List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem with Gooba is he isn't a great tap ruckman from what I've seen. Not sure he'd complement Marshall near as much as Ryder, but he'd be handy back up for Marshall.

Of course not, if there were a heap of Ryders out there every club would love one. Darcy might be the best of the established rucks available as StC said.

The second tier rucks seem to always be a good option. Pittonet, Lycett, Hickey, Nank types were all second rucks at other clubs that have moved and been revelatory.

Goober is probably more a second Marshall type who will score when he's up forward but probably not going to be a huge asset as a true tap ruckman. That said he's still vey young and inexperienced and would still be a development project. Max Gawn really started to come on in his mid 20s, before that he was very average.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of course not, if there were a heap of Ryders out there every club would love one. Darcy might be the best of the established rucks available as StC said.

The second tier rucks seem to always be a good option. Pittonet, Lycett, Hickey, Nank types were all second rucks at other clubs that have moved and been revelatory.

Goober is probably more a second Marshall type who will score when he's up forward but probably not going to be a huge asset as a true tap ruckman. That said he's still vey young and inexperienced and would still be a development project. Max Gawn really started to come on in his mid 20s, before that he was very average.
I wasn't trying to suggest we'd find someone as good as Ryder, just that maybe we'd be better off chasing a genuine ruck rather than a forward ruck with not a lot of ruck craft.

We probably need to find a couple of them anyway as I can't see Hunter on our list next year.

It would make sense to grab Gooba as an immediate back up though.

I wasn't trying to suggest we'd find someone as good as Ryder, just that maybe we'd be better off chasing a genuine ruck rather than a forward ruck with not a lot of ruck craft.

We probably need to find a couple of them anyway as I can't see Hunter on our list next year.

It would make sense to grab Gooba as an immediate back up though.

I reckon he's probably a partially developed ruck man rather than walk up start. If you imagine mid career is about the start of a rise for rucks and late 20s is when they peak, he is still fair way off. Hickey has finally come good but he's be late 20s by now. Stanley too.

Crossley is 21 and missed a year. To me the best thing about Crossley is that he could legitimately play as a KPF who fill in rucks while Marshall rests forward rather than spends 5 years in the VFL learning his craft. His size makes him at least able to fill in unlike a Bell type who was probably 4 years off even having a build for an AFL ruckman.

He's got something about the way he plays that makes him seem like the attitude is there to be a bull.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What would be the reason we wouldn't use all 4 picks in the MSD?

The way it looks, we'll have plenty of players to delist end of year so list spots won't be a problem. We can also delist these mid season players at the end of the year if they don't work out.

If anything we can get a couple of good young state league players that can help Sandy each week.

Watching Dunstan try and do it all by himself in the midfield is pretty frustrating.

Is there a list anywhere of players who can be taken in the mid season draft?

On page 2 i put a list of some of the young players who weren't drafted last year.
Apart from that its anyone who ever played AFL or State level footy.

Subject to them nominating of course. There was a discussion that some , who feel they would go in the National draft, would prefer that to a 6 month rookie spot.
( Though i can't see why they couldn't go Rookie for 6 month then nominate for the draft ).

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
What would be the reason we wouldn't use all 4 picks in the MSD?

The way it looks, we'll have plenty of players to delist end of year so list spots won't be a problem. We can also delist these mid season players at the end of the year if they don't work out.

If anything we can get a couple of good young state league players that can help Sandy each week.

Watching Dunstan try and do it all by himself in the midfield is pretty frustrating.
What would the point be in recruiting someone for 6 months with just the intention of playing them at Sandy? Seems like a waste of money and resources.

Would also be a big disruption to their lives as well.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What would the point be in recruiting someone for 6 months with just the intention of playing them at Sandy? Seems like a waste of money and resources.

That's not what I was suggesting.

But the option is there if it doesn't work out so it's much less of a risk. Its worst case scenario.

Someone like Luke Partingon for example. Very good state league player, 23 years old. Gives us depth if we have a few midfield injuries.

Still young enough to show hes good ebough. Maybe he proves he's more than just a very good state league player?

What do we lose out of that?

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah, can't imagine many would go for that. Especially because it's not even 6 months, more like 3-4. Draft at the start of June, season over in September. Good luck getting that much leave from your job! If you're Partington or similar you'd have to be pretty desperate to take that spot.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, can't imagine many would go for that. Especially because it's not even 6 months, more like 3-4. Draft at the start of June, season over in September. Good luck getting that much leave from your job! If you're Partington or similar you'd have to be pretty desperate to take that spot.
I didn't actually say let's draft a player to play at Sandringham for 6 months though.

I said the option is there to delist if it doesn't work out. As it is for anyone taken in the MSD.

I reckon most young state league players would jump at that opportunity.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I didn't actually say let's draft a player to play at Sandringham for 6 months though.
???

Another ex Saint Nick O’Kearney had 36 disposals and a goal on the weekend in his first game for the year.

Templeton, O’Kearney and Freeman all playing very good VFL footy.
Look like very good VFL players

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Righto, I can see how I've made that confusing.

By "if anything" I mean worst case. Probably didnt word it as well as i could have.

So worst case scenario we get a couple of good state players thar help us at Sandy.

Best case is they take their opportunity and get a contract extension which is why I say target young state players.

We currently have one St Kilda listed midfielder in our VFL side

What do we actually lose out of that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I think the way it stands ATM is that anyone nominating for the mid season draft has two choices - either accept what is offered - ie a contract till the end of the year or specify a contract that does not exceed the terms and conditions of the EBA. (1st year player contract which expires at the end of 2022.

A young local kid might take a punt on the short term contract ($50k + another $20k if they get delisted) but a more mature aged interstate player may be less likely to chuck in a job etc for a 6 month contract despite the good money.

That's not what I was suggesting.

But the option is there if it doesn't work out so it's much less of a risk. Its worst case scenario.

Someone like Luke Partingon for example. Very good state league player, 23 years old. Gives us depth if we have a few midfield injuries.

Still young enough to show hes good ebough. Maybe he proves he's more than just a very good state league player?

What do we lose out of that?

Freezer?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the way it stands ATM is that anyone nominating for the mid season draft has two choices - either accept what is offered - ie a contract till the end of the year or specify a contract that does not exceed the terms and conditions of the EBA. (1st year player contract which expires at the end of 2022.

A young local kid might take a punt on the short term contract ($50k + another $20k if they get delisted) but a more mature aged interstate player may be less likely to chuck in a job etc for a 6 month contract despite the good money.
It would also come down to how confident they are of getting another contract at the end of the term I guess.

Looking at our list there are plenty of delisting likely at the end of the year. We have one midfielder in the VFL that could well and up delisted as well.

There's opportunity there for someone willing to take it.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
It would also come down to how confident they are of getting another contract at the end of the term I guess.

Looking at our list there are plenty of delisting likely at the end of the year. We have one midfielder in the VFL that could well and up delisted as well.

There's opportunity there for someone willing to take it.
If you've just finished school last year and were looking at at some s*** job with Deliveroo then $70k would be hard to pass up.

You'd think it would depend on what he's got going on outside footy.

A mate who's nephew just left the VFL reckons you only play VFL in the hope of getting picked up.

Unfortunately I don’t think any would make it at AFL level, except maybe Templeton. Could be a serviceable b grader/backup mid option.

Nick O'Kerney was a nice player but his frame was so light he never looked like he'd withstand the rigours of seniors. If he's filled out his skills were right up there.

Another ex Saint Nick O’Kearney had 36 disposals and a goal on the weekend in his first game for the year.

Templeton, O’Kearney and Freeman all playing very good VFL footy.

Its only a matter of time , i hope im wrong but i just see one head knock and its back to square one for him
View attachment 1114210
Well not only did he punch a guy in the jaw, at the tribunal his mitigation is that he probably had low blood sugar.

Why would any club redraft him based just on that statement alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back