Sport The Hangar Fishing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The outer Henty is the one I was looking at, massive bommie rising up from 50m or so. Just screams kingfish. Actually that whole length of coast from Airys down to the cape looks pretty good and with only the ramps at Anglesea and Apollo Bay it can't be fished too heavily.

I need to suss out Wye River and Kennett River and see if a beach launch in the kayak is feasible there.
Try boneyards at low tide when there is very low swell and light offshore..northerly wind. It's about 5kms past Kennet River. It's a fairly calm and narrow channel that comes through the rocks to the shore...popular surfing spot when the swells up. We launched our tinnie and wood boats there for generations. My stomping ground as a kid and where I got the cray. Fish early or late around the back of the reefs where they go onto the sand and there will be lots of flatties and pinkies. Just be aware there are places where waves break if its real flat and a set comes through (pink house wave). If it's rougher they will be breaking the whole time and it's obvious there's a break there. The sugarloaf reef and its edges is a ripper...about 1km back towards lorne. I wouldn't bother trying to Kayak fish from Apollo Bay itself....most boats travel 5 or more kms from the harbour before they do well for some reason. Take your Surf rod and have a fish at boneyards if you want to sus it out first...fish from the left hand side on the rocks...as far out as the tide allows...pinkies, big whiting, salmon, trevally and more!

I have a 2 man hobie but my kids are not interested and Its a bit hard to handle by myself. I would be a tad hesitant using it in that area in that conditions can change bloody quickly and the swell can really change with the tides as well...make sure its like a mill pond.

Last edited:
Try boneyards at low tide when there is very low swell and light offshore..northerly wind. It's about 5kms past Kennet River. It's a fairly calm and narrow channel that comes through the rocks to the shore...popular surfing spot when the swells up. We launched our tinnie and wood boats there for generations. My stomping ground as a kid and where I got the cray. Fish early or late around the back of the reefs where they go onto the sand and there will be lots of flatties and pinkies. Just be aware there are places where waves break if its real flat and a set comes through (pink house wave). If it's rougher they will be breaking the whole time and it's obvious there's a break there. The sugarloaf reef and its edges is a ripper...about 1km back towards lorne. I wouldn't bother trying to Kayak fish from Apollo Bay itself....most boats travel 5 or more kms from the harbour before they do well for some reason. Take your Surf rod and have a fish at boneyards if you want to sus it out first...fish from the left hand side on the rocks...as far out as the tide allows...pinkies, big whiting, salmon, trevally and more!

I have a 2 man hobie but my kids are not interested and Its a bit hard to handle by myself. I would be a tad hesitant using it in that area in that conditions can change bloody quickly and the swell can really change with the tides as well...make sure its like a mill pond.

Covering a bit of distance in the kayak is no drama, the wave breaking across the entrance of the Apollo bay harbour could be interesting though!

I'll probably take the salmon rod and flick metals at a few spots along there to see what's happening.

I assume this is the spot you're referring to as the boneyard:
mcjm9i6.png

Covering a bit of distance in the kayak is no drama, the wave breaking across the entrance of the Apollo bay harbour could be interesting though!

I'll probably take the salmon rod and flick metals at a few spots along there to see what's happening.

I assume this is the spot you're referring to as the boneyard:
mcjm9i6.png
Yup thats it. And to the right you can see the wave breaking..thats the main one you will need to be wary of. Further across just where it says onion bay is the sugarloaf reef. Fished there millions of times....never caught a salmon on a lure there (not saying you cant)...but bait is the go in there.

You could also launch in Marengo (its really calm) and they do tours on kayaks there out to little henty....and just go along the back of the surfbeach waves flicking lures for salmon there. That would be pretty awesome when they are around.

Last edited:

Yup thats it. And to the right you can see the wave breaking..thats the main one you will need to be wary of. Further across just where it says onion bay is the sugarloaf reef. Fished there millions of times....never caught a salmon on a lure there (not saying you cant)...but bait is the go in there.

You could also launch in Marengo (its really calm) and they do tours on kayaks there out to little henty....and just go along the back of the surfbeach waves flicking lures for salmon there. That would be pretty awesome when they are around.
That notch in the rocks is probably too narrow for the kayaks, it would be ok on the way out but if a wave catches you on the way back in... lets just say they're not really well designed for surfing.

Marengo looks like a sick spot to put in though, lots of shelter courtesy of the reef and good access to some awesome looking water.

That notch in the rocks is probably too narrow for the kayaks, it would be ok on the way out but if a wave catches you on the way back in... lets just say they're not really well designed for surfing.

Marengo looks like a sick spot to put in though, lots of shelter courtesy of the reef and good access to some awesome looking water.
its about 25m wide...if you did it on low tide, there are no waves at all on calm days....Maybe small ones on the right but they are at least 100m past the end rocks...high tide is more dodgy. The chanel is s shaped and about 10m deep level with where the surfers are. Its about 10 ft deep at low tide level with the the end rocks. It would be doable if you knew the area well and picked your day.

We launched tinnies there forever and only once had a problem when the outboard stopped in the channel and we had to paddle like crazy with oars. I would have no trouble with my hobie on the right day. Hardest thing would be getting the *er up the steep beach and on my car by myself. Best you have a fish off the rocks and sus it out though.

its about 25m wide...if you did it on low tide, there are no waves at all on calm days....Maybe small ones on the right but they are at least 100m past the end rocks...high tide is more dodgy. The chanel is s shaped and about 10m deep level with where the surfers are. Its about 10 ft deep at low tide level with the the end rocks. It would be doable if you knew the area well and picked your day.

We launched tinnies there forever and only once had a problem when the outboard stopped in the channel and we had to paddle like crazy with oars. I would have no trouble with my hobie on the right day. Hardest thing would be getting the f***er up the steep beach and on my car by myself. Best you have a fish off the rocks and sus it out though.
Looks like a nice NNW wind on Friday afternoon, I might have a wander down after work.

Looks like a nice NNW wind on Friday afternoon, I might have a wander down after work.
You've got light winds for Thu and Fri...rising tide though (it is nice to get out on the end rocks). Fish from the left side and far out as you can. There is a bigger rock half way out that you can get on at about half tide (about a foot or so deep you have to wade through). Leave your bucket at the rocks behind that if there's waves about just in case. There are rocks on the left near the shore if your back further. Must fish on the sand or parrot fish will destroy you and you will also break off. 4 ounce bomb, paternoster rig. about 20lb line (10/12 foot surf rod). 2/O hook and strip of squid probably best (blue bait good too or pippies with a no4 long shank for whiting..whiting will take the squid..caught whiting getting close to 45cm there!). Just use 1 hook though...you will lose quality fish with 2 hooks as you bring them over/through weed. Good luck!

On Marengo it is a marine park around that seal colony but I think you can fish along the back of the surf beach.

Last edited:
I'll probably just take the 9' surf rod and yeet some slugs around I think, I'll stop at a few places along the road to check if they're any good for launching the yak so I don't want to have too much s**t on me.

I'm set up for moving around with all my gear - spare lures, leader, snips, pliers - in a little bum bag and I have a rope for stringing any fish I decide to keep.

I've walked the length of 13th beach and Gunnamatta like that, it's a really fun way to fish until you realise you've got to drag 20kg of salmon back to the car.

Hi all, please follow my new instagram page. We'll be reviewing various fishing, camping and hiking spots across Victoria. 90 mile beach, Gippsland lakes, Bass coast just some of the areas we frequent. 😀👍

20211004_212545.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back