Player Watch Finlay Macrae

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah but chances are that he's not an AFL standard mid yet. Very few arrive in the AFL good enough to play mid and instead need time developing in other roles.

Have I missed something? Isn't wing part of the midfield group?

I'm with Dave. Rantall came to the club as an inside mid with a capacity to run all day. Not sure how he'll develop that playing predominantly an outside role. Rather see him in the guts and Sidey or Pendles moved to a wing.

Have I missed something? Isn't wing part of the midfield group?

I'm with Dave. Kid came to the club as an inside mid with a capacity to run all day. Not sure how he'll develop that playing predominantly an outside role. Rather see him in the guts and Sidey or Pendles moved to a wing.

Starting his career on the wing didn't do Pendles inside mid career any harm.

Most coaches also consider high half forwards and backs as part of the midfield group and they are in terms of transition.

Wingmen get to hone their transition running and also get involved in around the ground stoppages. The difference is that they're not being asked to play the most important roles in the team, generally up against the best and cleverest players in the league.

I'd be surprised if Rantall or Macrae are ready to be competitive inside mids in the AFL, but if we want to get them AFL experience, wing is a better position than most.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
He's a kid TD - remember Ben Johnston? Ordinary kick when he was drafted but a premiership player who ended up with a very effective - if still awkward looking kicking style.

unfortunately poor kicking runs in the family.

he's had a taste. its time for go back to the vfl.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
unfortunately poor kicking runs in the family.

he's had a taste. its time for go back to the vfl.
Well I'm prepared to cut him some slack in the short term but by all means lets cycle through our more prepared recruits and see what we have.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Most coaches also consider high half forwards and backs as part of the midfield group and they are in terms of transition.

Wingmen get to hone their transition running and also get involved in around the ground stoppages. The difference is that they're not being asked to play the most important roles in the team, generally up against the best and cleverest players in the league.

I'd be surprised if Rantall or Macrae are ready to be competitive inside mids in the AFL, but if we want to get them AFL experience, wing is a better position than most.

Pendles always had an inside and outside game. You could see it from day dot in the VFL. While it's only limited viewing, I haven't seen that in Rantall. Time will tell.

Pendles always had an inside and outside game. You could see it from day dot in the VFL. While it's only limited viewing, I haven't seen that in Rantall. Time will tell.
In my mind, there's very few decent mids who don't run to receive it in transition - it's a core part of the role - even Sam Mitchell got the majority of his possessions uncontested. If someone is inside mid only, they need to work on their outside game. Wing would be good for them for that reason too. I just don't see a problem with playing a VFL inside mid on a wing or flank - Thomas, Maynard, Crisp, Cal Brown, would be inside mids if they were VFL listed.

Pendles is lot better user of the Ball than Rantall.

Though would not be Against putting Macare on the Wing

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it is time to start building our next mid group that'll be around for the next 3-5 years at least.

For me that includes

Adams
Daicos x2
Macrae
Mcinnes

And therefore it is time Finlay plays the remaining 5 games on the ball to learn what the standard is and the work-rate required so that he can attack pre season and be ready R1 2022.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it is time to start building our next mid group that'll be around for the next 3-5 years at least.

For me that includes

Adams
Daicos x2
Macrae
Mcinnes

And therefore it is time Finlay plays the remaining 5 games on the ball to learn what the standard is and the work-rate required so that he can attack pre season and be ready R1 2022.

Macrae has had enough exposure (5 games) to understand where he's at and what he needs to do over the off-season.

Be nice if we could get a senior game or 2 into some that are yet to debut. McInnes, Ginnivan, and Johnson would be my 3 priorities. Potentially even McMahon if he gets back from injury.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Hard to know what the kid is good at with the games we’ve seen so far, there has never been a harder time to debut as youngster. Limited prep coming into the AFL and staggered game time with a COVID interrupted VFL…doesn’t help the senior players are atrocious atm.

I am sure he will come good, but not so sure playing him at AFL does his confidence any good if he doesn’t perform and hold his own.

Ugene41

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
How good is he? Yes, quiet after half time... and at times the decision making was raw, and his disposals efficiency was poor...

But moved well, found the ball and for mine he’s showed tonight he’s a prospect

Imagine McRae, Henry, Ruscoe, Poulter, Bianco, McReery etc after 100 games

💯 Seems to be able to read the ball well in stoppages. Really loving our 2020 draft class.

Reef debut soon!

ANewDawn

All Australian
Jun 10, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Racks up touches, very much like his brother. Good one.

Rantall looking like the only one of our last two drafts (who has played) who doesn't look like a hit
Lacks composure with his disposal. Can only hope he will improve with time.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Has no trouble finding the pill, that's for sure. Iron out the rough edges with his disposal, which I have no doubt will be sorted as we get games into him, and we have a little gem on our hands I think

Back