Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to see Mitchell start off the half back line at some point- that way if the oppo get the clearance our interceptors have a piggie at their feet if the ball goes to ground, and his ability to shovel out to players in space can help set up our rebounds.
Only problem is we are loaded in this part of the ground. That’s with players out injured.

I think HFF is his go, he knows how to get involved and stay involved. Gets him to work on his ball use and creativity. Something that’s been lacking since the leg. Also covers an area we are weak on the ground.

His lack of defensive pressure won’t hurt as much. Plus his running power will let him cover lots of ground.

Only problem is we are loaded in this part of the ground. That’s with players out injured.

I think HFF is his go, he knows how to get involved and stay involved. Gets him to work on his ball use and creativity. Something that’s been lacking since the leg. Also covers an area we are weak on the ground.

His lack of defensive pressure won’t hurt as much. Plus his running power will let him cover lots of ground.

We are loaded with:
one pace mids
tall forwards - incl Nash
half back flankers who are doing well

We could send Impey to the Forward 50 (or rotate him more in the mid like on Sat) or send cj to a wing or forward 50 (he was a forward in his juniors). I have sympathy for Clarkson - we don't have the puzzle pieces at Box Hill to resolve our problems.

But I'm okay with this year being more about opportunity than about trying to control the score board - for example, give Nash a string of games - he earns them at Box Hill, give Reeves some games - he earns them at Box Hill.

Last edited:
If we want a forward like of jeka, kozi and Lewis we might need to play Gunston down back/wing and rotate with cj who I think will benefit having more space on the wing and seems to find targets up foward, opposition's seem to drag cj away from the ball which is not ideal.Would be nice to see Impey play 60% back 40% forward chad to play majority in the mid and maybe Mitchell to have small stints in the forward line. Brockman has to be in this week.

I'm having nightmares about nic Nat already!!

Do MCC and AFL members get to reserve tickets prior to club members? Checked before and I can't get a ticket until 1pm. Would have thought club members would be first in line.

Monday 9am: MCC Members (MCG only)

Tuesday 10am: AFL Members

Priority 1: from 10am

Tuesday 1pm: Home Members
Priority 1: from 1pm
Priority 2: from 3pm
Priority 3: from 5pm
Off-sale 9am Wednesday

Wednesday 10am: Away Members
Off-sale 12pm Wednesday

Wednesday 1pm: General Public (subject to availability)

Monday 9am: MCC Members (MCG only)

Tuesday 10am: AFL Members

Priority 1: from 10am

Tuesday 1pm: Home Members
Priority 1: from 1pm
Priority 2: from 3pm
Priority 3: from 5pm
Off-sale 9am Wednesday

Wednesday 10am: Away Members
Off-sale 12pm Wednesday

Wednesday 1pm: General Public (subject to availability)
I wouldn't be too concerned about getting tickets to this game. Eagles fans from WA probably not travelling and Hawks fans either doing mother's Day things or not interested in watching us get thrashed again, or both.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting tickets to this game. Eagles fans from WA probably not travelling and Hawks fans either doing mother's Day things or not interested in watching us get thrashed again, or both.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
They couldn't give them away fast enough with the whole 'bring a friend for free, per ticket, regardless of category'. I think they know it's going to be empty as buggery.
Loved being able to actually select the bay this time around as some prefer certain stands to others / room availability.

I am just going to leave you with this thought about playing the kids and getting more kids into the side.

What do you think Jeka got out of the game he just played?

It would have been better if we were more competitive and we were actually able to have him compete for the ball more.
Yes he led a lot of the game but the way we were struggling in the middle of the ground and with our structures especially early in the game meant it was going to be a real up hill battle.

Unfortunately we did not have the cattle on the field to do anything about it. The best way for kids to learn is to have them come into a system that allows them to be useful participant. Playing all the kids just won't allow that. You end having players who go backwards in their development.

The older players that are playing in our side are there for a reason. They may not be part of the side going forward but they fulfil a role for the kids in the side that will be. Some kids need more development than others. Hence Will day is a walk up start. We just do not have the talent of Will Days on our list.

If you are ready you will come in
It’s bloody obvious TFP

That said, it’s good to have some class in the middle always and that’s why I was okay with selling the farm for Jaegar and getting Tom in so we could win it enough to kick it to baby forwards etc

I am just going to leave you with this thought about playing the kids and getting more kids into the side.

What do you think Jeka got out of the game he just played?

It would have been better if we were more competitive and we were actually able to have him compete for the ball more.
Yes he led a lot of the game but the way we were struggling in the middle of the ground and with our structures especially early in the game meant it was going to be a real up hill battle.

Unfortunately we did not have the cattle on the field to do anything about it. The best way for kids to learn is to have them come into a system that allows them to be useful participant. Playing all the kids just won't allow that. You end having players who go backwards in their development.

The older players that are playing in our side are there for a reason. They may not be part of the side going forward but they fulfil a role for the kids in the side that will be. Some kids need more development than others. Hence Will day is a walk up start. We just do not have the talent of Will Days on our list.

If you are ready you will come in

I’d like the order players to play not in key roles but support roles keep the key roles for the kids to learn.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny ordering tickets this week as you select the "bring a friend free" it asks for their name and number before you can checkout

It allows you to put your own in and the tickets are transferable anyway seems a silly step

I’d like the order players to play not in key roles but support roles keep the key roles for the kids to learn.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”
The senior players are there to carry the load so the younger players can find their feet. It works like that in any job. Udont have the youngens thrown in the deepend. No job has that

Got tix 9 rows away from my actual reserved seats... getting back there slowly can't wait for another trip to the G. Result, don't really care as long as the kids are having a crack

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Seamus mitchell still indefinite, must’ve been an extremely bad ankle injury, he’s been out since late last year. Makes you wonder if we underestimated how bad his injury was
it’s no longer an ankle complaint, but a soft tissue injury. They won’t rush him.

Seamus mitchell still indefinite, must’ve been an extremely bad ankle injury, he’s been out since late last year. Makes you wonder if we underestimated how bad his injury was

No rush. Christian Petracca did his ACL in his first pre-season and didn't play a game until his second year in the system. I'm not even sure if people remember that even happening considering the player he's become.

Funny ordering tickets this week as you select the "bring a friend free" it asks for their name and number before you can checkout

It allows you to put your own in and the tickets are transferable anyway seems a silly step
They couldn't give them away fast enough with the whole 'bring a friend for free, per ticket, regardless of category'. I think they know it's going to be empty as buggery.
Loved being able to actually select the bay this time around as some prefer certain stands to others / room availability.
How do you get access to the bring a friend for free?
Did it appear as an option after entering your barcode?

I think Cousins and Finn must play to help the midfield we need to make a decision on them based on afl experience. It's so hard to pick a 22 the only way I could include Reeves and the skipper was to play him down back and drop Hartigan or Tob. I want youth in unless the team is in red hot form or in a strong era. A Bottom 4 side blokes like Downie,Brockman should feature.

FB:Shiels,Mcevoy,Hardwick
HB:Scrimshaw,Frost,Jiath
W:Impey,Jaeger,Cousins
HF:Bruest,Gunston,Wingard
FF:Brockman,Kosi,Jeka
R:Reeves,Mitchell,Worpel
I: Finn,Morrison,Lewis,Tob
E: Moore,Phillips,Hartigan,Downie

Changes
In Jaeger,Wingard,Downie
Out Moore,Phillips,Hanrahan,Hartigan

Last edited:
I think Cousins and Finn must play to help the midfield we need to make a decision on them based on afl experience. It's so hard to pick a 22 the only way I could include Reeves and the skipper was to play him down back and drop Hartigan or Tob. I want youth in unless the team is in red hot form or in a strong era. A Bottom 4 side blokes like Downie,Brockman should feature.

FB:Shiels,Mcevoy,Hardwick
HB:Scrimshaw,Frost,Jiath
W:Impey,Jaeger,Cousins
HF:Bruest,Gunston,Wingard
FF:Brockman,Kosi,Jeka
R:Reeves,Mitchell,Worpel
I: Finn,Morrison,Lewis,Tob
E: Moore,Phillips,Hartigan,Downie

Changes
In Jaeger,Wingard,Downie
Out Moore,Phillips,Hanrahan,Hartigan
Switch out TOB for Moore and I’m in total agreement with this lineup. Good job 👍🏽

yeah after using the barcode and then selecting the ticket. it was the last option - friend for free
Thanks, nothing comes up for me, likely because it's an AFL Membership. It lets me get a free seat (or pay for upgrade) the same as a Hawks General Admission member in that part of the ground but looks like we don't get the friend for free option.

I'm really not sure how we play all of Gunston, Kosi, Jeka and Lewis forward. All but Lewis are pretty mobile for a tall forward, but the manner in which the ball bounced out of our forward half was alarming against the Saints. With that said, we simply have to persist this week with all of Kosi, Lewis and Jeka forward. One game would be a waste.

Given we are conceding a league worst 16 marks inside our defensive 50 per game, yes lots is down to our up-field pressure, we should play Gunston back this week. O'Brien out.

Brockman to come in for Hanrahan. It's pretty evident he has a really bright future, and Oli just seems unlikely to make it imo. He is still fumbling and making the same mistakes year in, year out.

Cousins is putting forward a fair case to say he has gone past Shiels, and Maginness needs to keep getting games.

In: O'Meara, Wingard and Brockman

Out: O'Brien, Hanrahan and Shiels
Gunston is horrible as a one on one defender. He plays the lose man well, but is not a defender.
Like it or not, TOB, Hartigan and Frost are our three best options for their talls. Probably the worst trio of KPDs in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back