Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday May7 2021 7:50 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a classic sydney game style of flood back all the troops then sling shot it. In the end slingshot footy won through precision moving it forward.

The movement with ball in hand on the rebound caused us too much problems. Entries were mostly unpressured and kicked in from that dangerous 60-70m out spot where you can size up options better.
Yes classic Longmire, and we weren’t ready for it. Pretty poor.

Can't agree on that. Prestia, Grimes and Cotchin are three of their most important players. Lambert is more than handy.

We're not at full strength either (obviously), but we'll never get a better chance than this.
dangerfield is our most important player. Martin is there’s and he is playing for them. Oconnor is now on the verge of our top 7 most important players in his new role. Is a massive bolter this year. Dangerfield and oconnor is not that much below Prestia and grimes. Cotchin is barely more important then higgins. Not a key for them anymore.

Looking at that, yep, I stand by what I said. Their outs are clearly worse. Miers and O’Connor handy, but they aren’t Cotchin or Prestia..

I’m lead to believe Higgins will play. Kolo might too. You have listed several of our guys who might yet play. I’ve listed confirmed Tigers outs and they are massive IMO. Grimes out with Cameron, Hawk and Rohan is very bad for them
and you ignored our best player being out because? Dangerfield is better then both grimes and Prestia.

and you say clearly worse?

dangerfield + oconnor = Prestia and grimes
higgins and miers = cotchin (I’m probably overstating the value of Cotchin here)

so the difference is lambert. Lambert is a clearly worse difference?

You are surely having a lend.
Fair bit of irrational richmond love going on at this moment on this board. This season:

selwood averaging 25 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5.4 tackles, 4.6 clearances.

cotchin averaging 20 disposals, 10.5 contested, 2.5 tackles, 3.6 clearances.

geelong fan- Cotchin gone past Selwood for toughness.

On Enright...we have no idea from the outside whether he is a good forward coach or not, BUT it does amuse me that we have a side full of defenders and the forward coach is a ex-defender. Maybe too much defensive mindset? :)
Same. I have no idea how coaching works and I absolutely love Boris! But .. maybe my favourite ex-defender is not working as the forward coach. It hurts to even type that.

Speaking of coaches, I really, really do not like Matthew Knights as our midfield coach.

Didn't Collingwood hire Justin Longmuir after their review and he helped them to within a kick of a premiership? I'm inclined to think Chris Scott would be much better served if we changed up our assistant coaches. I don't want to see the Tom and Jerry show waisted by poor coaching. This year our midfield-forward connection has been beyond terrible besides that glorious West Coast game.

I think Kolo in this game is actually a considerable out for you guys over the others. Particularly because he does such a good job on Riewoldt generally.
Kolodjashnij is helps you guys.

Fair bit of irrational richmond love going on at this moment on this board. This season:

selwood averaging 25 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5.4 tackles, 4.6 clearances.

cotchin averaging 20 disposals, 10.5 contested, 2.5 tackles, 3.6 clearances.

geelong fan- Cotchin gone past Selwood for toughness.
3 X premiership captain and the influence he has had as captain probably sways it Cotchin’s way. He really gets down nice and low and batters in and has changed his game in the premiership years. He sacrifices so much for the team. Obviously I won’t win the argument on this board.

3 X premiership captain and the influence he has had as captain probably sways it Cotchin’s way. He really gets down nice and low and batters in and has changed his game in the premiership years. He sacrifices so much for the team. Obviously I won’t win the argument on this board.
if you speak to richmond supporters they say Cotchin hasn’t been a key player for years.

and what has premiership captain label got to do with anything? the premierships are won by the 22 players and coaches. The captain label is largely irrelevant. leadership groups set leadership norms within the player group. The captain label is basically just for the media now.

We lost the game because of our kicking. 5 times we kicked a behind and they rebounded and goaled, that’s the ballgame right their, we lost by 2 points. Obviously need to work out how we can defend the kick in and lock the ball inside our forward 50.
But please for the love of everything Holy can we kick straight against Richmond for once!
This is true. And not just the shots on goal, but there were heaps of passes that either went over the head or dropped short of leading targets. The opportunities were there, we just fell at the last hurdle. It's easy to fix.

I also feel that our second game in with our new forward set up probably has them working a little bit out of sync as well. It wasn't a huge problem with the lack of two way running on our home pitch against West Coast, but when you have ten to fifteen Swans players in our fifty arc your leading patterns have to be spot on.

It's nowhere near the end of the world and we should have a real crack at Richmond. Richmond's form against Sydney and Melbourne provide a good gauge of where they are tracking. Like us, the engine needs a bit of oil.

Not all on the opposition. Where are they having their set shots? Is the defensive pressure hot enough? I mean McLean took a few marks in the goal square basically. Not good enough.
Well I don't think any game is free of a few easy goals, we had a few ourselves early. Of course we could have done better, but really, remove the couple of soft goals against Clark (which were nothing the rest of the team could influence) and add a few of our simple misses and we win by 20-30 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David king talking about the cats cage.

The Cats forced Sydney out of the corrdidor and down the line often on Saturday night, in a move that backfired slightly.

"There’s a big void of space corridor side of the man of the mark that everyone's trying to kick the ball into," King said.

"Chris Scott employed an extra player to defend that area, I haven’t seen it before.

"Chris (Scott) is always first with trying something.

"Gryan Miers was in a space where you think ‘what’s he doing there,’ but no one ran into that area to take because it’s covered. He forced them down the line, and they’ll get better at defending that. They had a bad night."

Miers out would/will be huge. He is unique with his unpredictable kicking and he also covers an extraordinary amount of ground to present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And he's probably the one bloke in the forward line currently I'd trust with a setshot within 40 metres. Cameron has been fine too, but the rest, sheesh. Even Rohan is normally reliable, but after his rundown tackle he fluffed one late as well.

I think Kolo in this game is actually a considerable out for you guys over the others. Particularly because he does such a good job on Riewoldt generally.

I agree re Kolo

Just a question re Richmonds defence - i only watch bits and pieces of games - however i did watch the whole Melb v Rich game

Now looking at Rich defence ( and Grimes is a huge out ) now Vaustin and Houli are both excellent on the half back - and give plenty of rebound and run

Broad is a good player -very reliable - and ive been surprised hes got dropped for the odd game in seasons past

Balta was a revelation last year as a key defender - hes still going allright - probably not at last years level

However the one player in that top notch Rich defence who didnt impress me against Melb was Astbury - who is 30 - so how has he been playing this year ?

I agree re Kolo

Just a question re Richmonds defence - i only watch bits and pieces of games - however i did watch the whole Melb v Rich game

Now looking at Rich defence ( and Grimes is a huge out ) now Vaustin and Houli are both excellent on the half back - and give plenty of rebound and run

Broad is a good player -very reliable - and ive been surprised hes got dropped for the odd game in seasons past

Balta was a revelation last year as a key defender - hes still going allright - probably not at last years level

However the one player in that top notch Rich defence who didnt impress me against Melb was Astbury - who is 30 - so how has he been playing this year ?

Astbury has been down this year but I think he has enough credits in the bank to warrant selection. We don't really have anyone else who can play a similar role either besides potentially Garthwaite/Ben Miller who are either injured or just not good enough at this stage.

Hi. I am not a club member but want to buy tickets to this Fridays game. I waited until 1pm today for the Club Members and Public Reserve tickets to open, which they have but it wont unlock tickets unless i have a club member number. Why does it say public reserve if you must be a member? A bit confused why they have them together but clearly I can't buy yet.

Same. I have no idea how coaching works and I absolutely love Boris! But .. maybe my favourite ex-defender is not working as the forward coach. It hurts to even type that.

Speaking of coaches, I really, really do not like Matthew Knights as our midfield coach.

Didn't Collingwood hire Justin Longmuir after their review and he helped them to within a kick of a premiership? I'm inclined to think Chris Scott would be much better served if we changed up our assistant coaches. I don't want to see the Tom and Jerry show waisted by poor coaching. This year our midfield-forward connection has been beyond terrible besides that glorious West Coast game.
Too much buddy love with our coaches..
Since, on paper we do (reasonably and statistically) well season to season there isnt enough pressure for change.

if you speak to richmond supporters they say Cotchin hasn’t been a key player for years.

and what has premiership captain label got to do with anything? the premierships are won by the 22 players and coaches. The captain label is largely irrelevant. leadership groups set leadership norms within the player group. The captain label is basically just for the media now.

Not sure which "richmond supporters" you've apparently spoken to, but they sound clueless.

Cotchin is extremely important, you only need to watch the second half of last week to see it. Throws his body at everything and brings the heat betrer than anyone.

Clueless if you think him being out means nothing.

Not sure which "richmond supporters" you've apparently spoken to, but they sound clueless.

Cotchin is extremely important, you only need to watch the second half of last week to see it. Throws his body at everything and brings the heat betrer than anyone.

Clueless if you think him being out means nothing.

Completely agree. He’s a gun and the team will be poorer for his absence. Anyone who thinks that Cotchin is still not a quality player is living in fantasy land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back