMac has more speed than most players - especially in bursts.
It takes a lot of practice to kick at genuine burst speed - you have to throw the ball forward in a controlled manner and judge the step size (otherwise you can shin it or make awkward high ankle contact - mucking up the accuracy). It looks as if Hind is finally getting there.

I tend to agree, Think he has improved this year. He was fantastic v WCE, was caught a couple of times v Tiger but he had lots of mates, and at least out the physical stuff up against Port when they were bullying us.

I reckon he is a better kick than Geary and is as hard at it as anyone in the team. He reminds me of Powell the way he goes in and under, just burrows in. An athlete more than footballer and must use that as his strength. Can be a proficient bottom 6 player.

i love how he’s making the most of his opportunity and is now very much in the mix when probably everyone had written him off.
Hope he continues to say “up yours“ to all of us!

Just quietly, Battle is ~18 months younger than Joyce so if it's a question of development, scope for improvement I'd stick with Battle.

No issue with the idea of letting someone play a bunch of games strung together to see if they can nail down a spot, but to my mind it's Joyce who needs to establish himself in a hurry, not Josh.
Joyce was plucked out of Ireland and thrown a footy gernsey and has been learning ever since
Battle was a junior AFL star and has a lifetime of familiarity with the sport

I'd say Joyce is developing brilliantly, very happy with his performances this year

Both are worthy players. Isn't it great that we have these problems? Too many good players to fit in the 22.

moirae42

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Joyce went alright this week. I reckon he may have been able to touch that goal where he jumped looking away but thats stretching it a tad.

I thought Battle was actually really good this week. If you sit through the Kayo Mini of the game which is just a run of all the goals basically. Battle features in quite a few of ours by competing in the air and getting it to ground. In most of those he was 2v1 at least. Still not sure what his best position is. If we persist with him forward then perhaps he should be modelling himself on Aaron Naughton to an extent. Needs to present and smash at the footy. He has the rig to do it. One out as a forward he's pretty good and you would back him in. Not as convinced with him down back.

Battle needs a position however. And without one it could be detrimental.

Thought Joyce did well enough to hold his spot . Seemed to work well with Howard . Joyce has improved a lot since he last played in the seniors . Pretty sure Frawley will need at least one or maybe two games in the twos to make sure he is right to go . Seems strange that Ratts seems to have no interest in playing Carlisle in the backline anymore .
Dunstan , Lonie and Highmore all played well in Sandy’s loss but unless someone gets injured I can’t see any changes for the Gold Coast game .
Hopefully people will get off Hill’s back for awhile . He has always been one of those players who has a quiet game every so often . But his game against the Hawks showed what he is capable of .

I must mention, baring an injury at training, Seb Ross is going to break my record this week . In five seasons of being a player advocate he will be my first player to play 8 consecutive games and hopefully bring my player curse to an end . Still I won’t be celebrating until he actually runs out on the ground . Going to be a nervous week for me .

Just quietly, Battle is ~18 months younger than Joyce so if it's a question of development, scope for improvement I'd stick with Battle.

No issue with the idea of letting someone play a bunch of games strung together to see if they can nail down a spot, but to my mind it's Joyce who needs to establish himself in a hurry, not Josh.

Joyce is coming from a fair way back having not grown up playing the game. That said he's going to be lucky to be given another contract. I think we will persist with Battle, he's quality but still need to find somewhere for him to play. Third tall players seem to be our new HBFs, we're going to stock pile them.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
We win purely because our best midfielder is back.

images

Joyce was plucked out of Ireland and thrown a footy gernsey and has been learning ever since
Battle was a junior AFL star and has a lifetime of familiarity with the sport

I'd say Joyce is developing brilliantly, very happy with his performances this year

Both are worthy players. Isn't it great that we have these problems? Too many good players to fit in the 22.

I believe his background was also Hurling, and not Gaelic

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highmore and Battle are the same height (193 cm). Highmore is actually 7 months older than Battle too, which surprised me a little. So it doesn't make sense that we've labeled Highmore as a third tall but Battle as a potential CHB.
Highmore looks smaller in person than Battle does.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
In big bodied experience : DMac & Dunstan
Out: Bytel & Byrnes

Thoughts?
I’m looking forward to the responses to this.
Subscribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back