Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2019 stats:

Fiorini - 22 disposals & 5 tackles.

Brodie- 25 disposals & 5 tackles.

If they played for us in 2021, they would be our best midfielders.
I don't mind Collingwood trading for someone like Brodie OR Fiorini, but no way you should be giving away a valuable pick for 1 of them.
You couldn't have 2 plodders like that on the large MCG - other teams midfielders would just run away from them on the turnover.

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Bont still unsigned. The Treloar and Dunkley salaries must be burning a hole in their pockets

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What if we trade our next years first?

I’ve been thinking about a way we can best utilise our future picks while still acquiring Daicos & other players.

IMO, we will finish higher next year than we will this year.

Out: 2022 1st pick

In: GCS 2nd round pick & a combination of Will Brodie, Brayden Fironi, Sam
Flanders, Jeremy Sharp (2 or 3).

Basically anyone 24 or under who can’t get a game in that young developing team.

Example:

We lose pick 7

We get pick 28 & 3 best 22 players.

We’ll already have a very young list with all the draftees from the previous 2 years, Daicos & Dib this year.

Fiorini & Brodie slot into our midfield and make us better in the short / medium term with the hope they turn into B+ level player or are overtaken by draftees.

GCS obviously hoping we finish bottom 3.

Absolutely disastrous idea.

The list is in a parlous state, and is paper thin, precisely because we keep trading away our first round picks. Two pick 7s for Treloar, two first rounders for Beams Etc. The absolute last thing we should do is make the same mistake again. Time to take our medicine and invest in the draft, do the hard yards. Recruiting some ready made players isn’t a bad idea, but that’s what free agency is for. Leave our first round pick alone. Indeed, leave it alone for a few years...

Petracca gone, long term deal reported. That leaves Kelly and Merrett as options to fix our midfield woes
Kelly has an option on a mega deal at GWS that no one else will be able to get close to. He would be crazy to leave.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely disastrous idea.

The list is in a parlous state, and is paper thin, precisely because we keep trading away our first round picks. Two pick 7s for Treloar, two first rounders for Beams Etc. The absolute last thing we should do is make the same mistake again. Time to take our medicine and invest in the draft, do the hard yards. Recruiting some ready made players isn’t a bad idea, but that’s what free agency is for. Leave our first round pick alone. Indeed, leave it alone for a few years...

What if we go into deficit for Daicos?

Example:

Our pick 7 after deficit goes down to pick 12 or so.

Pick 12 or pick 25, Fiorni, Brodie & Flanders.

Pick 25 might eaten away by Daicos bid. However, we still get 2 decent players & 1 young midfielder who’s been in the system for 2 years.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Kelly has an option on a mega deal at GWS that no one else will be able to get close to. He would be crazy to leave.
He can continue with GWS and retire into obscurity, or take a pay cut come to the pies and set himself up for a life after football...either in the media or something else. I would normally say if he wants to win a premiership he should come over too, but that’s not a good selling point at the moment. Although as we know it can quickly turn.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Beams made it pretty clear that they were willing to overload the cap in an attempt to win with the group. Probably would have offered more to Lynch got him, not won the flag and gotten into a pretty similar position cap wise, but with Lynch and whatever we drafted or traded with the DeGoey picks on the list instead of JDG we'd be in a better position now. .
If we got Lynch I find it hard to see us not winning the flag.

He can continue with GWS and retire into obscurity, or take a pay cut come to the pies and set himself up for a life after football...either in the media or something else. I would normally say if he wants to win a premiership he should come over too, but that’s not a good selling point at the moment. Although as we know it can quickly turn.
Pretty sure you can set yourself up well with $8m too.

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What if we go into deficit for Daicos?

Example:

Our pick 7 after deficit goes down to pick 12 or so.

Pick 12 or pick 25, Fiorni, Brodie & Flanders.

Pick 25 might eaten away by Daicos bid. However, we still get 2 decent players & 1 young midfielder who’s been in the system for 2 years.

I‘d be taking a strategy to protect our 2022 pick, so we don’t go into deficit. We need that pick 7. It’s vital to the rebuild. Trade a B/C grader (or 2) for 3rd rounders. Replace the loss of experience through free agents. We are in rebuild mode, time to think long term, rebuild through the draft for a few years. No more short cuts

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What if we trade our next years first?

I’ve been thinking about a way we can best utilise our future picks while still acquiring Daicos & other players.

IMO, we will finish higher next year than we will this year.

Out: 2022 1st pick

In: GCS 2nd round pick & a combination of Will Brodie, Brayden Fironi, Sam
Flanders, Jeremy Sharp (2 or 3).

Basically anyone 24 or under who can’t get a game in that young developing team.

Example:

We lose pick 7

We get pick 28 & 3 best 22 players.

We’ll already have a very young list with all the draftees from the previous 2 years, Daicos & Dib this year.

Fiorini & Brodie slot into our midfield and make us better in the short / medium term with the hope they turn into B+ level player or are overtaken by draftees.

GCS obviously hoping we finish bottom 3.
What the * do we want with Brodie? He has zero hurt factor just accumulates with out any impact

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, that’s why I didn’t feel that terrible disappointment when we lost that prelim. Losing another GF, & to the Tiggers would of been just unbearable.

GWS was an exhausted team just as we would have if we’d won that slog fest PF - and I agree we would have lost, but for that reason only. In other circumstances I think we would have had the psychological edge, and probably won.

2019 stats:

Fiorini - 22 disposals & 5 tackles.

Brodie- 25 disposals & 5 tackles.

If they played for us in 2021, they would be our best midfielders.
I can quote Pendles and Sidey and Adams stats from 2019 too if you’d like. They mean Jack all though, because it’s not 2019 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back