VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall too many on here at the time suggesting that another key forward was a huge need.

Did we need key forward depth? Yes for sure, but we could have picked up a developing key forward at the back end of the draft.

Jackson Callow went undrafted. He's had a solid start in the SANFL averaging 5 marks and a goal a game.

I know we have to pretend we are all stoked with our draft every year, but I reckon a draft haul of someone like Poulter, Highmore and Callow would have been much better.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

We don't though.
Back in the day when we had Kosi and Roo, most people here thought we were fine for forwards. We weren't.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I don't recall too many on here at the time suggesting that another key forward was a huge need.

Did we need key forward depth? Yes for sure, but we could have picked up a developing key forward at the back end of the draft.

Jackson Callow went undrafted. He's had a solid start in the SANFL averaging 5 marks and a goal a game.

I know we have to pretend we are all stoked with our draft every year, but I reckon a draft haul of someone like Poulter, Highmore and Callow would have been much better.

I'm not sure anyone was suggesting selecting another bog average mid/hbf was high on our list of needs as well. On exposed form there are no missing guns we should have selected instead of Allison.

Poulter has played one game in a side that is sitting 17th on the ladder so that's hardly gun confirmation.

We need to be looking at a key forward and I'd prefer we selected an underdeveloped tall with pace and agility over some young bloke in mans body who looks good in the underage purely because of his bulk.

If people like our recruiters and Doerre and Twomey reckon he was top 30 then I'm not gonna complain about the wisdom of selecting player him based on the fact that he hasn't got a game after having been at the club for three minutes.

Actually I reckon he's gonna end up making Roo look like a lightweight.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not sure anyone was suggesting selecting another bog average mid/hbf was high on our list of needs as well. On exposed form there are no missing guns we should have selected instead of Allison.

Poulter has played one game in a side that is sitting 17th on the ladder so that's hardly gun confirmation.

We need to be looking at a key forward and I'd prefer we selected an underdeveloped tall with pace and agility over some young bloke in mans body who looks good in the underage purely because of his bulk.

If people like our recruiters and Doerre and Twomey reckon he was top 30 then I'm not gonna complain about the wisdom of selecting player him based on the fact that he hasn't got a game after having been at the club for three minutes.

Actually I reckon he's gonna end up making Roo look like a lightweight.
I think you have Poulter confused with someone else. He's far from a young bloke in a man's body. Sure he's tall but he was drafted at 79kg. He's got a lot of weight to put on.

He's had a pretty decent start IMO.

On exposed form it's hard to say anyone except a few taken very high will be guns at this stsge but I'm not basing my opinion on exposed form.

This was opinion in December and it hasn't changed.

The concern isn't who is and who isn't playing AFL in the first 6 weeks though.

I dont think either of those guys had him top 30. Twomey had him between 30-60, not top 30.

Last edited:

I think you have Poulter confused with someone else. He's far from a young bloke in a man's body. Sure he's tall but he was drafted at 79kg. He's got a lot of weight to put on.
Think Pebbs is talking about Callow.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

He's had a pretty decent start IMO.

On exposed form it's hard to say anyone except a few taken very high will be guns at this stsge but I'm not basing my opinion on exposed form.

This was opinion in December and it hasn't changed.

I dont think either of those guys had him top 30. Twomey had him between 30-60, not top 30.
Nah I was talking about Callow being a young bloke in a mans body. 194 cm and already 100+ kg's. The knock on him was lack of athleticism and mobility, couple that with a big "mans" body and I'm not surprised he wasn't selected by anyone.

BTW - Twomey named Allison as a selection possibility for GWS at Pick 30.
1620091213046.png

Doerre had him at 31 just after Tom Highmore

1620090933568.png

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hopefully, but I think he's a genuine project player.

Only in the sense that we didn't get to see how he went as a top age player.

The guys that track these kids for years obviously had to pick all Victorian kids based on a projection of how they think they would have developed.

To me a project player is one who comes from the clouds and is a long shot to make it.... not one who has been watched for a number of seasons and was selected reasonably early (at a point that was expected).

Semantics I know.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Well no one thought we needed a medium defender either, but because if injuries and we got one that has been able to show his abilities immediately it's not being questioned.
As it turns out, despite our opinions here we did need a Highmore, so the club was aware or something we weren't.
I think this might be the same thing...

Since l haven't seen this kid yet, if Stew is happy then that's good enough for me.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah I was talking about Callow being a young bloke in a mans body. 194 cm and already 100+ kg's. The knock on him was lack of athleticism and mobility, couple that with a big "mans" body and I'm not surprised he wasn't selected by anyone.

View attachment 1118313

View attachment 1118311
Right, thought you were talking about Poulter.

31 isn't top 30, neither is 30-60. But it does sound better when you say top 30.

He had him a possible selection but didnt actually have him at 30 where he had Shannon Neale.

I'm not too fussed about where the media put him in their phantom drafts anyway, but you can probably get your point across without stretching the truth.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I know I say this a lot but I really wish we were able to make our own vfl side OR be called the Sandy saints and use our colours. We’re so behind the right all - almost every other team has their own not just an affiliate and even the two that don’t have their own (Melbourne and hawthorn) at least gave their AFL nickname in it. Plus if we were standalone we could play games at Moorabbin.

but yes I know - 13 million in debt makes it hard to make sh*t like that happen.
We have complete control of sandy. Why does it matter that what we are called. We use this excuse all the time because we have terrible depth.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
1620094904257.png

Jeez - no wonder Allison can't get a game. He's a forward, leave him there and let him develop - why are we trying to turn him into a winger/backman!!!

We're gonna ruin his development and I won't be surprised if he's looking for a new club at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1118313

View attachment 1118311

So the trick with Callow , is to toss a 4n20 pie into the air near the ball, and he'll go for the pie every times.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
View attachment 1118362

Jeez - no wonder Allison can't get a game. He's a forward, leave him there and let him develop - why are we trying to turn him into a winger/backman!!!

We're gonna ruin his development and I won't be surprised if he's looking for a new club at the end of the season.
In all seriousness, it was strange to read that Clav was forced to play on a small because we had too many talls in the back line.

In all seriousness, it was strange to read that Clav was forced to play on a small because we had too many talls in the back line.
They must be getting him ready for Charlie Cameron

Carlisle forward?

Battle back?

Clavarino forward?

Allison back?

tenor.gif

tumblr_mz3chyJswb1t5wwy1o1_500.gif

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have complete control of sandy. Why does it matter that what we are called. We use this excuse all the time because we have terrible depth.
Yeah we have terrible depth but it just feels weird. We’re the only team that doesn’t take the same name for our VFL affiliate.

Sake as the AFL I guess, not naming sides until the day prior.

Gives me the shits
Good chance that changes soon. Andy Maher has been banging on about it all season, now Whateley and Robbo have started and I think even Gil conceded during the week they’re looking at it thank god.

Only in the sense that we didn't get to see how he went as a top age player.

The guys that track these kids for years obviously had to pick all Victorian kids based on a projection of how they think they would have developed.

To me a project player is one who comes from the clouds and is a long shot to make it.... not one who has been watched for a number of seasons and was selected reasonably early (at a point that was expected).

Semantics I know.

He was a short guy that grew a massive amount and had limited exposure as a tall. We took him on the athletic testing he did well in. I would have preferred a guy with more exposed form but Libba has been fairly good so far compared to trout so we have to just keep our fingers crossed that Allison turns into a player and that the guys that the forum wanted like Poulter are lemons.

He was a short guy that grew a massive amount and had limited exposure as a tall.

The trouble with these sudden growth spurts is that the increase in height is not always equally distributed

tK27oSP.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back