2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids do it all the time in photos now thinking it's the equivalent of doing something like bunny ears, and have for years and years

I doubt knowledge of its other meaning is too widespread yet. Heck Jamaine Jones didn't know. People who are right up to date with current affairs would know but no one else would
I remember this causing some small controversy. Im not saying its right or I agree with it either. Im just pointing out, it was highlighted.

Prime-Minister-wife-White-Power-Feature-Pic.png

gettyimages-1130827382.jpg

I remember this causing some small controversy. Im not saying its right or I agree with it either. Im just pointing out, it was highlighted.

Prime-Minister-wife-White-Power-Feature-Pic.png

gettyimages-1130827382.jpg

i just see this as the circle game, look at the circle get punched in the arm

I didn't know, and I'm now the poorer for knowing
You and me both....I live in Australia/Country Victoria and definitely don't hang out with the woke fraternity and have no interest in their crap..

Wow ... Just - Wow

What an arrogant, conceited, self-applauding, know-all you are. And everyone else is wrong, ignorant and dumb.

I just asked my 16yo intelligent, well-educated son what this means, and put up the (what apparently used to be) "ok" hand signal. He replies "all good, or ok"

I then inverted it and put in on my leg and said what now, and he laughed and said -"good one , ya got me"

I dont think its as well known as YOU in your eminence like to proclaim

Mate - interesting way to massively overreact.

"Things change - and it doesn't mean you're bad if you didn't know, but it's also dumb."

It doesn't mean you're a bad person if you don't know that White Supremicists have been flashing that symbol. But it IS a bit ignorant. It's been VERY widely covered. I personally don't follow closely what kids in school yards are doing, but I do follow things that are covered in the media, as this has been.

It WAS dumb for the WC Eagles players to flash symbols in a photo, even if they were just acting like high schoolers and had no idea of the other meaning.

The meaning of words and symbols change over time. Everyone hears about it at some stage. I just googled it and got 3,590,000,000 references of White Power and okay symbol being discussed online, so I think we can agree it's been pretty widely covered.

I haven't said anyone should be crucified over it - but equally, I haven't called someone "an arrogant, conceited, self-applauding, know-all". Because to do that would be a dickish overreaction.

Maybe a less controversial topic? Bill Gates is getting divorced. $130Billion to be settled.

I guess for two law firms, its going to set up the retirement for the partners of the firm.

I guess he will need to release a new O/S to recoup some funds. Windows 10 is still a glitchy pile of crap, so might not be a bad thing.

Look, I've never heard of some circle game, but the White Power symbol has become very widely known, especially since the Christchurch Mass Shooter flashed it in court. I guess they're just footballers and didn't mean this, but it'd be good to maybe have a chat to them. It looks a bit ignorant.

The news article on Perth Now was the first I've ever heard of it.

Now that's probably because I have less than zero interest in anything political (I wouldn't even be able to explain what right or left wing means without googling), but I'm not sure why some weirdos in the USA doing things suddenly makes something that was fun offensive.

Well I do, it's called 'the past three years'.

That's it. It's actually refreshing to have these young active healthy footballers who don't live on the internet and had no idea about what 'it means'.
I've actually met and had a couple of chats with former Ballarat Rebel Jarmaine Jones back a couple of years when he was playing locally, he's good kid that had a very tough upbringing and came out the other end a very solid citizen.

Maybe this article will enlighten some of the folk.

1620093654865.png

I personally don't follow closely what kids in school yards are doing, but I do follow things that are covered in the media, as this has been.
It's not kids in the school yard

There would barely be a person under 40 in Australia who doesn't know of this game

Which just shows how easy it would be for someone who's not in your circle not to know the other meaning

I've actually met and had a couple of chats with former Ballarat Rebel Jarmaine Jones back a couple of years when he was playing locally, he's good kid that had a very tough upbringing and came out the other end a very solid citizen.

Maybe this article will enlighten some of the folk.

View attachment 1118346
img_0630.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"While the "OK" hand gesture has many long-standing, harmless meanings, it was co-opted as a white supremacist symbol in the late 2010s, including in its emoji form, the OK Hand Sign emoji. One should be mindful of context when deciding to use this gesture and emoji as part of the Circle Game."
At the end of the day it is just a hand gesture. Many gestures have been taken over by different meanings throughout history. Many more people use this particular one as an "okay" signal rather than anything to do with white supremacy, or a circle game. Let the last two fade into obscurity. Interesting fact that not many people are aware of; every Roman Gladiator movie got the thumbs down gesture wrong, it actually meant the opposite.

Anyway, what a joke that port adelaide power mob are.

At the end of the day it is just a hand gesture. Many gestures have been taken over by different meanings throughout history. Many more people use this particular one as an "okay" signal rather than anything to do with white supremacy, or a circle game. Let the last two fade into obscurity. Interesting fact that not many people are aware of; every Roman Gladiator movie got the thumbs down gesture wrong, it actually meant the opposite.

:thumbsu:
:handok:
Bang on.

Mate - interesting way to massively overreact.

"Things change - and it doesn't mean you're bad if you didn't know, but it's also dumb."

It doesn't mean you're a bad person if you don't know that White Supremicists have been flashing that symbol. But it IS a bit ignorant. It's been VERY widely covered. I personally don't follow closely what kids in school yards are doing, but I do follow things that are covered in the media, as this has been.

It WAS dumb for the WC Eagles players to flash symbols in a photo, even if they were just acting like high schoolers and had no idea of the other meaning.

The meaning of words and symbols change over time. Everyone hears about it at some stage. I just googled it and got 3,590,000,000 references of White Power and okay symbol being discussed online, so I think we can agree it's been pretty widely covered.

I haven't said anyone should be crucified over it - but equally, I haven't called someone "an arrogant, conceited, self-applauding, know-all". Because to do that would be a dickish overreaction.
No - just a regular reaction from someone who doesn't label other people ignorant and dumb, just beacuse they aren't on the cutting edge of the latest social justice media circle-jerk.

Interesting fact that not many people are aware of; every Roman Gladiator movie got the thumbs down gesture wrong, it actually meant the opposite.
So thumbs down actually meant let him live?

They prefer to be called Port Power I'm pretty sure

So thumbs down actually meant let him live?

They prefer to be called Port Power I'm pretty sure
Thumbs down is thought to mean put the sword/weapon down.
Yes I know, that is why I like to refer to them as port adelaide power, but never with capitals (Gives them too much credit).

OK what exactly am I looking at?
Ahh. Dave Chappelle 'Black White Supremacist'.

Blind black guy grows up to become a Klan leader in a community that humours him because they feel sorry for him and he doesn't realise he's black.

If you like Dave Chappelle it's one of his best.

The upside down “ok” in photos WAS a game, but for the last 5-10 years, it has been known to be used by white supremacists. We aren’t talking the regular “ok” symbol. I'm not sure how people wouldn’t know this by now there has been so much written about it in the last few years? Regardless of their intention, it is completely juvenile. And speaking of juvenile... yes, how about that Port!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back