Preview Changes vs Hawthorn - Round 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything to read into Nelson and Cameron having a wrestle off ball? Worrying signs for mine

It's actually not the first time these two have "wrestled" each other, some issues here.

If everyone is okay and got through the game, no changes for mine. No soldiers coming back yet so let the team settle especially our younger backline that looked better the game went on.

Ainsworth probably in need of a run so he will probably go back to WAFL this week. I’d be keen for us to take over someone like Ah Chee as a sub as I think he can play a variety of roles so gives us good injury cover. But he’s also short of a run so WAFL a better option this week. So O’Neill probably gets the call up, unless we send over someone like Trew.

You can bet your bottom dollar Clarko will be prepping a nice little ambush.After the pizzling the Hawks have had this week they will be fired up.They will try to chip and run.In a way having a smaller more mobile defence can work for us.

I would take that in a heart beat. having our big guns back, less travel so they have better recovery playing back to back home games.
I'm in two minds. What you say is true, but we are at our low ebb now with injuries, so maybe it's better to bank a win at home and save the away game until we have the injured stars back.

I'm in two minds. What you say is true, but we are at our low ebb now with injuries, so maybe it's better to bank a win at home and save the away game until we have the injured stars back.

The logistics around consecutive away games is the only part that concerns me. Would we set up away from home, or just fly in and out of Perth more frequently than usual?

The logistics around consecutive away games is the only part that concerns me. Would we set up away from home, or just fly in and out of Perth more frequently than usual?

With the AFL chartering the flights i think a FIFO option like a lot of Melbourne teams did last year is the way to go. Yes the flights will not be good prep for playing but at least the players get back to their beds and family's and what not.

With the AFL chartering the flights i think a FIFO option like a lot of Melbourne teams did last year is the way to go. Yes the flights will not be good prep for playing but at least the players get back to their beds and family's and what not.

With 7 day breaks and chartered flights it's probably not too difficult to arrange. Fly out Saturday, fly home Sunday straight after the game.

The boys might even embrace it with understanding what the possible alternative is.

Club would surely prefer fly in and out, but the league would want a hub. I reckon the league would win.

How long can we debate Langdon? - seriously though he's exactly the player we needed last year. Depth role player that can contribute at the top level & puts pressure on our bottom 3-6 spots. Will likely never be in anyone's preferred b22 but that's OK.

I thought his game on the weekend was pretty good, good work rate & pressure - certainly not worth the lynching he's getting.
He made some mistakes but also made some decent position.
Could be one of those guys who reads the play well and therefore positions well but struggles to step up to AFL level due to having more pressure/less time to execute.

But.
If he continues to work hard and work defensively he could become something of a Cripps replacement. We don't need two slowish, defensive small forwards. We need two to three attacking smalls who can kick a couple per game on average and who can also defend (Rioli was good this way). I'd like that to be (including the bench rotation) Ryan, Rioli, Cameron/Winder. With all fit it would be hard for Langdon to get a gig, but maybe being the Cripps of 2017-18 re-incarnated could give him a point of difference.

But not Cripps AND Langdon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club would surely prefer fly in and out, but the league would want a hub. I reckon the league would win.

Freo have championed this fixture change to protect their income, which I'm sure the AFL respect and appreciate. Its not really about the risk of Covid spread (is my understanding). So why then would the league push for a mini hub? The planes must be far cheaper than the hub as well.

If Adelaide game gets swapped and everything else stays the same, that's 7 of last 10 games at home with 3 away games being Sydney @ SCG, Collingwood @ MCG and Brisbane @ Gabba last round before bye week. That would be the best possible finish to the season. Just need to go at worst 3-2 before bye then should be a very good chance for top 2/4

Wouldnt the cost of 3 flights be cheaper than 3 weeks in a hub + flying out the Adelaide & GWS if we say hubbed in Mlebourne.
Yeah but the cost of games having to be postponed/cancelled and/or us having to quarantine somewhere if we come home and Perth gets a lot worse while we're here is a lot more. It's not about the money, it's about mitigating risk.

Yeah but the cost of games having to be postponed/cancelled and/or us having to quarantine somewhere if we come home and Perth gets a lot worse while we're here is a lot more. It's not about the money, it's about mitigating risk.
If WC and Freo players are just told to stay home other than training what is the issue?

The AFL won't want a hub. Our games are in two different cities, so there is no efficiency. They'd also have to fork our for a hotel which cost them a fortune last year.

If Adelaide game gets swapped and everything else stays the same, that's 7 of last 10 games at home with 3 away games being Sydney @ SCG, Collingwood @ MCG and Brisbane @ Gabba last round before bye week. That would be the best possible finish to the season. Just need to go at worst 3-2 before bye then should be a very good chance for top 2/4
Not sure going 3-2 in the next 5 makes us a very good chance for top 4, let alone top 2. We should expect to win all of the next 5 games, dropping 1 at most if we're to be a chance come september. If we drop 2 games we'll only have room to drop 1 more game post bye to guarantee top 4 based off of the ladder positions in the last 4 years, and given our percentage has already taken a big hit we probably don't make top 4 if we finish the season with any more than 6 losses.

Games after the bye include Tigers and dogs at home, Sydney at the SCG, North at home, Crows away, Saints home, Pies away, Dees home, Derby and Brissy away to finish off. Knock on wood but I think we can safely assume we win against North, Crows, Saints, Pies and Freo with a healthier list in the 2nd half of the season. As much as it pains me to say, you can pencil in the SCG game as a loss given we haven't won there this century, Brissy at the GABBA in round 23 you can almost be sure will be a prime time night game, so I don't give us good odds of winning that either. Realistically that gives allows us 1 more loss between the next 5 games and Tigers/Dogs/Dees at home to be confident in top 4. 2 losses and we probably finish 5th on percentage again, and serious questions would need to be asked blowing 3 seasons in a row.

Wouldnt the cost of 3 flights be cheaper than 3 weeks in a hub + flying out the Adelaide & GWS if we say hubbed in Mlebourne.
States (the rest if AU) tend to match WA Govt directions or other states as the situation arises. ie - must wear mask, no crowd, etc = there is community spread so quarentine ???
Complex and well and truely unresolved. WA govt is the driver.

Not sure going 3-2 in the next 5 makes us a very good chance for top 4, let alone top 2. We should expect to win all of the next 5 games, dropping 1 at most if we're to be a chance come september. If we drop 2 games we'll only have room to drop 1 more game post bye to guarantee top 4 based off of the ladder positions in the last 4 years, and given our percentage has already taken a big hit we probably don't make top 4 if we finish the season with any more than 6 losses.

Games after the bye include Tigers and dogs at home, Sydney at the SCG, North at home, Crows away, Saints home, Pies away, Dees home, Derby and Brissy away to finish off. Knock on wood but I think we can safely assume we win against North, Crows, Saints, Pies and Freo with a healthier list in the 2nd half of the season. As much as it pains me to say, you can pencil in the SCG game as a loss given we haven't won there this century, Brissy at the GABBA in round 23 you can almost be sure will be a prime time night game, so I don't give us good odds of winning that either. Realistically that gives allows us 1 more loss between the next 5 games and Tigers/Dogs/Dees at home to be confident in top 4. 2 losses and we probably finish 5th on percentage again, and serious questions would need to be asked blowing 3 seasons in a row.
If 4 of next 5 games are away then 3-2 is not too bad a record, even against borderline top 8 teams such as GWS and Carlton

If the situation here gets worse there's no guarantee other states will let them in, even if they've been isolating at home.
Yeah but why would it get worse? 2 days with no new cases and only 7 active in the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back