Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday May7 2021 7:50 pm @ MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 X premiership captain and the influence he has had as captain probably sways it Cotchin’s way. He really gets down nice and low and batters in and has changed his game in the premiership years. He sacrifices so much for the team. Obviously I won’t win the argument on this board.
FWIW, I agree with all you say. I'm sure Joel himself would also. He virtually said comments to that effect the other night. Selwood is still very good, but no insult to suggest Cotchin has slightly more impact in clutch games, despite the stats.

Waverley73

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2006
Trapped Under Ice
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Sorry, anyone able to help with this questions on public tickets?
Hi. I am not a club member but want to buy tickets to this Fridays game. I waited until 1pm today for the Club Members and Public Reserve tickets to open, which they have but it wont unlock tickets unless i have a club member number. Why does it say public reserve if you must be a member? A bit confused why they have them together but clearly I can't buy yet.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Yes classic Longmire, and we weren’t ready for it. Pretty poor.

I think we were strategically ready for it, but just aspects of our execution and skills were off the mark.

Dominated around the contests and stoppages, had the opportunity to go inside fifty alot.

What was off was the polish and decision making side of things etc our run and carry, our ability to create options into space and size up forwards was utterly off. Issues that i feel can be tuned up and changed as the season goes on.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we were strategically ready for it, but just aspects of our execution and skills were off the mark.

Dominated around the contests and stoppages, had the opportunity to go inside fifty alot.

What was off was the polish and decision making side of things etc our run and carry, our ability to create options into space and size up forwards was utterly off. Issues that i feel can be tuned up and changed as the season goes on.

Exactly. It frustrates the hell out of me when people say the team was lazy, didn’t work hard enough etc. The endeavour and intensity was there, we tried - but sometimes people have trouble accepting we do get outplayed in various areas at times. It doesn’t mean we were lazy or disinterested, it just means the other team were a bit better set up and more strategic. Blaming work ethic is a massive cop out. We had nearly 30 shots on goal, if that’s a lazy effort..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Grimes is a massive out. Just huge. Grimes, Prestia, Cotchin and Lambert are significant outs and their injuries are clearly worse than ours.

I think we will again back in Stanley.I know he can play 2-3 average games in a row, but historically, when he has a really shocking game, he does tend to come good the next week and surprise with a good showing. Glad he got it out the way last week rather than this week.

I actually thought we played quite well last week. Even when Swans were on top, we were still generating enough chances. We had nearly 30 shots on goal, so we generated enough chances, we were just dumb with our entries and inaccurate with conversion.

I thought Dahl looked like he is improving the last two weeks. Very limited player, but clearly seen as best 22 by those that matter.

I hope Higgins plays and plays well. He was brought in to be a difference in these big games on the G.

I think we’re on the up, we just need to tweak some things, but we’re getting Tigers at the best possible time and I’m confident we get the win here. 5-3 as opposed to 4-4 is huge

Just how many big games has he played on the G? He has played for two smaller clubs that have not had the G as their home ground.

I hope he plays well too. He is what 33 .. no time to wait.

Waverley73

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2006
Trapped Under Ice
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Thanks for the reply. So ticketek put it wrong - actually had public tickets and club member ones under the same category opening up today at 1pm.

Tickets on sale to the general public from 1pm tomorrow. Club members with away game access from 10am - 12 pm tomorrow 👍

Attachments

• tix1.jpg
    tix1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tix2.jpg
    tix2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 29

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Just how many big games has he played on the G? He has played for two smaller clubs that have not had the G as their home ground.

I hope he plays well too. He is what 33 .. no time to wait.

Fair point. My thinking is his class, experience and elite ball use was a decisive factor in us bringing him in for these types of games, especially on the big ground. We have had issues bombing it inside 50 and getting done on the rebound, and the MCG can really open us up if we turn it over. Hence the reason I think he has been brought in to address some of those poor I50 entries, particularly on the MCG where we can get punished and scored against heavily

Fair bit of irrational richmond love going on at this moment on this board. This season:

selwood averaging 25 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5.4 tackles, 4.6 clearances.

cotchin averaging 20 disposals, 10.5 contested, 2.5 tackles, 3.6 clearances.

geelong fan- Cotchin gone past Selwood for toughness.
Hahaha no one is tougher than Joel Selwood, especially that sniper (gun tho)

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Exactly. It frustrates the hell out of me when people say the team was lazy, didn’t work hard enough etc. The endeavour and intensity was there, we tried - but sometimes people have trouble accepting we do get outplayed in various areas at times. It doesn’t mean we were lazy or disinterested, it just means the other team were a bit better set up and more strategic. Blaming work ethic is a massive cop out. We had nearly 30 shots on goal, if that’s a lazy effort..

Not at all lazy, i dont think any of our issues are problems you cant fix within a season. Our game plan obviously works and has for a very long time or we wouldnt continually go deep into finals and wouldnt have made the grand final last year. Game plans arent set in stone, they change each year anyway but ours has always worked.

What some people get all worked up about seems irrational to me. The idea of switching and kicking the ball sideways is not “because we are told hold it and go backwards for fun”, it is simply becausw nobody is making good options up the field to move it by hand or foot too.

People need to get it into their minds a bit that fast ballistic footy is not good footy.. You need to play smart footy.

Do people thini Richmond plays ballistic quick footy?? They kick it precisely to patches of grass for their small forwards to run onto that is practiced 100,000 times over the pre season. Its very calculated and pretty far from chaos as some try to call it.

All of a sudden when we dropped our defenders behind play to clean up those balls first half of grand final, richmond quickly made adjustments at half time showing its anything but just bomb it quick and fast, its smart calculated footy.

Will be good to see Simpson back. Will we see Chook too? 😍
In the mix says chook to come in. I think Cleary likes him. Always has a photo of chook in that article. I couldn’t think of anything worse than to bring constable in. Slow against tigers running machines in the middle. Oh dear!

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
You're right, the proof is in the pudding - we had the highest points for in the competition last year.

At the risk of being a pedantic nob can I point out that it is " The proof of the pudding is in the eating" I know this phrase is so commonly butchered that the right one doesn't matter any more. However if you actually think about it the butchered doesn't make any sense. If the proof is in there and you don't eat it then there is no proof at all hence the original saying. Alright old man rant over ahhaha

Who said it was lazy? We were beaten by Longmire’s MO and weren’t ready. Out strategised as you say.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
If we bring the ball in the same way we did against the Swans, the available Richmond defenders will have more than enough capability to see off our forwards. Let alone if we kick at goal the same way we did last weekend.

For the eleventy millionth time, no football game is ever won on paper. And that has never been more true than against this current Tigers incarnation. Their ability to have team system beat individual skill is absolutely unparalleled. So I, for one, am really hoping that we're paying very little attention to who they are missing for this game. And focusing instead on how we need to play to beat the 22 soldiers they'll put out there Friday night. Unlike many teams I've watched over the years, this Richmond line-up doesn't waver greatly in their output based on personnel. It's just system, system, system until the opposition wilts under the strain of persistent pressure.

This comment is a classic case of the black and white nature that we all view the world through these days. Whilst you make some excellent points regarding their structure it is simply ridiculous to suggest it works regardless of personel. I mean to you think if you just put Nth's players in their and they new the system as well as Richmond do they would perform the same. Clearly not so having your best players out always has a big impact. Richmond can cover it more than most but to suggest it makes little difference who they trot out their is crazy.

Arguably the greatest coach of my lifetime Leigh Mathews says it best "good players make good coaches and great players make great coaches." It simply just does not matter how good your structure is if your players can't execute it. Any football structure becomes irrelevant really quickly if the players can't

A) win one on one's
B) make good decisions under pressure
C) execute their skills also under pressure after they've made their decision

The proof of the pudding was in the eating when richmond had heaps of injuries and battled through most of the year only to get them all back and storm to a flag.

This comment is a classic case of the black and white nature that we all view the world through these days. Whilst you make some excellent points regarding their structure it is simply ridiculous to suggest it works regardless of personel. I mean to you think if you just put Nth's players in their and they new the system as well as Richmond do they would perform the same. Clearly not so having your best players out always has a big impact. Richmond can cover it more than most but to suggest it makes little difference who they trot out their is crazy.

Arguably the greatest coach of my lifetime Leigh Mathews says it best "good players make good coaches and great players make great coaches." It simply just does not matter how good your structure is if your players can't execute it. Any football structure becomes irrelevant really quickly if the players can't

A) win one on one's
B) make good decisions under pressure
C) execute their skills also under pressure after they've made their decision

The proof of the pudding was in the eating when richmond had heaps of injuries and battled through most of the year only to get them all back and storm to a flag.
Scotty doesn't know.

Not sure which "richmond supporters" you've apparently spoken to, but they sound clueless.

Cotchin is extremely important, you only need to watch the second half of last week to see it. Throws his body at everything and brings the heat betrer than anyone.

Clueless if you think him being out means nothing.
Yes my brother is a tigers supporter... just the wrong board to go on with it.. big out for you guys. Absolute jet!

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Who said it was lazy? We were beaten by Longmire’s MO and weren’t ready. Out strategised as you say.

Quite a few people suggested we were lazy and out worked in the Swans autopsy thread. It just seems it’s the go to line for certain posters when we don’t win. Anyone that could come to that conclusion from the Swans game is wide of the mark IMO

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Not at all lazy, i dont think any of our issues are problems you cant fix within a season. Our game plan obviously works and has for a very long time or we wouldnt continually go deep into finals and wouldnt have made the grand final last year. Game plans arent set in stone, they change each year anyway but ours has always worked.

What some people get all worked up about seems irrational to me. The idea of switching and kicking the ball sideways is not “because we are told hold it and go backwards for fun”, it is simply becausw nobody is making good options up the field to move it by hand or foot too.

People need to get it into their minds a bit that fast ballistic footy is not good footy.. You need to play smart footy.

Do people thini Richmond plays ballistic quick footy?? They kick it precisely to patches of grass for their small forwards to run onto that is practiced 100,000 times over the pre season. Its very calculated and pretty far from chaos as some try to call it.

All of a sudden when we dropped our defenders behind play to clean up those balls first half of grand final, richmond quickly made adjustments at half time showing its anything but just bomb it quick and fast, its smart calculated footy.

I think this is a bit simplisitic. Everything regarding ball movement in on a continuum. We are clearly more risk averse and take the game on more than Richmond. I will never understand the disingenuous argument (Chris Scott is a master of this) that because someone suggests we are too negative and risk averse they are somehow arguing for fast ball movement at all costs even when not warranted. It's such a straw man argument. Clearly anyone with a football brain doesn't want our players to just go when there is nothing further up field but also clearly we are so ingrained in the cautious possession game that we (a little too often for my liking) don't go when we could.

It's obviously a balance but my argument about his season is that the new rules have tipped the balance towards attack more than last year. Therefore the advantage you gain by the slow possession footy which allows you to always be set up behind the ball is reduced because teams can go faster and catch you out anyway sometimes. Added to this the opportunities to score by attacking are clearly improved by the new rules. We don't seem to have made enough of an adjustment in my mind but Chris SCott is a much better football brain so he probably will. I just hate people counter acting the we are too slow argument, with the just go fast all the time argument, because no sensible person is saying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back