Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

I do love when random accounts pop up posting aggressively. Who’s alt account are you I wonder?
I love it even more when they are banned after a couple of days. There's one Doggies supporter who has been through half a dozen alts at this point. Reflect poorly on all of us dogs fans.

If you watched us vs port you know that we need one. Our midfield was bullied into submission.
That loss had more to do with the overall experience of a vast majority of the team + more than just the midfield being bullied, don't think the sole fix is bringing in one big-bodied mid. Not suggesting that was your only assessment, but I think if our mids had more experience in comparison to what Port have it may have been a different circumstance. Throw in the notion of a new gameplan we're trying to establish too + there still being a need for our mids to synergize in real game time with Draper more, that's a factor in it all too. We're also talking about Port Adelaide here, Ess & Port are miles apart in terms of where they are with their lists.

Perhaps its the outside looking in perspective, but if the options are keep Dunkley or Libba + Duryea, i'd go Dunkley.
This isn't just because I'm an Ess supporter & am hoping Dunkley still wants to come over but from what I've read and listening to others the general consensus around who ranks where in terms of Dogs mids is that Libba's value is greater than Dunkley's even though Dunkley's stats are bigger. Both Libba and Dunkley are contested beasts, but Libba brings something a little more than Dunkley especially now that Libba has gotten fitter/body right. Remember hearing some folks talk about his impact on the game and they brought up this point his impact around CC's is just second to arguably none in that midfield bar maybe Macrae & Bont.

That loss had more to do with the overall experience of a vast majority of the team + more than just the midfield being bullied, don't think the sole fix is bringing in one big-bodied mid. Not suggesting that was your only assessment, but I think if our mids had more experience in comparison to what Port have it may have been a different circumstance. Throw in the notion of a new gameplan we're trying to establish too + there still being a need for our mids to synergize in real game time with Draper more, that's a factor in it all too. We're also talking about Port Adelaide here, Ess & Port are miles apart in terms of where they are with their lists.

Not the sole reason, but it hard a part to play. Mitch Hibberd coulda been handy

Not the sole reason, but it hard a part to play. Mitch Hibberd coulda been handy
Hahaha, I'd have MUCH preferred the mids we went in with play than have played him. Didn't look upto it. Just looked like a case of our mids not having enough experience to perform against Port who are obviously miles ahead in experience as a midfield group.

This isn't just because I'm an Ess supporter & am hoping Dunkley still wants to come over but from what I've read and listening to others the general consensus around who ranks where in terms of Dogs mids is that Libba's value is greater than Dunkley's even though Dunkley's stats are bigger. Both Libba and Dunkley are contested beasts, but Libba brings something a little more than Dunkley especially now that Libba has gotten fitter/body right. Remember hearing some folks talk about his impact on the game and they brought up this point his impact around CC's is just second to arguably none in that midfield bar maybe Macrae & Bont.
Libba
#1 in the AFL for clearances
#4 in the AFL for pressure acts
#6 in the AFL for contested possessions
#8 in the AFL for tackles

Libba
#1 in our hearts for taunting the living s**t out of the walking whack-attack that is Heath Shaw.

Libba
Honestly, he is truly one the most underrated players in the comp. Don't think he gets nearly enough recognition or publicity/media attention around his impact as the likes of Bont, Dunkley, Macrae, and now throw in Trealor & Smith. He's a no glitz/glamour kind of player and I think that plays a large factor in why externally/around the league he doesn't get talked about in the same way. Just my observation though!

Libba

Libba is very good, also coming off contract soon.

Dunkley might be the one you need to lose in order to be able to sign up everyone else?

I just do not see how the dogs can sign all their players coming out of contract without something giving way. As good as Sam Power is and all, just don't see how its possible.

Last edited:
Libba is very good, also coming off contract soon.

Dunkley might be the one you need to lose in order to be able to sign up everyone else?

I just do not see how the dogs can sign all their players coming out of contract without something giving way. As good as Sam Power is and all, just don't see how its possible.

Same as most premiership teams have done, by players agreeing to sign for unders to keep the group together.

Same as most premiership teams have done, by players agreeing to sign for unders to keep the group together.

true.

But the shear amount of players coming off contract around the same time is amazing. Look at the guys in 2021 & 2022. Crazy.

There's like 6 guys out of the entire squad that are contracted past 2022.

Guys like English, Dunkley and Baily-Smith will want pretty juicy contract extensions.

Will be a super effort from Sam Power to keep everyone.

1620086999834.png

true.

But the shear amount of players coming off contract around the same time is amazing. Look at the guys in 2021 & 2022. Crazy

Guys like English, Dunkley and Baily-Smith will want pretty juicy contract extensions.

View attachment 1118286

I'd think a lot of clubs might have lists like that after last season, they'd have been reticent to go too early on re-signing guys. A lot of those names are pretty low salary or delistings. Just depends whether the bigger names are happy to take a bit less to stay together, or whether they do what Collingwood / GWS did and sign the big names to big dollars, and end up with an imbalanced list.

I'd think a lot of clubs might have lists like that after last season, they'd have been reticent to go too early on re-signing guys. A lot of those names are pretty low salary or delistings. Just depends whether the bigger names are happy to take a bit less to stay together, or whether they do what Collingwood / GWS did and sign the big names to big dollars, and end up with an imbalanced list.

I had a quick look and most of the premiership contenders teams (Port, Melbourne etc) are a bit more spread out then the dogs is.

I could be over thinking it though mind you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a quick look and most of the premiership contenders teams (Port, Melbourne etc) are a bit more spread out then the dogs is.

I could be over thinking it though mind you.

They generally get this stuff sorted pretty comfortably before the end of the season, if I was a Bulldogs supporter I wouldn't be too worried. Most of those guys would likely take a little under market value to stay given their good form at present.

true.

But the shear amount of players coming off contract around the same time is amazing. Look at the guys in 2021 & 2022. Crazy.

There's like 6 guys out of the entire squad that are contracted past 2022.

Will be a super effort from Sam Power to keep everyone.

View attachment 1118286
2021 players, and where they're playing:
Cavarra (VFL)
Khamis (VFL)
Weightman (VFL)
Richards (VFL/Injured)
Sweet (VFL)
McNeil (VFL/AFL - on the fringes)
Vandermeer (AFL/Injured)
Young (VFL)
Jong (VFL/Injured)
Butler (VFL)
Bontempelli (AFL)
Wallis (VFL)
Lipinski (VFL/AFL - on the fringes)
Garcia (VFL)
Smith (VFL)
Gardner (Injured)
Duryea (AFL)
Liberatore (AFL)
Hayes (VFL)
Cordy (VFL, got one AFL chance and ****ed it)

So of the 2021 OOC players, most are VFL level players right now. Maybe 8 of those are must-keeps (Bontempelli, Sweet, McNeil, Vandermeer, Garcia, Gardner, Duryea, Liberatore). The other 12 are either depth players, potential trade bait, or delist material.

There's a fair few good 2022 OOC players in that list, but that's pretty normal for most clubs.

Cavarra (VFL)
Khamis (VFL)
Weightman (VFL)
Richards (VFL/Injured)
Sweet (VFL)
Vandermeer (AFL/Injured)
Young (VFL)
Jong (VFL/Injured)
Butler (VFL)
Bontempelli (AFL)
Wallis (VFL)
Garcia (VFL)
Smith (VFL)
Gardner (Injured)
Duryea (AFL)
Liberatore (AFL)
Hayes (VFL)
Cordy (VFL, got one AFL chance and f’ed it)

So of the 2021 OOC players, most are VFL level players right now. Maybe 8 of those are must-keeps (Bontempelli, Sweet, McNeil, Vandermeer, Garcia, Gardner, Duryea, Liberatore). The other 12 are either depth players, potential trade bait, or delist material.

There's a fair few good 2022 OOC players in that list, but that's pretty normal for most clubs.

I think you have just proven my point? Sam power is good though so i'm sure i wouldn't doubt him.

So i guess i agree with you.

I think you have just proven my point? Sam power is good though so i'm sure i wouldn't doubt him.

So i guess i agree with you.
Yeah wasn't disagreeing, more just adding to what you said. We've got a lot of OOC over the next year or two, but nothing of major concern this year. Really depends on how much money some of these guys ask for - players like Keath and English could ask for well over market value purely because of our current list profile, which would affect our ability to retain players.

Yeah wasn't disagreeing, more just adding to what you said. We've got a lot of OOC over the next year or two, but nothing of major concern this year. Really depends on how much money some of these guys ask for - players like Keath and English could ask for well over market value purely because of our current list profile, which would affect our ability to retain players.

The danger ones for me are Dunkley, Baily Smith and English.

They will demand significant salary increases when they come off so as long as your forecast that then the rest is just fodder.

Cavarra (VFL)
Khamis (VFL)
Weightman (VFL)
Richards (VFL/Injured)
Sweet (VFL)
Vandermeer (AFL/Injured)
Young (VFL)
Jong (VFL/Injured)
Butler (VFL)
Bontempelli (AFL)
Wallis (VFL)
Garcia (VFL)
Smith (VFL)
Gardner (Injured)
Duryea (AFL)
Liberatore (AFL)
Hayes (VFL)
Cordy (VFL, got one AFL chance and f’ed it)

Weightman , Khamis is not trade bait or delist material

Weightman is not trade bait or delist material
I also mentioned depth, which is what I'd consider him at the moment. We're developing him, and I wouldn't be letting him go any time soon, but I would expect he doesn't ask for any significant salary increase. Same as Khamis and Butler who I rate as potential future best 22 players, but are not quite there yet, but also wouldn't be trading them

Sounds like Dunkley will be signing on, Liberatore deal isn't far away either.

Nice work dogs. Talent spewing out their ass at the moment. A pick 1 KPF who can't get a game. Another top draft pick incoming with Sam Darcy as father son. Alot of midfield/forward depth with a successful 2s side putting constant pressure on 1s.

Not sure why you'd want to leave unless it was for money.

Nice work dogs. Talent spewing out their ass at the moment. A pick 1 KPF who can't get a game. Another top draft pick incoming with Sam Darcy as father son. Alot of midfield/forward depth with a successful 2s side putting constant pressure on 1s.

Not sure why you'd want to leave unless it was for money.
Turns out you already had another gun midfielder in Parish anyway. Better late than never but seems you’ve wasted the last couple of years of him.

Turns out you already had another gun midfielder in Parish anyway. Better late than never but seems you’ve wasted the last couple of years of him.

Blame worsfold for that. We've been calling for it for years.

Need to focus on securing his signature now.

Blame worsfold for that. We've been calling for it for years.

Need to focus on securing his signature now.
Like the look of your young draft picks coming through and the style of footy this year. Exciting times for bomber fans watching them come through the next few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back