List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A priority pick for De Goey would be a late first at best. 2nd Round at worst. Both of which are worst then some team would pay for him this season. This also gives us more points to match for Daicos which means less debt in 2022. I genuinely believe by not trading him this year, his value will decrease. We have to strike while the iron is somewhat hot

Priority picks are for the most part determined by salary at the destination club. I doubt he's leaving unless he's getting offered well above what we're prepared to pay so ultimately I doubt we wouldn't get access to a pick immediately after our nominal 1st rounder.

You always look slow when you're chasing tail. I'd love some extra elite pace but I don't think we're slow.
Where not necessarily slow compared to some teams, but the tiges remain the benchmark - my view is that it's become a pressure game - and if you want to apply pressure and create turnovers like the tigers do - you've got to be able to run and close space down as quickly as the tigers do.

Copeland is hardly a good measure. It rewards durability as much as performance. I'd be interested to know where JDG sits in terms of Copeland votes per game top 10 each year. I'd reckon he's well up there on those averages.
Best ability is availability

What if we trade our next years first?

I’ve been thinking about a way we can best utilise our future picks while still acquiring Daicos & other players.

IMO, we will finish higher next year than we will this year.

Out: 2022 1st pick

In: GCS 2nd round pick & a combination of Will Brodie, Brayden Fironi, Sam
Flanders, Jeremy Sharp (2 or 3).

Basically anyone 24 or under who can’t get a game in that young developing team.

Example:

We lose pick 7

We get pick 28 & 3 best 22 players.

We’ll already have a very young list with all the draftees from the previous 2 years, Daicos & Dib this year.

Fiorini & Brodie slot into our midfield and make us better in the short / medium term with the hope they turn into B+ level player or are overtaken by draftees.

GCS obviously hoping we finish bottom 3.

I think Josh Kelly is the one we are after. If he chooses to opt out of GWS, it will be his last chance to play in front of crowds in big matches at the G. I dont think he is as good as his reputation, but still would assist Adams and ease the pressure on Pendles and Sidebottom in their final years.
Chance he’d like to play in finals.

I think if you can get Merrett in who will be 26 start of next year for hopefully nothing it's a really good result we have no players in that age bracket.

I don't understand why he would want to join Collingwood surely wants to end up at a contender.

Weidermam from Melbourne is a must get especially atm while he can't get a game.

There seems to be a school of thought by some that we shouldn't be targeting anyone over the age of ~23yo atm. I really think we need to target guys like Merrett if we can get them without a loss of draft picks through FA. They'll provide experience and structure for a young list profile. It will help future plan for life post Pendles. Our midfield needs a rebuild and it needs more than kids. I think FA needs to be core to our strategy.

Getting good 23yo will cost. If we go there we need to identify guys that aren't best 22, perhaps want playing opportunities, or to return to Victoria. Get them before their value is high.

Would Darcy Fogarty or Mitch Lewis be gettable? If we’re rebuilding, I’d love to see one of these guys be given every opportunity at the top level to see what they can become. No idea what contracts and availability are like, just thinking out loud.

Would Darcy Fogarty or Mitch Lewis be gettable? If we’re rebuilding, I’d love to see one of these guys be given every opportunity at the top level to see what they can become. No idea what contracts and availability are like, just thinking out loud.
Darcy Fogarty would be an ideal reclamation project on the cheap. Doesn't get much of a look-in at Adelaide, but I think he'd be an excellent 3rd KPF

Apparently Essendon offered pick 9 for pick 17 & our future first.
We’ve got to get more ruthless at the trade table

Those offers are terrible

I’ll take Poulter and McMahon - I thought we’d have about pick 9 or 10 - and it’s two swings v one (but hindsight is great)

Add to that the need to walk away when trades cost too much (Treloar / Beams)

Ok then, $675k. $700k got band 1 last year. Assuming that JDG has his charges dropped and retains his career, there are plenty of teams who would be willing to offer that based on his talent alone.
With our luck the AFL will scrap FA compo altogether in the year JDG becomes a FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we trade our next years first?

I’ve been thinking about a way we can best utilise our future picks while still acquiring Daicos & other players.

IMO, we will finish higher next year than we will this year.

Out: 2022 1st pick

In: GCS 2nd round pick & a combination of Will Brodie, Brayden Fironi, Sam
Flanders, Jeremy Sharp (2 or 3).

Basically anyone 24 or under who can’t get a game in that young developing team.

Example:

We lose pick 7

We get pick 28 & 3 best 22 players.

We’ll already have a very young list with all the draftees from the previous 2 years, Daicos & Dib this year.

Fiorini & Brodie slot into our midfield and make us better in the short / medium term with the hope they turn into B+ level player or are overtaken by draftees.

GCS obviously hoping we finish bottom 3.

GC 2021 2nd + Brodie and fiorini (Collingwood to pay 100% of salary)

For

Collingwood 2021 4th round + 2022 1st round

I think we’d do that in a heartbeat.

Don’t mind it since we’ll probably just spread their salary over a few years.

Don’t think we can trade many 2021 picks because we need points for Daicos.
I hate it. I’d much rather be getting games in to the likes of Macrae, Daicos, Poulter and Rantall than recruiting middle of the road GC mids on inflated salaries.

Petracca gone, long term deal reported. That leaves Kelly and Merrett as options to fix our midfield woes
Trac is the only one I want for the price it’d cost (and we should have targeted him instead of Beams)

Got to find a younger quality mid

I hate it. I’d much rather be getting games in to the likes of Macrae, Daicos, Poulter and Rantall than recruiting middle of the road GC mids on inflated salaries.

I don’t see how this could be a bad thing. 2 best 22 players.

Our midfield next year.

Possibility #1
Adams
Daicos
Macrae
Rantall
Daicos
Pendles/Sidebottom

Possibility #2
Adams
Daicos
Fiorini
Brodie
Macrae
Rantall

Pendles & Sidebottom can find other roles. We can’t expect Pendles & Sidebottom to be full time mids next year. I’d like not to throw Macrae, Rantall, Poulter down the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back