Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Was Listening to the SEN Coverage of the
Draft and Good Question Came up about Poulter.

Why did Crows Pick Berry instead of Poulter when there 1st 3 Picks where from SA but went Vic Kid over Him?
Crows were probably intimidated by his glorious mullet

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was Listening to the SEN Coverage of the
Draft and Good Question Came up about Poulter.

Why did Crows Pick Berry instead of Poulter when there 1st 3 Picks where from SA but went Vic Kid over Him?

They went JUH with their 1st pick so I’d assume it was more about best available.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Great prospect, tough going though for all players let alone under nourished and under prepared rookies in our team at the moment. I’d give him another game, as long as he’s not beaten like Rantall and Macrae I think there is value for development.

Great prospect, tough going though for all players let alone under nourished and under prepared rookies in our team at the moment. I’d give him another game, as long as he’s not beaten like Rantall and Macrae I think there is value for development.
Playing on the wing probably easier than playing in our forward line as a mid right now..

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
While not elite, I think he has good pace, just lacking explosiveness at the moment. That may improve with time and conditioning.
It’s interesting because in his VFL games he looked quick breaking through lines and streaming forward.

Maybe confidence in his first game or stamina lacking, which incidentally seems to be a general issue with the team.

We seem to be getting over-run late in the game.

Playing on the wing probably easier than playing in our forward line as a mid right now..
Yeah I'm hoping that we use one wing for him and one for another developing mid - be it Macrae, Rantall or Bianco. Ideal spot for a kid to get a few kicks and feel like he belongs.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I'm hoping that we use one wing for him and one for another developing mid - be it Macrae, Rantall or Bianco. Ideal spot for a kid to get a few kicks and feel like he belongs.
Bianco is one that I am keen to see back on the park, had an extra year around the Club, uses the ball well, he's a bit of an unknown and could add some value.

Whilst I don't like where the Club sits from a win loss perspective, getting games into guys like Poulter, Bianco, Macrae, Henry, Kelly is an opportunity we should make the most of. We still need to do it with a view on producing a high level of football.

If Murphy isn't a best 22 lock before the end of the year, I'll spew.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bianco is one that I am keen to see back on the park, had an extra year around the Club, uses the ball well, he's a bit of an unknown and could add some value.

Whilst I don't like where the Club sits from a win loss perspective, getting games into guys like Poulter, Bianco, Macrae, Henry, Kelly is an opportunity we should make the most of. We still need to do it with a view on producing a high level of football.

If Murphy isn't a best 22 lock before the end of the year, I'll spew.

At the very least, Murphy should be playing every game that Howe doesn't. When Howe comes back it will be interesting, as the backline is probably the only area we are somewhat set with good emerging kids playing in genuinely best 22 roles (Quaynor, Noble, Maynard) alongside Howe and Crisp as non-KPs. None of these names are getting dropped for Murphy from the best 22.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
At the very least, Murphy should be playing every game that Howe doesn't. When Howe comes back it will be interesting, as the backline is probably the only area we are somewhat set with good emerging kids playing in genuinely best 22 roles (Quaynor, Noble, Maynard) alongside Howe and Crisp as non-KPs. None of these names are getting dropped for Murphy from the best 22.
I’d have Murphy over Noble atm and would move him to CHB when Howe comes back.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s interesting because in his VFL games he looked quick breaking through lines and streaming forward.

Maybe confidence in his first game or stamina lacking, which incidentally seems to be a general issue with the team.

I suspect the answer lies in the relative speeds and pressures of the game between VFL and AFL…

Easy, Murphy on the wing. Both him and Poulter will be a good combination. Doesn't need to be either nor or howe.
Mayne goes out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

In the vfl a lot of the times he is either in space or receiving on the run not starting from flat foot like many times he was caught out last weekend.

He isn't strong enough yet to fend off or break the tackles needs a few preseasons to build up his strength and along with it explosive power will improve.

POKsPies252

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doesn’t look like an AFL ready footballer at the moment but given our stage of development, you just need to keep playing him as has a really high upside IMO 🤔

Then he comes up against Poulter, Daicos, Sidebottom, Macrae, etc. Many don't have Mayne in the side anyway.
Sidebottom should be transiting out of the midfield and into the forward line full time. Daicos in the middle. Macrae too.

Murphy could be the successor to Howe, so he could move into that role and out of the wing.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d have Murphy over Noble atm and would move him to CHB when Howe comes back.

Murphy is listed as 190cm and 85kg's. What makes you think he should go to CHB?

I'd try Maynard in the middle.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Especially with Wilson being played as a key defender (194cms and 86kgs apparently), I think Murphy is very unlikely to ever be KPD. Which is a good thing

Had a growth spurt apparently but still doesn't look KPD size to me. I guess it'll depend upon his opponent.

I think I'd rather see him trialed forward if he's moving from the wing.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd try Maynard in the middle.

I'd like to see Maynard find some consistency in defence rather than move him.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Murphy is listed as 190cm and 85kg's. What makes you think he should go to CHB?
Around the same height and weight as Langdon and Howe who both played that role in 2018. At the moment our defensive CHB options concede goals and don’t offer anything the other way and I think if we’re gonna play Moore forward then that’s the best way to replace his intercepting and rebound. I think it will work out better than the 2018 backline since our smalls are better and Roughead holds down the fullback spot better than Goldsack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back