Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 6:

the solution is effective quarantine.
not complete freedom to travel.

So things like flight caps might be required to ensure the quarantine facilities can handle the numbers required, right?

I've been saying for months now they should build more facilities like Howard Springs that haven't had all the issues hotel quarantine has had.

you would deny

You do know I'm not Scott Morrison right? I am not denying anything to anyone. Take a breath.

I don’t agree with the racism claims, that to me is people projecting their own unacknowledged Indian racism, but there should remain some re-entry quarantining channels, as there are obviously a lot of Australians who visit India fairly regularly for work, play and family reasons. A lot of elderly relatives in India to catch up with after difficult years apart.

I think it can look racist. Canada and Germany have exact same % of their populations catching covid as india. France has twice as many per day. But we dont block them. When it comes to numbers you can use part of the stats to just about support any argument.

Report india as 380,000 cases a day, show some video of the worst places possible and you scare people.
Say 0.025% of India are infected per day and it is near the same rate for many other countries and the reason it is so bad is they are not first world, overpopulated with a poor health care system and people will pity their system, possibly even want to try help them. Fundraiser pages might pop up, calls for more flights to help India.

the solution is effective quarantine. There Should of been mass construction effort to build quarantine facilties. To date there is still virtually nothing being done here. This is a mass failure on the government and ourselves for not pushing for it. We have to bare the risks now. We can’t just deny Australians their rights because we collectively as a society failed to build sufficient protections. we need to share those failures. Only then will we perhaps be forced to fix this issue. Currently we are making australians in India the scape goats for our failures and they may well pay for that with their lives Through lack of oxygen or food.

and not complete freedom to travel. Freedom to return home to your own country and face strict quarantine. It’s a human right decreed by the UN To return to your land. It disgusts me that you would deny people their Australian rights like it was nothing. Truly disgusting.

Just a week ago Australians were fapping about, posting their ANZAC posts celebrating the ANZAC spirit. Now a week later they want to leave Aussies behind, and shut the doors on them.

I think it can look racist. Canada and Germany have exact same % of their populations catching covid as india. France has twice as many per day. But we dont block them. When it comes to numbers you can use part of the stats to just about support any argument.

Report india as 380,000 cases a day, show some video of the worst places possible and you scare people.
Say 0.025% of India are infected per day and it is near the same rate for many other countries and the reason it is so bad is they are not first world, overpopulated with a poor health care system and people will pity their system, possibly even want to try help them. Fundraiser pages might pop up, calls for more flights to help India.
Don't let's play the racist card. Country-ist maybe. We're not banning them because they're brown, but because their COUNTRY is in a bad way. Much like China and Italy were early on. Yes, we evacuated Australians from Wuhan but there were relatively few of them. 8000 divided by 200 people per flight is a lot of flights, even over several weeks.

Pretty sure I've read about it elsewhere. Without checking, SA and VIC spring to mind.

From memory, the hotels aren't required to disclose it in any way either.

Just a shambles. If you're using the hotel for HQ, book the entire thing. The cost of bookings the entire place out is nothing in comparison to shutting the city of Perth down for 3 days.

Its based on a lot of things. Ability to control exits, balcony heights, air flow cannot flow freely through the whole hotel or perhaps even whole levels. But yes, booking the whole thing even if part remains empty is smarter

Howard Springs is being expanded from 800 capacity to 2000. Anyone know if it's complete yet? Was supposed to be by end of April.

Don't forget Victoria banned international arrivals for 2 months.

Yes Victoria did, cost me a nice $2500 which I am sure Mr Dan Andrews wont be giving back

Don't let's play the racist card. Country-ist maybe. We're not banning them because they're brown, but because their COUNTRY is in a bad way. Much like China and Italy were early on. Yes, we evacuated Australians from Wuhan but there were relatively few of them. 8000 divided by 200 people per flight is a lot of flights, even over several weeks.

They certainly dont allow 200 on a flight. 350 seats on mine at an estimate, 35 passenger limit. Where it feels possibly racist is that France is twice as bad as a daily infected % of their population but the Aussies arent limited there. Nor Canada or Germany who have the same %. The media show the worst of the worst footage. I think the UK had footage of bodies everywhere, I asked my british friends and even they hadnt heard of this

They certainly dont allow 200 on a flight. 350 seats on mine at an estimate, 35 passenger limit. Where it feels possibly racist is that France is twice as bad as a daily infected % of their population but the Aussies arent limited there. Nor Canada or Germany who have the same %. The media show the worst of the worst footage. I think the UK had footage of bodies everywhere, I asked my british friends and even they hadnt heard of this

I'd hazard a guess that there's a hell of a lot less Australians stranded in France for a start.

The difference is, there's significantly more people trying to travel from India to Australia than from Canada or Germany or France. Then there's the fact that the sheer numbers of people in India (1.3 billion people) means the rate could be less than these countries and still overwhelm quarantine. Finally, there's the issue of whether India's numbers are accurate given the strain on its health system.

I don't disagree it's 'easier' to put a ban on countries like China and India because of preconceptions, but the health advice is sound. The abandonment of Australians and penalties absolutely is not.

Bit of a kerfuffle in the press today about Howard Springs international arrivals - which is managed by the feds - being handed over to the NT government.

Until now NT has looked after domestic quarantine in a firewalled partition away from the internationals, they are talking about just having one big complex after the handover.

1. People who left Australia during these times knew the risks
2. No sympathy for any of them. Why should the rest of Australias population be put at risk by them?
3. Those stories about waiting 9 months to return home are a joke. I know some people who waited about 2-3 months to get back to Australia but they constantly chased up the embassy travel agents etc. The ones who been 'waiting' 9 months a year etc just want attention but don't actually want to come back
I hit the disagree button but also want to reiterate how s**t this post is with a reply.

of course its racist. Everything is ******* racist today. If someone wants it to be, it is.
Welcome to the fukkery of the world in 2021.
******* plebs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are there so many overseas though? Didn't they hear about the borders shutting 12 months ago?

Why are there so many overseas though? Didn't they hear about the borders shutting 12 months ago?

There are plenty still coming and going from Australia for essential reasons - this includes humanitarian work, international diplomacy, legal reasons and hosting reality shows.

The last one was sarcastic but our travel ban has never been total - and Australian citizens until recently no matter where they were had the right of return.

The real problem early on was the US we didnt ban them

There are plenty still coming and going from Australia for essential reasons - this includes humanitarian work, international diplomacy, legal reasons and hosting reality shows.

The last one was sarcastic but our travel ban has never been total - and Australian citizens until recently no matter where they were had the right of return.

Yeah fair enough. I just find it a bit crazy that the Aussie cricketers etc are acting like they're hard done by, the risks of leaving the country have been well known for a while now.

i know someone who was living, gainfully employed, kids in school and renting a place in the US.
12 months ago he could have given up his job, broke his lease, uprooted his kids from school and came to Australia, be unemployed, go on unemployment benefits and i guess do nothing. but he didnt.
but a few months ago, the company he works for went broke, he lost his job and hence wants to now come back to Australia if he cannot find another job which currently he hasnt been able to although he has got some casual work and is just getting by. must be a few people in this boat

Do you honestly think the number is just hovering around 400k per day? Even news broadcasts in India are suggesting the real number is way higher. Same goes for the death figures as well.

where has been the hysteria over hungary? they've had a death rate about 10x that of india the last month or so and i haven't heard a peep.

Interesting that you continue to live in fantasy land.

So your solution is no flight caps and complete freedom of travel? That's working well for other countries.

‘well actually it is working well in several countries, and manymany people are having no issues here, it’s connections, business etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back