Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 6:

Part four is here.

And that’s what quarantine is about. Australian citizens should. Always have the option to come home. If we want to quarantine them then we can do that but we do it on our soil and we provide the quarantine facilities. We’ve had over a year to provide them. The government has failed to do so and is now letting people risk death in another country because of that failure. These Australians pay taxes for our health services. They are being denied what they have paid for.
For over a year, conditions in other countries have been far worse than here "at home" in Australia. If you leave for a country with limited health facilities, a huge population living cheek by jowl, and a pandemic happening, I'm sorry for you. In 2 weeks' time you may be able to return.

For over a year, conditions in other countries have been far worse than here "at home" in Australia. If you leave for a country with limited health facilities, a huge population living cheek by jowl, and a pandemic happening, I'm sorry for you. In 2 weeks' time you may be able to return.
You leave knowing you can return with the next flight within 24 hours. with the knowledge that your country won’t block you from returning if this is a humanitarian disaster.

do you get the country is on the verge of a humanitarian crisis with food supplies about to be cut In some parts? Forget just the virus. Australians might not be able to access Food, water and shelter because they don’t live there. They live in Australia.

the United nations needs to come down on us hard. This is citizen abuse. our human rights are being denied.

This simply isn't true.

People leaving the country now would be idiotic to think they can simply jump on the very next flight home.
And that’s only because our government is denying the rights of Australians through its idiotic flight cap.

citizens have no such issue returning home in other countries.

interesting that you side with the alt right view on this topic rather than the humanitarian view.

And that’s only because our government is denying the rights of Australians through its idiotic flight cap.

interesting that you side with the alt right view on this topic rather than the humanitarian view.

Interesting that you continue to live in fantasy land.

So your solution is no flight caps and complete freedom of travel? That's working well for other countries.

Most other countries in the world, including paragons of liberty and freedom such as the US and UK, have placed restrictions on foreign visitors since COVID began. There is however a massive difference between the rights of citizens to return, and the rights of foreigners to visit, and I haven't seen much evidence in the previous mega-thread of support in banning the former.

It is also separate from the pragmatic viewpoint that if you leave Australia, you might struggle to get back. Before the India ban, however, any Australian citizen could still get back - it just might take a longer time due to the flight cap. It does not constitute a revocation of your right of return, though. Restricting non-citizens from India? Sensible. Threatening Australian citizens with jail time for trying to come back? Not sensible.

And alt right views? Seriously?

This is a weird angle you've chosen.

Do people think Australian citizens are travelling to India just for some vindaloo? There's a multitude of reasons people would be travelling there and wanting to return here. Same as when state borders have closed it has had heart-breaking consequences for many.

Very scary the kind of powers governments have been able to use, unchecked, throughout this whole thing regardless of whether you think they have been required or not.

1. People who left Australia during these times knew the risks
2. No sympathy for any of them. Why should the rest of Australias population be put at risk by them?
3. Those stories about waiting 9 months to return home are a joke. I know some people who waited about 2-3 months to get back to Australia but they constantly chased up the embassy travel agents etc. The ones who been 'waiting' 9 months a year etc just want attention but don't actually want to come back

1. I agree, The risks are there. Media glorify it all by reporting on one person who went for a wedding and now the stupid public think 20,000 people left last month for weddings. However, there is no law in place that can prevent people who have dual citizenship or PR in Aus from coming and going. The government has barely lifted a finger, repatriated aussies on government organised flights wouldnt even make 5% of the returned people up. The people with rights to enter 2 countries earned that right or obtained it though birth. The government cant block them, but they also dont have to provide a flight for them or financially support them.
2. This risk stuff is getting blown out the water. Over 120,000 people have come home this year and I doubt there would have been 1% with Covid. Then the media rarely report on how many are historical or if they do its hidden down in the text, not the main graphic. The quarantine system is a mile from what it was at the point of the Melbourne break out. The risk is just as much the governments fault for forcing people to fly multiple country and city pathways to get home after the preflight test so they catch it while passing through america or the UK. Couple of direct flights a month from major cities reduces the risk by a huge amount.
3. I suggest you join a few facebook groups and read peoples stories. You couldnt get further from the truth. You can only fly if there are flights. Some countries have lots of flights and are allowing people to pass through, others do not. I personally know at least 2 dozen people with 12 or more cancelled flights, and that is just from one group from Canada. I myself had 6 months of waiting, 5 attempts, even attempted sailing 2 months by sea to get home as the flights were so few and far between last year. Attention seeking has to be the dumbest comment I have seen in a while. They are eating from homeless shelters for attention. Right. Dont forget people dont have a 20k cash reserve for cancelled flights. 2 cancelled flights for a family of 4 at 12k a pop bankrupts people, then they have to work or try to get the money together, or fight for refunds to get another flight.

Denying citizens who have committed no crime from returning to their own country - and imprisonment on those who try - is morally repugnant in my view, and it should be considered a disgraceful illegitimate action by both sides of politics - your rights as an Australian citizen who has done absolutely nothing wrong must be inalienable. There are legitimate public health reasons for controlling re-entry by citizens, of course, but that is why we have quarantine systems. I hope the government pays for it at the ballot box - but I'm not holding out hope.

I read that Andrew Bolt - Andrew f***ing Bolt of all people - has criticised this action as racist and that the Australian government would not have even considered this if it was the UK in the middle of a devastating wave of COVID. He is absolutely correct (yes, I just vomited in my mouth saying that).

Anyway, just wanted to post that because there didn't seem to be an appropriate SRP thread and I'll retreat from this thread once more. Peace out.

Couldnt have said it better myself. We celebrated ANZAC day literally last week, days later government publicly declares to leave Aussies behind and fine them for trying to come home. Disgrace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im glad someone of high profile like Michael Slater is speaking up. Easy to brush everyday people under the rug, but public figures will be heard a lot louder than someone like me.
And yet there are other members of the Aussie cricketing cohort prepared to wait it out in their bubble.

It's really not.

Perth is experiencing the same stuff ups as Melbourne. Melbourne's had a few this year alone. As have NSW and QLD.
Couldn't believe that ordinary guests are sharing quarantine hotels in Perth (staffed by unvaccinated guards). Wtf? Has this been happening elsewhere? Wouldn't you want to stay virtually anywhere but in a hotel being used for quarantine? Nice work, McClown.

It's really not.

Perth is experiencing the same stuff ups as Melbourne. Melbourne's had a few this year alone. As have NSW and QLD.

Its not? I thought part of the reason was that people who were meant to be in home quarantine were out at the beach and crap like that? :drunk:
I dont think medi hotels existed. They have even gone as far as disconnecting ovens and taking hair dryers away. No one can touch your luggage, private van transport, better airport planning, improved hotel system to include air flow focus. Security now have no contact and involvement with patients what so ever from my experience.

I don’t agree with the racism claims, that to me is people projecting their own unacknowledged Indian racism, but there should remain some re-entry quarantining channels, as there are obviously a lot of Australians who visit India fairly regularly for work, play and family reasons. A lot of elderly relatives in India to catch up with after difficult years apart.

Couldn't believe that ordinary guests are sharing quarantine hotels in Perth (staffed by unvaccinated guards). Wtf? Has this been happening elsewhere? Wouldn't you want to stay virtually anywhere but in a hotel being used for quarantine? Nice work, McClown.

Pretty sure I've read about it elsewhere. Without checking, SA and VIC spring to mind.

From memory, the hotels aren't required to disclose it in any way either.

Just a shambles. If you're using the hotel for HQ, book the entire thing. The cost of bookings the entire place out is nothing in comparison to shutting the city of Perth down for 3 days.

And yet there are other members of the Aussie cricketing cohort prepared to wait it out in their bubble.
Everyone is different. While Slater knew the risks, I very much doubt the possibility of being locked out from his own country would ever have been discussed prior to him leaving. After all it is supposedly illegal and law suits are already mounting.

Its not? I thought part of the reason was that people who were meant to be in home quarantine were out at the beach and crap like that? :drunk:
I dont think medi hotels existed. They have even gone as far as disconnecting ovens and taking hair dryers away. No one can touch your luggage, private van transport, better airport planning, improved hotel system to include air flow focus. Security now have no contact and involvement with patients what so ever from my experience.

The problem is still the human factor. Having people quarantine in major metro centres, in hotels staffed by people, sharing common ventilation etc... has been the issue the entire time.

Sure they might have improved the process somewhat of getting people there, but there's just so many risk factors involved and we're seeing regular 'leaks'. Howard Springs from memory hasn't had one.

Interesting that you continue to live in fantasy land.

So your solution is no flight caps and complete freedom of travel? That's working well for other countries.
the solution is effective quarantine. There Should of been mass construction effort to build quarantine facilties. To date there is still virtually nothing being done here. This is a mass failure on the government and ourselves for not pushing for it. We have to bare the risks now. We can’t just deny Australians their rights because we collectively as a society failed to build sufficient protections. we need to share those failures. Only then will we perhaps be forced to fix this issue. Currently we are making australians in India the scape goats for our failures and they may well pay for that with their lives Through lack of oxygen or food.

and not complete freedom to travel. Freedom to return home to your own country and face strict quarantine. It’s a human right decreed by the UN To return to your land. It disgusts me that you would deny people their Australian rights like it was nothing. Truly disgusting.

2. No sympathy for any of them. Why should the rest of Australias population be put at risk by them?
3. Those stories about waiting 9 months to return home are a joke. I know some people who waited about 2-3 months to get back to Australia but they constantly chased up the embassy travel agents etc. The ones who been 'waiting' 9 months a year etc just want attention but don't actually want to come back

still no sign of the ‘red list’ scomo announced in a thought bubble 2 weeks ago, but go n, deflect and play the man toward anyone not wholly on board the scomo train.

slater should have just rung Dutton or someone, he’d be home already. But don’t criticise the (what was it theyused to call Andrews? ‘Chairman scomo?’

Seems dumb, but depending on the floor plan of the hotel it could just be like separating part of the airport. If work places can dictate to me that I need a flu shot just because they dont want people using their allocated sick days, then surely the health system could hire vaccinated people.

still no sign of the ‘red list’ scomo announced in a thought bubble 2 weeks ago, but go n, deflect and play the man toward anyone not wholly on board the scomo train.

slater should have just rung Dutton or someone, he’d be home already. But don’t criticise the (what was it theyused to call Andrews? ‘Chairman scomo?’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back