Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Yeah before last week, this has been the worst I’ve seen Harris play since his first season.

Rich off the back flank and McCluggage somewhere in the middle absolutely though. Luggage is proving this year that he has legit potential for a future Brownlow

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lever May Weitering
Salem Aliir Rich
Merrett Oliver Macrae
Petracca McKay Bolton
Greene Walker Fritsch
Gawn Wines Walsh
Mundy McLuggage Langdon Miller

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Have you watched any of the games the Tigers have played or just read the coaches votes after?

Bolton is up there with our most consistent players and was BOG against the "best midfield" in the comp in bulldogs. Short is also the most underrated player in the AFL and should have made it last year in the AA
Short is not close to the most underrated player in the AFL and is not AA this year as it stands

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have you watched any of the games the Tigers have played or just read the coaches votes after?

Bolton is up there with our most consistent players and was BOG against the "best midfield" in the comp in bulldogs. Short is also the most underrated player in the AFL and should have made it last year in the AA

I have watched plenty of footy this year, at least 4 or 5 games a week. Short was pumped up early in the year and late last season as one to watch/ underated etc. He hit the ground running in the pre season and it looked like the new rules would suit him, with Richmond looking to use him at every opportunity. He was in my Fantasy team too, as an aside. However from the times I have watched Richmond play he hasn't really stood out as dominating games. Statistically he doesn't measure up against the likes of Salem, Stewart, Ridley (missed a couple games I know) Rich or even CJ from the Hawks, and thats looking at things like intercepts, rebounding, score involvements, spoils, tackles, intercepts, pressure acts etc. Add the fact, like I mentioned, he hasn't registered a single Coaches vote (from my scan of week to week) and I'm just not sold on him being in the 22. Remember coaches votes are given to the guys who are judged to have the greatest influence on the result. What is it that sets Short apart in your view? Is there a couple of statistical areas that he excels at? Is he the organiser/ leader of the defensive unit? Is it his defensive positioning?

I think Salem is a clear leader at this point for a half back spot, with Stewart and then CJ or possibly Rich. I haven't checked out Houston or Bowes to see how the compare but I suspect they would also be in the mix and fighting Short as well for a squad spot.

In regards to Bolton he is in the mix for a squad spot, but has some work to do to be judged in the top 10 mids or so. Neale and Dangerfield will not feature this year, but with Mundy having an incredible year and the emergence of Walsh and McCluggage it's just not getting any easier. Being able to be picked at half forward doesn't really help either tbh. He might get there by the end of the year, but right now he would be outside the best 22 I think.

I don’t have Short in but that’s more because he’s 5th or 6th off a HBF right now. He’s behind Rich, Ridley, Salem, Tuohy at a minimum.

Harris Andrews is a very good player but he'd only be getting a spot this year on reputation.

Harry kicked 6 on him last week in a loss. I think Lions supporters would be the first to acknowledge his season has been a bit up and down.
Mostly down except for the Port match. I will say though, if he holds his re-found form until the end of the year, he'll be a lock again at the pointy end of the season.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I eagerly await your abuse

FB: Dale (WB) - May (MEL) - Aliir (PA)
HB: Rich (BL) - Weitering (CAR) - Salem (MEL)
C: McCluggage (BL) - Macrae (WB) - Treloar (WB)
HF: Bolton (RIC) - Walker (ADE) - Petracca (MEL)
FF: Tippa (ESS) - McKay (CAR) - Greene (GWS)

R: Gawn (MEL) - Wines (PA) - Mundy (FRE)
IC: Walsh (CAR) - Liberatore (WB) - Ellis (GC) - Lever (MEL)

Aliir, Keath, Stewart among the next defenders.
Miller, Merrett, Oliver the next midfielders.
Hickey the next ruck.
Naughton, Riewoldt, Hooker, Pickett the next forwards.

5x Melbourne
4x Bulldogs
3x Carlton
2x Port, Lions

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Hickey the next ruck.

5x Melbourne
4x Bulldogs
3x Carlton
2x Port, Lions
It's actually a solid team. I'd question picking Dale and Bolton, but probably both are defensible.

richolovesgoal

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Curious at your continued selection of Short. Has he really been AA worthy? No coaches votes (from what I can tell) and yes I understand that's not everything. By contrast Salem has been polling very well. Also think Bolton in is a bit premature. He is likely to be competing with Green at half forward and the likes of Bont, Martin and Petracca if they are not able to fit them in the midfield. I understand I am attacking the only two Richmond players you have left in your team but I just don't think either player is deserving at this point in time.

Think Short gets underrated - he's 4th for metres gained and 3rd for rebound 50s which I think are both good metrics for half-backs. But in saying that, it's a toss-up between him and Salem.

In regards to Bolton, I put him in there because he actually plays as a half-forward, and splits his time between forward and midfield. I have Greene in the forward pocket and Petracca on the other flank. I did have Dustin there but he's only played two great games this year and obviously missed on the weekend. Really don't want another situation like last year where they just put pure midfielders on a flank.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's actually a solid team. I'd question picking Dale and Bolton, but probably both are defensible.
I know both are slightly unconventional picks based on other teams so far, but both have been massive for their respective sides. Bolton has been huge the last 3 weeks, with the Dogs game arguably being his best. That was definitely the last forward spot picked for me though. Dale hasn't played a bad game for us this year, was easily our best player in the Tigers game. The half back spots are really tight though, could've easily picked Stewart instead, or even someone like Brodie Smith who has flown under the radar.

There's very few "locks" in this team at this stage, with the only ones I'm fully confident in being McKay, Gawn, McCluggage and Macrae

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hickey the next ruck.

5x Melbourne
4x Bulldogs
3x Carlton
2x Port, Lions

Keith - no
Dale - no
Lib and Treloar are not imo - but are coming into contention.
Miller - no.
Merret - no
Oliver - maybe
Picket - no.
Walker - no.
Rich - no.
Salem - maybe (Baker has been as good against better oppo)
Tippa - no, no, no
Ellis - no

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keith - no
Dale - no
Miller - no.
Merret - no
Oliver - maybe
Picket - no.
Walker - no.
Rich - no.
Tippa - no, no, no
Ellis - no
I understand it's subjective, but with that many no's, who are all the players ahead of these people? There has to be 13 better players you can list

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Keith - no
Dale - no
Miller - no.
Merret - no
Oliver - maybe
Picket - no.
Walker - no.
Rich - no.
Tippa - no, no, no
Ellis - no
To expand on this, I know stats are misleading, but to support my point on a few of these:
  • Rich is easily leading in Metres Gained, and is 2nd for rebound 50s.
  • Libba is leading for Pressure Acts, leading for Clearances (by a fair margin), 4th for Contested Possessions, 5th for Tackles, 6th for Score Launches (1st among midfielders, with the 5 ahead being rucks). Seems to really be flying under the radar so far but is the in-form inside mid of the competition right now.
  • Walker is leading the Coleman, and 10th in AFLCA voting.
  • Salem is 6th in the AFLCA voting, and 1st among defenders.
  • Miller is 8th
  • Oliver is 11th
I can support the Baker suggestion. He's been really good. Wouldn't have him in the team, but he'd be at least close to the squad so far.

As for Pickett and Tippa, are there any small forwards better than these two so far, outside of Greene (who is already included)?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To expand on this, I know stats are misleading, but to support my point on a few of these:
  • Rich is easily leading in Metres Gained, and is 2nd for rebound 50s.
  • Libba is leading for Pressure Acts, leading for Clearances (by a fair margin), 4th for Contested Possessions, 5th for Tackles, 6th for Score Launches (1st among midfielders, with the 5 ahead being rucks). Seems to really be flying under the radar so far but is the in-form inside mid of the competition right now.
  • Walker is leading the Coleman, and 10th in AFLCA voting.
  • Salem is 6th in the AFLCA voting, and 1st among defenders.
  • Miller is 8th
  • Oliver is 11th
I can support the Baker suggestion. He's been really good. Wouldn't have him in the team, but he'd be at least close to the squad so far.

As for Pickett and Tippa, are there any small forwards better than these two so far, outside of Greene (who is already included)?

I rate consistency. For example:

CJ - great consistency in coaches votes and is a high achiever in AFL rankings - but the diff between his best and his worst is too far. Many would have him in the team - I would be looking for someone else. Same with Walker.

Same with Jaeger - has had outstanding games - a purple patch - but not reliable.

Hickey the next ruck.

5x Melbourne
4x Bulldogs
3x Carlton
2x Port, Lions
9 players between Dees & Dogs? Carlton with 3?

Not a chance.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
9 players between Dees & Dogs? Carlton with 3?

Not a chance.
Currently top 2 on the ladder.

Last year, there were 10 players in the squad between Port and Geelong.
In 2019, there were 8 players in the final team between West Coast and Geelong.
In 2018, Richmond had 8 in the squad, and there were 7 between Richmond and Hawthorn in the final team.

While it's far more likely to be whittled down to 3 or 4 players each by end of year (assuming both teams continue their form), it's not out of the question. And which of the Carlton players don't belong?

Back