Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. North Melbourne, MRVL Sat 08/05 @ 4:35 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really are in a shambles 😂. We have no idea where to play anyone

... but we do know how to play the game.

Or maybe we’ve forgotten? It has been a while since we’ve heard that.

Not really too sure there’ll be too many changes this week. Hopefully Howe getting close to a recall but if not it might be as little as Mayne - Rantall swapping the medical sub. Henry, Wilson, Sier and Cox the other potential inclusions.

Yeah, maybe some consistency would help. Making 4-5 changes a week can’t be good for team cohesion.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Ok this is a very very broad comment, and a little off topic.

Apart from the top the top say 50 absolute elite in the competition, of which we have at least half a dozen in our team - even given the injured.

It is clear that every single AFL listed player is an absolute gun- every single one of them!

My point is, even though we are 17th we are not that, we are certainly most definitely absolutely underperforming.

Yeah everyone bags the Browns, Maynes, Madgens, whoever.

No one bags the Grahams, Bakers, etc. at the premiers, seriously they are not better players. Better utilized no doubt! and that is the slight difference in this competition! Better used!

That is THE slight difference, that club over there is using it's slightly better and definitely better balanced list to advantage. We are wasting ours, that's why it looks so bad.

The competition is so so close, yet we can't see it.

So I ask, IF we were to play to potential - even given our injuries, even given our lack of depth and IF we did not have injuries, could we contend for finals, if not the cup?

If I were to answer, given that every flag team for the last 9 years has NOT had the best, I'd say yes.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clearly no one suggesting Kelly returns watched the VFL, but I’m definitely not as upbeat on Keane. He had another bad one on Saturday and whilst I’m a fan of persisting if the club dropped him I’d say it was fair enough.

I think Keane stays until Howe’s back.

Or we could always bring Madge back in...

Apart from the top the top say 50 absolute elite in the competition, of which we have at least half a dozen in our team - even given the injured.

It is clear that every single AFL listed player is an absolute gun- every single one of them!

My point is, even though we are 17th we are not that, we are certainly most definitely absolutely underperforming.

No one bags the Grahams, Bakers, etc. at the premiers, seriously they are not better players. Better utilized no doubt! and that is the slight difference in this competition! Better used!

That is THE slight difference, that club over there is using it's slightly better and definitely better balanced list to advantage. We are wasting ours, that's why it looks so bad.

So I ask, IF we were to play to potential - even given our injuries, even given our lack of depth and IF we did not have injuries, could we contend for finals, if not the cup?

If I were to answer, given that every flag team for the last 9 years has NOT had the best, I'd say yes.
The malaise in the side stems from the disastrous off season. It is felt by the players and fans alike.

The only remedy is improved on field performance, starting with a big win on Saturday.

Lose to North, and the only cure will be amputation.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I think Keane stays until Howe’s back.

Or we could always bring Madge back in...

I’m not so sure they’re the options myself. I think it’s a three way tustle between Keane, Kelly and Moore to defense. Madge is in trouble because he’s diabolically slow and poor by foot. The club finally cottoned on to him being a terrible option in defense and my guess is he’ll return once a spot on the wing opens up...

The indication I got Saturday was Mayne is keeping Howe’s spot warm and unfortunately there’s every chance he plays up the field once Howe is back (v Sydney I believe).

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

I admire your positivity but feel it is misplaced.

Even if we do still have some top-tier talent, we have by far the longest tail in the comp.

Every team has similar top end talent but they kind of cancel each other out. Occasionally a star player can win a game off his own boot but over the course of a whole season, it’s the quality of and contribution from the bottom and middle tier players that has the biggest impact in determining team success. On that measure we deserve to be at the foot of the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Getting the arse from Collingwood doesn't mean you are no good. Stevo, Treloar, Aish, Phillips and Seedsman say hi.
Yep. Cox is no good. Can't get a kick in the ressies but can tear apart a premiership defense in a preliminary final, kick a bag in a Queens Birthday clash and humiliate the eagles defense in front of 60000 fans. Spud.
😁
None of that is relevant you are picking him on form and his form is putrid

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Maynard needs a change,
Perhaps into the midfield and plays on Cunnington.

Yes in the VFL to get back the attitude and desire required to play AFL footy. At the moment he is dead weight in the backline, and is finding it within himself, to hard to give an effort. For me Maynard is an out this week. Wouldn't mind giving Wilson a go at senior level.
There are a few senior guys who need a kick up the a** at the moment, and Maynard, Thomas, DeGoey and Sidebottom head that list...

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not so sure they’re the options myself. I think it’s a three way tustle between Keane, Kelly and Moore to defense. Madge is in trouble because he’s diabolically slow and poor by foot. The club finally cottoned on to him being a terrible option in defense and my guess is he’ll return once a spot on the wing opens up...

The indication I got Saturday was Mayne is keeping Howe’s spot warm and unfortunately there’s every chance he plays up the field once Howe is back (v Sydney I believe).

Unfortunately we are a couple of years off Murphy and Poulter holding down a wing each, that would help keep Madgen out permanently.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I admire your positivity but feel it is misplaced.

Even if we do still have some top-tier talent, we have by far the longest tail in the comp.

Every team has similar top end talent but they kind of cancel each other out. Occasionally a star player can win a game off his own boot but over the course of a whole season, it’s the quality of and contribution from the bottom and middle tier players that has the biggest impact in determining team success. On that measure we deserve to be at the foot of the ladder.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing, I've put forward a highly unlikely hypothetical, not impossible but highly unlikely.

My point is that we are not using the list we have to potential - far from it, we should not be 17th on the ladder.

Not only are we wasting the list, it seems we are not operating anywhere near potential in administration of the footy department.

Where I do disagree with most, is the so called spuds, like Thomas and or the hyphen have better potential than what they're showing. We've actually seen it.

Getting the absolute best out of them well that's another highly unlikely achievement, not impossible, but highly unlikely.

We didn't go from 13th to almost on the back of list.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I'm not disagreeing, I've put forward a highly unlikely hypothetical, not impossible but highly unlikely.

My point is that we are not using the list we have to potential - far from it, we should not be 17th on the ladder.

Not only are we wasting the list, it seems we are not operating anywhere near potential in administration of the footy department.

Where I do disagree with most, is the so called spuds, like Thomas and or the hyphen have better potential than what they're showing. We've actually seen it.

Getting the absolute best out of them well that's another highly unlikely achievement, not impossible, but highly unlikely.

We didn't go from 13th to almost on the back of list.

Our off-field problems are worse than, and the primary cause of, our on-field woes. Prolonged lousy drafting and player trading, incompetent salary cap management and uninspiring, ultra-conservative coaching have gotten us into this mess. A huge off-field clean-out is required.

I don’t think we’ve hit rock-bottom yet.....but at least it’s now within sight.

Yeah I’m dreading a similar result to that Saturday night game at Marvel a couple of years ago. Even Levi Greenwood looked scared.

I think this time our aim will be to run away from you very fast with the ball rather than into you and take it off you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back