Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crippa#9

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Digressing a little...
Anyone else slightly frustrated at lack of access to player interviews and just generally poor overall coverage of our team re: CFC website?
Feels like our whole media department have been laid off? Assume the soft cap crunch has something to do with it.

*No post game interviews with players anymore...for example, would of been great to hear from Matty Owies after kicking his first goal in AFL.
*Still nothing on Sunday's win that isn't just a match footage grab. Zero. No catch up with one of our TWO captains or any of our coaches. One of the biggest wins we've had in 12 months...
*Nothing on how injured players Paddy Dow or Mitch McGovern are?
*No chat with Charlie on how he is...fans have barely seen or heard from him for two years...
*No catch up with Marchbank since his ACL op.
*Next to no footage of weekly training
*Maybe an interview with Harry on his breakout season form.
*zero personal interest stories...Luke Parks anyone?

All we see is quick 2 minute grabs from matches and every news item published seems to be simply a copy&paste from the AFL website.

Compared to the access fans get with their supported teams in NFL, EPL, NBA the AFL is sooo far behind.

Poor form.

Last edited:

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Digressing a little...
Anyone else slightly frustrated at lack of access to players interviews and just generally poor coverage of our team re: CFC website? Feels like our whole media department have been laid off? Assume the soft cap crunch has something to do with it.

Would have nothing to do with the soft cap, that only applies to the Football Department.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
The bummers part though - I’ve seen it written a couple of times and am not certain I understand what it’s implying?
Bummers --> Bombers

It's the same as why you would call Collingwood, Colliwobbles or North, Norf - They're just terms to make fun of clubs and their supporters.

The bummers part though - I’ve seen it written a couple of times and am not certain I understand what it’s implying?
Serious? An oldish denigration of bombers.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
It's definitely used in a derogatory sense by many
Sure but homophobic? I wouldn't have thought so.
Mostly by the English, it's not really an Australian thing.

I got told off once when having some cricket chat in England for saying something like "We (Australia) smashed the Pakis". Got more than a few stern looks from a few in the pub and was promptly told that wasn't ok. I quickly learned that Paki is apparently a very racist term in the UK (Essentially on par with the N word). Not really the case anywhere else

Agreed, but not all negative names are equal either. Curious for your take on the name discussed above?
Bummers? I've always saw it the way the way Thy did. Didn't make the gay connection. Never used it, and now I never will.

Ban it anyway. It's crap.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Thank god that pretentious flog is gone. Simply in it for himself. Good player though.
He made a total goose of himself when he came out and said that they were looking for an experienced coach and did not want a coach with training wheels, and then appointed Teague for 2 years.

I've always hated those negative nicknames for other teams. Just think it's childish, like a 7 year old bully making fun of someone's name.
I don't do filth and scum - I mean, wtf, am I 8?

Bummers? I've always saw it the way the way Thy did. Didn't make the gay connection. Never used it, and now I never will.

Ban it anyway. It's crap.
bummer

He made a total goose of himself when he came out and said that they were looking for an experienced coach and did not want a coach with training wheels, and then appointed Teague for 2 years.
He was parroting the internal party line ( mistakenly I think in public) at the time- Teague's relief wins and the player' preference for him as well as all the obvious changes any experienced coach would have requested be made to the whole coaching line up an even football department makeup - made Teague the easier call. Teague himself was not convinced it was time for him - I think the player support convinced him - for obvious reasons.

Where the Club got it wrong if it did get it wrong and time will tell on that this year - is not appointing a senior experienced helping hand to Teague- but maybe they thought they had that in Barker and maybe they do - who knows for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back