Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see that but remember Roo saying on radio last year that Frost was a better shutdown defender than May

He essentially said, he'd be the defender you'd be most worried about coming up against at that time. May has been and always will be unfit, Lever was made to look like a champion by the role Adelaide gave him and McDonald is useless.

So i was just watching the 100 games highlights video for Frosty that the club put together and one of the highlights was just a clip of Frost elbowing Ablett... :tearsofjoy:

I see no issue.

Elbows him in the upper body, somewhere around his chest. Ablett goes down clutching at his abdomen. Business as usual.
Look closer ....
strike hits outer arm
Gblett at first clutches outer arm then as falling moves hand to clutching stomach .

Look closer ....
strike hits outer arm
Gblett at first clutches outer arm then as falling moves hand to clutching stomach .

I reckon he gets him flush across the arm/pec. Everyone knows how the nerves in that location run right down to the abdomen. At least that's what the Geelong lawyer would have argued had he been done for staging, which obviously would never happen. On a somewhat related note, Nice to see Papley got done for staging this week after everyone said Clarko was just a whinger when he said Papley was an expert stager. Seems AFL House agrees with Clarko - again.

Hawthorn’s Sam Frost thrills and frustrates fans in equal measure with his fearless, and sometimes foolhardy, dash out of defence for the Hawks.

There is no doubting he is great to watch but he doesn’t appear to have won the hearts of the umpires, who are yet to award him a free kick after seven rounds while paying 14 against him.

sauce:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nding-out-reality-checks-20210504-p57oo6.html

Pros.

Fast
strong.
Brave
Runs 25 and kicks to forward of centre

Cons.
Takes his eyes off the incoming high ball, wrestles his opponent front on with the ball nowhere within cooee, giving away repeated free kicks.
Handballs to team-mates' feet.
Short kicks within defensive 50
Takes his eyes off the incoming high ball, wrestles his opponent front on with the ball nowhere within cooee, giving away repeated free kicks.

Pros.

Fast
strong.
Brave
Runs 25 and kicks to forward of centre

Cons.
Handballs to team-mates' feet.
Short kicks within defensive 50
Yeah, agree. And I think he also takes his eyes off the incoming high ball, wrestles his opponent front on with the ball nowhere within cooee, giving away repeated free kicks.

Yeah, agree. And I think he also takes his eyes off the incoming high ball, wrestles his opponent front on with the ball nowhere within cooee, giving away repeated free kicks.
Yep, I should have mentioned that too...

He's not a KPD & we're rolling the dice playing him as one. Very handy lockdown BP.

He'll make a hectic pressure forward when we have Sicily, Scrimshaw, Day, Impey, Greaves & Hardwick all available as defensive options, complementing the KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a KPD & we're rolling the dice playing him as one. Very handy lockdown BP.

He'll make a hectic pressure forward when we have Sicily, Scrimshaw, Day, Impey, Greaves & Hardwick all available as defensive options, complementing the KPD.
Same height as DGB and Hartigan. Needs to improve his body work and become a KPD.

Same height as DGB and Hartigan. Needs to improve his body work and become a KPD.
Doesn't have an aerial game & won't be learning one at this age.

Why not use him for his strengths instead of constantly being frustrated by his weaknesses?

Can't fault him, but he's been really poor this year. The bad has been far outweighing the good. Sadly, we just don't have anyone else that can come in and compete like he does as a key defender. I'm not even sure Hartigan has been any better, and Hartley gets monstered at VFL level.

Ideally, Scrimshaw learns something from Frost's determination and competitiveness and in the future is able to stand forwards that his 6ft 3 height should allow.

Doesn't have an aerial game & won't be learning one at this age.

Why not use him for his strengths instead of constantly being frustrated by his weaknesses?
It's just body work where he struggles. He's got to work on that. His intercept marking is great and we need him in the backline for that.
Maybe he could play a bit off his man and use his leap and speed to halve some contests

It's just body work where he struggles. He's got to work on that. His intercept marking is great and we need him in the backline for that.
Maybe he could play a bit off his man and use his leap and speed to halve some contests
Not so much with Sicily, Scrimshaw, Impey, Hardwick, Day & even Hartigan. And DGB, I s'pose - if he works into that mix.

We need hectic paced forwards that will chase, tackle & scare opposition rebounding defenders.

You'd barely think twice if you had Hanrahan or Moore bearing down on you - just take your time, brush them off & run your full measure before clearing our F50m.

Can't fault him, but he's been really poor this year. The bad has been far outweighing the good. Sadly, we just don't have anyone else that can come in and compete like he does as a key defender. I'm not even sure Hartigan has been any better, and Hartley gets monstered at VFL level.

Ideally, Scrimshaw learns something from Frost's determination and competitiveness and in the future is able to stand forwards that his 6ft 3 height should allow.
I think you found a way...

Not so much with Sicily, Scrimshaw, Impey, Hardwick, Day & even Hartigan. And DGB, I s'pose - if he works into that mix.

We need hectic paced forwards that will chase, tackle & scare opposition rebounding defenders.

You'd barely think twice if you had Hanrahan or Moore bearing down on you - just take your time, brush them off & run your full measure before clearing our F50m.
Hardwick and Hartigan aren't intercept markers.
Day will eventually move up the ground, hopefully Scrim too.

If you wanted to move a player into the forward line for chasing and pressure, it would be Impey ahead of Frost.

We maybe lose to Adelaide without his mark against tex in the dying moments. His worst is shocking but his best is excellent. I think it’s mental, when we are under the pump he’s lacking in composure. Maybe tainted from too many gws and demon losses. Good coaching challenge for clarko - give him a solid system to fall back on in the crisis moments.

When Chip and Sicily were in he could play as the third tall defender and leave his man to intercept mark. As our second tall defender, that has been taken away a bit and been replaced with frees against. Can't recall when we've had a weaker key defender combo than Hartigan and Frost.

I used to rate him. But the turnovers in the corridor remind me of why the Dees got rid of him in the first place. Saturday was deadset painful to watch from him.
If he kicks long rather than short it'd be a different matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back