Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Strange decision by Brisbane who wanted more supporters in Melbourne via Fitzroy. That’s a way to keep them happy :p

No wonder AFL lost so many Fitzroy supporters...

I imagine there would have been some sort of compromise... (read $$$$$), that made the deal seem more palatable to them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
How have port power or the port adelaide sanfl side lost their heritage and history?..

sounds like a massive slice of hyperbole you’ve just dished up with that statement..

did it all of a sudden just go up in a puff of smoke?.. Sorry, but I mustve missed that...

last I looked the port adelaide SANFL side still wears their PB’s jumper and the port adelaide power AFL side still wears their original colours of black, white, teal and silver.. with a slightly modernised slant on their original guernsey from the first year in the comp in 1997..

So what heritage and history has all of a sudden become lost?..

They are not two clubs, one club only.
Well if you can't promote and display your history nationally then it is effectively put in moth balls. Even if Port can't wear their jumper they should be able to sell it to their fans if they want to. I know they agreed not to I am just saying it is stupid they can't.

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
They are not two clubs, one club only.
Well if you can't promote and display your history nationally then it is effectively put in moth balls. Even if Port can't wear their jumper they should be able to sell it to their fans if they want to. I know they agreed not to I am just saying it is stupid they can't.

What would you propose as compensation to the other affected party in return for a release from that part of the contract?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
What would you propose as compensation to the other affected party in return for a release from that part of the contract?

It's all very messy mate and it should never of got to this. If I was a Collingwood supporter I would not want another club wearing Black and White stripes and I get and understand that.
But here is the problem, the game went national and by doing so it opened itself up to this possibility, fortunately for the VFL at the time the WAFC didn't want any of their clubs to join the VFL and hence put in a franchise club starting from scratch. Adelaide did the same but the other licence was offered to an established big club which was Port Adelaide. PAFC club comes with a mountain of history which i believe they are entitled to spruik about in the new comp they are in.

My compromise would be on field you can wear your prison bars in one Home Showdown per year but that jumper must include teal in it. How much Teal would be for others to decide but it must be there. Teal number on the back and very fine teal lines on their stripes maybe?
As for the sale of their historic jumper I think they should not need any clarity on that, it is their own jumper and if they want to sell them they should be able to. If they wish to train in prison bars, have their coaches wear black and white etc etc then that does not effect anyone.

Collingwood have done the right thing over the years and said yes unfortunately to many times and have now been a part in creating this mess. They don't need any compensation however. For what?

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven

Would anyone buying a Black and White Pylon Prison Bars jumper have bought a Black and White Collingwood Jumper? No
Would this affect Collingwood in any way financially? No as they would not be losing any potential sales.

But lets throw Collingwood a bone here.

How about:
0.5% net profit from the Prison Bar Jumper sales for 10 years for 1 game?
10% net profit on sales for 10 years if allowed to wear for 11 games ?
+ 5% net profit of sale for 10 years on any potential clash version?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
Hearing the history and I actually remember this now regarding the club trying to move away from Port Magpies and form its own identity as they couldn't get members is even more interesting.

A week ago on Pies board I said didn't really care but I do now after listening to that.

Why should Collingwood be disrespected? We have stayed true to the jumper and they moved away from it why should we suffer?
Growing up in SA you either supported or hated Port. They knew going into the AFL they needed to distance themselves from the Port Magpies or they would struggle to get non Port fans onboard. Didn't they even have EST 1997 or 1996 on the back of the jumpers in the early years

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Growing up in SA you either supported or hated Port. They knew going into the AFL they needed to distance themselves from the Port Magpies or they would struggle to get non Port fans onboard. Didn't they even have EST 1997 or 1996 on the back of the jumpers in the early years

This is viewed as an enormous mistake in hindsight. The administration in the 90s made a significant error that took us 15 years to correct.

Just existing doesn't pick up new fans, at least not enough to matter. You get new fans by winning or offering something new and different.

What was new and different for Port as an AFL club in SA is that we had the 127 years of history, and we should have leaned into it instead of distancing ourselves. Sports branding 101 is that it's all about engaging your existing fans and turning casuals into hardcore, financial members.

The problem with our branding strategy in the 90s is that genericism doesn't recruit the new fans everyone says it will, and our attempt at it left the core supporterbase disaffected and feeling like it wasn't really recognisable as their club.

We've fixed that problem, and the next logical step in that is self determination in regards to wearing our most famous guernsey.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
This is viewed as an enormous mistake in hindsight. The administration in the 90s made a significant error that took us 15 years to correct.

Just existing doesn't pick up new fans, at least not enough to matter. You get new fans by winning or offering something new and different.

What was new and different for Port as an AFL club in SA is that we had the 127 years of history, and we should have leaned into it instead of distancing ourselves. Sports branding 101 is that it's all about engaging your existing fans and turning casuals into hardcore, financial members.

The problem with our branding strategy in the 90s is that genericism doesn't recruit the new fans everyone says it will, and our attempt at it left the core supporterbase disaffected and feeling like it wasn't really recognisable as their club.

We've fixed that problem, and the next logical step in that is self determination in regards to wearing our most famous guernsey.

I think you can compromise on that jumper now by including teal in it. Not much, just enough to appease the disgruntled like a 5mm outline on your black stripes. Same jumper but just helping Eddie sleep at night.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I think you can compromise on that jumper now by including teal in it. Not much, just enough to appease the disgruntled like a 5mm outline on your black stripes. Same jumper but just helping Eddie sleep at night.
Would Eddie sleep at night if they just used teal thread for the stitching?

You just made that bullshit up.

They never had anything on the back of their jumper until they put up 1870 around 2009. Go on AFL Photos and find me a jumper with EST 1996 or 1997 on it.

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
There was a stupid AFL merchandise licence plate.
1620113514167.png

this one?

The jumper you won the 2004 flag in?

Back