List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he's listed as a ruck but I alway's liked the look of Brayden Crossley as a forward and would definitely consider him as a plug and play replacement for Cox. Shift Cox out end of year for picks for Daicos and extra salary cap to chase a free agent like Merrett.

I know he's listed as a ruck but I alway's liked the look of Brayden Crossley as a forward and would definitely consider him as a plug and play replacement for Cox. Shift Cox out end of year for picks for Daicos and extra salary cap to chase a free agent like Merrett.
What could we get for Cox in terms of picks?

This is an interesting post from Harlequin Dream about potential mature agers from the SANFL last year (2020): https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2020-mature-aged-prospects.1250907/post-68210221

Some will be very familiar to us!

I liked the sound of Duval:
1/ Mitch Duval

23-years-old
188 cm
82 kg

Standout attributes:
Intercept marking, composure

Strong interceptor, good pack mark, capable in 1-on-1 scenarios, good athlete and doesn't waste the ball. Unlike some others he doesn't have an obvious weakness that might inhibit a transfer to the AFL.

Ideally he would play as an intercepting half-back floating through packs. However, West Adelaide has left him in many last line scenarios which he handled with composure. He isn't someone who needs freedom to launch at every ball to have an impact.

He was very good this year but I expect better next year considering his rate of improvement coming from amateur football to the SANFL.

Could free up Crisp for more midfield, offer a more composed alternative for Madgen, defensive cover/or intercept combo with Howe.

what do you mean more natural footballer?

Yeah very much an unscientific, touchy-feely assessment. Ruscoe seems to move more easily around the ground, seems to read the play a bit better and have more naturally ingrained skills. He looks a little gawky (hair style does not help) but his disposal by foot is pretty slick. But as said elsewhere, he needs to hit the weights in a serious fashion because at the moment he is being brushed aside too easily.

Joel Trudgeon 185cm 90kg (19yo) inside midfielder for Northern Knights might be one to look at for the mid season draft. He's a big bodied midfielder who wins a high ratio of contested ball. Doing well at NAB league level but mature by comparison. It'd be nice to know how he fares at VFL level.

Write up from Knightmare:

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...next-nick-haynes-josh-gibcus-stars-nab-league

If we are after a contested bull midfielder I hope we also consider Oliver Davis.

He’s still been dominating as 19 yr old for Tassie Devils in the NAB league (& Clarence in TSL) and has leadership written all over him.

Has just headed over to the SANFL to try to push his case leading up to the mid season and national drafts.

If we are after a contested bull midfielder I hope we also consider Oliver Davis.

He’s still been dominating as 19 yr old for Tassie Devilsand has leadership written all over him.

Has just headed over to the SANFL to try to push his case leading up to the mid season and national drafts.

Yep. They're the two young midfielders (Trudgeon and Davis) worth consideration imo. If one or the other could show they're up to it at state league level I'd favour that so I'll watch Oliver with interest. Who will he play for? I wonder if we can get Trudgeon into the VFL setup?

What are Davis strengths/ weaknesses in your view?

Last edited:
Yeah very much an unscientific, touchy-feely assessment. Ruscoe seems to move more easily around the ground, seems to read the play a bit better and have more naturally ingrained skills. He looks a little gawky (hair style does not help) but his disposal by foot is pretty slick. But as said elsewhere, he needs to hit the weights in a serious fashion because at the moment he is being brushed aside too easily.

I liked the look of Ruscoe back last week. A beautiful kick from defence. It's where he looked good in u18s too. I'd play him back from now. This year i'd give him 3 areas to focus on 1. No sooking 2. Attack on the ball 3. Weights.

He’s still been dominating as 19 yr old for Tassie Devils in the NAB league (& Clarence in TSL) and has leadership written all over him.

Pretty sure Davo-27 had him at 26 in his rankings before the draft last year. Interesting to see if he gets picked up.

We already have Cox, Cameron and Lynch this year, so Crossley wouldn't be someone I'd have any interest in in the mid-season draft. Even longer term, I'm not sure we gain much by swapping out Cox for Crossley.

If we're looking for a KPP prospect I'd much prefer we look for a 195-200cm forward/defender with better than average pace and agility, and with the potential to take the ruck occasionally. You look at Cox (the Essendon version) this year and it's his pace and athleticism that sets him apart, and at something around that 200cm he'll develop the capacity to take the occasional ruck contest over time. While very similar to McMahon, I like the look of Kolar. Assuming off course that Edwards isn't available to us. Kolar has been injured so unable to make a case as yet for the mid-season draft, but will be an interesting watch.

We already have Cox, Cameron and Lynch this year, so Crossley wouldn't be someone I'd have any interest in in the mid-season draft. Even longer term, I'm not sure we gain much by swapping out Cox for Crossley.

If we're looking for a KPP prospect I'd much prefer we look for a 195-200cm forward/defender with better than average pace and agility, and with the potential to take the ruck occasionally. You look at Cox (the Essendon version) this year and it's his pace and athleticism that sets him apart, and at something around that 200cm he'll develop the capacity to take the occasional ruck contest over time. While very similar to McMahon, I like the look of Kolar. Assuming off course that Edwards isn't available to us. Kolar has been injured so unable to make a case as yet for the mid-season draft, but will be an interesting watch.

I'd love to have Cox. Find us a top 5-8 draft pick and we can discuss bringing in someone like Cox. My thought process was more around how we could off load someone, free up cap space, help us with points for Daics, and not lose out from a list perspective. The little wins needed to reset.

We are 2nd Last so we don't need a Plug and Play and IF we did be with our 2nd Pick and not the 1st

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare's write up on Oliver Davis
54. St Kilda - Oliver Davis
Height, Weight: 182cm, 75kg
Profile: High production midfielder who dominated in the NAB League in 2019 and played a strong brand of football in the TSL this season. Davis led the TSL in tackles and featured inside the top-10 for disposals and contested possessions.

We are 2nd Last so we don't need a Plug and Play and IF we did be with our 2nd Pick and not the 1st

I look at it like this:

Out - Cox salary
In - Draft picks for Daics, A player to replace Cox output, A greater chance at pursuing free agents

If the loss of Cox's salary means we get Merrett as an example and we don't go into points deficit it's a big win.

Crossley I think covers his role without too much loss. Personally I always loved how aggressive Crossley was in the contest.

You guys could have plugger, duck and God up there at the minute and you couldn't kick a winning score.

Why is it that Cox and degoey are the scapegoats, Moore can't get a kick up there either, your ball movement is too slow, sideways, it doesn't allow you to score, you need to break the shackles, maybe they need to implement play on every time between the arch's to give their forwards a chance and be daring, it can't be any worse then the drivel being served up.

I'd go Tyler roos mid season, play him mid, shift pendles to half back to set the game up, with Moore quaynor, crisp and Howe thats exciting ball movement there.

I'd trade Grundy, he's just a supercoach player, why can't you win clearances against a team with no ruck, why couldn't he push forward and kick a bag of 5? Cameron and Cox provide as much value

I look at it like this:

Out - Cox salary
In - Draft picks for Daics, A player to replace Cox output, A greater chance at pursuing free agents

If the loss of Cox's salary means we get Merrett as an example and we don't go into points deficit it's a big win.

Crossley I think covers his role without too much loss. Personally I always loved how aggressive Crossley was in the contest.

You guys could have plugger, duck and God up there at the minute and you couldn't kick a winning score.

Why is it that Cox and degoey are the scapegoats, Moore can't get a kick up there either, your ball movement is too slow, sideways, it doesn't allow you to score, you need to break the shackles, maybe they need to implement play on every time between the arch's to give their forwards a chance and be daring, it can't be any worse then the drivel being served up.

I'd go Tyler roos mid season, play him mid, shift pendles to half back to set the game up, with Moore quaynor, crisp and Howe thats exciting ball movement there.

I'd trade Grundy, he's just a supercoach player, why can't you win clearances against a team with no ruck, why couldn't he push forward and kick a bag of 5? Cameron and Cox provide as much value

You're right to say our ball movement is ordinary and most forwards would struggle with it. This isn't about making Cox a scapegoat. I've supported him a lot. But we have an opportunity to trade him and help us stay out of points deficit for Daicos, to clear cap space to pursue free agents this year (rebuild our midfield, to improve our ball movement) and replace his output with a younger player (who I rate, many don't, but that's cool). To me it's the right thought process to help restore our list.

Edit: You also need to consider Cox's age and our list profile when discussing this. He isn't going to be around when we next contend, but isn't such a leader we'll miss his presence.

On Tyler Roos, what can you tell us about him? Strengths/weaknesses?

Last edited:
You're right to say our ball movement is ordinary and most forwards would struggle with it. This isn't about making Cox a scapegoat. I've supported him a lot. But we have an opportunity to trade him and help us stay out of points deficit for Daicos, to clear cap space to pursue free agents this year (rebuild our midfield, to improve our ball movement) and replace his output with a younger player (who I rate, many don't, but that's cool). To me it's the right thought process to help restore our list.

Edit: You also need to consider Cox's age and our list profile when discussing this. He isn't going to be around when we next contend, but isn't such a leader we'll miss his presence.

On Tyler Roos, what can you tell us about him? Strengths/weaknesses?

Q, I’m pretty sure Cox was on the table for trading at the end of 2020, and there was no definite interest. He was briefly linked in the (unreliable) media with the Dogs and Swans, and nothing came of it.

19 year olds from the NAB League are interesting this year, as many have said because of the non starting 2020 season people are assuming some good talent that developed late in their draft year will slip through to this mid season draft, if i were to look at the 19 year olds i have seen through a critical lens, i would say that these handful are my favourites so far.

Luke Cleary - Sandringham - 189cm 80kg - half back that is a rebounding defender, was a good player in 2019 if i remember correctly and has been a key player in Sandringham's side so far this year.

Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg - a new player this year that has popped up out of nowhere for me, agile, speedy mid with good skills and has performed at a good level all year so far.

Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg - flexible ruck/forw, agile big man which is important for rucks to get to the highest level, good mark, competitive ruck, the media have hyped him up and will likely go 1 to North or head to the end of season draft where he likely goes 2nd round or thereabouts?

Max Heath - Sandringham - 204cm 94kg - i wasnt sure on him last season as i had not seen him play, but after seeing him in a few games i think his frame and size could be useful and he is solid at marking around the ground too, if a club is looking for a developing ruck with a good frame, competitive ruck and marks around the ground he is an option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- top 4

Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg - sml/med forw, moves well, contests well, good mark and good kick for goal, looks a player

Eren Soylemez - Sandringham - 178cm 77kg - goal scoring small forward, has been doing well for Sandringham this year so far

then theres a few others Fraser Marris, Oliver Davis, Cody Raak, Noah Gribble(seems determined), Sam Clohesy, Joel Trudgeon, Ned Moyle, Darby Hipwell, Luis D'Angelo, Jye Menzie, Kade Chalcraft, Charlie Byrne, Ewan MacPherson.

Post from Davo from the draft board. Did Dylan Thomas end up playing for us in the VFL? I know he was training with us. Seems like the sort of kid we'd pick up.

Moyle also played with us on the weekend.

Last edited:
Q, I’m pretty sure Cox was on the table for trading at the end of 2020, and there was no definite interest. He was briefly linked in the (unreliable) media with the Dogs and Swans, and nothing came of it.

Cox contract would have been prohibitive to a trade last year. That's not the case this year. I reckon a GC in need of a ruck, with late picks they don't need this year, might be a destination. Costs them very little and they can neg. a contract they're comfortable with while addressing an area of need.

Cox contract would have been prohibitive to a trade last year. That's not the case this year. I reckon a GC in need of a ruck, with late picks they don't need this year, might be a destination. Costs them very little and they can neg. a contract they're comfortable with while addressing an area of need.
And Coxy gets to live in the Goldy.

Yeah... How many good players have come out of Tasmania in the past 5-6 years though?

What's that matter. Assess Davis on his merit with the benefit of seeing how he goes in the SANFL. Seems reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back