List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts at this stage:

Grant Birchall - retire
Lincoln McCarthy - extend for a couple but on better money. With his injury history you would think more than that is too much.
Jarryd Lyons - extend for a couple.
Tom Fullarton - extend for a couple on minimum
Connor McFadyen - wait and see. Maybe rookie him if he is looking okay but I think he is likely gone.
Rhys Mathieson - don't mind keeping him as a team man who can play when needed and provides a mature body in the reserves.
Archie Smith - if they can get someone with more upside grab them and delist Archie otherwise another year on the rookie list.
Connor Ballenden - if he keeps playing as he has someone will be interested. I would certainly extend him if we can
Thomas Joyce - likely gone unless he really improves.
James Madden - extend for a year or two
Mitch Robinson - one year deal if he wants to keep going.
Brock Smith - needs to show more.
Keidean Coleman - extend for three
Carter Michael - sign for another year on the rookie list.
Linc's "injury history" shouldn't factor into any contract length decisions IMO, it's ancient history in footy terms, has played 48 out of a possible 50 games since coming to us.

Agree with the rest of your summation.

Kind of my point. Doubt we’d have to offer him much to pry him from a club willing to give him away for free

But it’s the other way around, we offered him the coin, he then approached the Suns list management team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting discrepancy. He was definitely reported as a four year contract when he signed and again in 2019. Wonder if it was actually a three year with a games trigger for a fourth year that he can no longer meet.

You wonder where journos pull those contract figures from

I was reading through Lyons player thread and noticed this bit in an article from 2020. Looks like we've lined him up for 1 year contracts already. Would be nice to top it up with an extra year.

"
Finally Lyons is where he always dreamt he might be with his AFL career, playing consistent footy at a successful club and with a contract for next season.

A trigger clause he will tick off midway through next season will hand him an extension to 2022.

But more to the point, he is in a side capable of something special. "

Reminds me of Tim Notting + Jodie Henry. I wonder if Tim's still involved with club in some capacity. Couple of likely academy father sons there too :)
Would be pretty funny if they produced a couple of gumby, fumbling kids wouldn't it. "Mummy and Daddy love you so much, second last in your class is still a fantastic effort buddy", consoles Tim while looking at Jodie and mouthing WTF?

Would be pretty funny if they produced a couple of gumby, fumbling kids wouldn't it. "Mummy and Daddy love you so much, second last in your class is still a fantastic effort buddy", consoles Tim while looking at Jodie and mouthing WTF?
Jodie would nod and say, “your side of the family obviously.” It’s what I always do!

Looking at the players OOC for us in 2021, I think something like this looks reasonable in what's going to happen regarding contracts so far this season:

Grant Birchall (Retire)
Lincoln McCarthy (3 year contract)
Jarryd Lyons (3 year contract)
Tom Fullarton (2 year contract)
Connor McFadyen (Rookie)
Rhys Mathieson (Delisted/Traded)
Archie Smith (Delisted/Traded)
Dayne Zorko (2 year contract)
Connor Ballenden (Delisted/Traded)
Thomas Joyce (Rookie)
James Madden (Rookie)
Mitch Robinson (1 year contract)
Brock Smith (Rookie)
Keidean Coleman (2 year contract)
Carter Michael (Rookie)

As well as that, the club might want to trade someone like Ely Smith this year (OOC 2022) for trade or draft currency if they feel like he isn't part of the club's plans in the future.

What would be fair for Eli Smith? 3rd or 4th rounder?

And no Oscar Allen isnt interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t be retiring off Grant Birchall the way he is playing atm. Worse case scenario he provides great depth next year.
Yer I've been pleasantly surprised with Birchall over the last few games(I was calling for him to be dropped before then), if he can maintain that form and remain injury free he'll get another year if he wants it.

Although IMO if we win the flag this year with him in the team I think he'll retire on that note with 5 flags.

i said this a few times about Birchall lost 3 years of footy.
Body not bashed around for 3 years would help. No idea once you hit 30 your gone.
For those who use speed as a weapon I agree once they slow down, then weapons gone.
Guys who never super fast slow down less.

He needed time to build fitness.. I agree struggled at times last year although had a pre season for probably first time for years
I be happy for him to go around again.

i said this a few times about Birchall lost 3 years of footy.
Body not bashed around for 3 years would help. No idea once you hit 30 your gone.
For those who use speed as a weapon I agree once they slow down, then weapons gone.
Guys who never super fast slow down less.

He needed time to build fitness.. I agree struggled at times last year although had a pre season for probably first time for years
I be happy for him to go around again.
I was vocal during the pre-season, saying that I was hopeful that he would be overtaken as this year progressed. Unlikely that is going to happen but with other injuries it is great to see others given a bit of a shot, so for when he does decide his time is up others will be ready.

Might depend how we rate our other defenders or who we may be able to attract from other clubs.

Might depend how we rate our other defenders or who we may be able to attract from other clubs.
It's a hard one when we have a few young guys jockeying for that position when he's obviously better but near the end.

I guess we'll assess where he's at at season's end if he doesn't want to retire. Right now he's a good player ,valuable to the team.

Depends on what you consider big money?
300k for me is massive money and I am sure he is on more than that.

Given the context of AFL players, $300k is less than their average wage so shouldn't be considered massive money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back