Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Problem with Hartlett now was laid to bare sat night. So Burton goes off, sure its not an ideal replacement as a matchup for Charlie Cameron, but the fact that Hartlett wasnt sent to his is a bit of a worry. It makes you wonder what does he offer anymore. He not super quick, his kick is big but misses targets. He tries the faux tough guy stuff to compensate. I still think he plays some games here and there, but hes not first choice, and he needs to pay for poor form this week i think + be dropped to the magoos.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Problem with Hartlett now was laid to bare sat night. So Burton goes off, sure its not an ideal replacement as a matchup for Charlie Cameron, but the fact that Hartlett wasnt sent to his is a bit of a worry. It makes you wonder what does he offer anymore. He not super quick, his kick is big but misses targets. He tries the faux tough guy stuff to compensate. I still think he plays some games here and there, but hes not first choice, and he needs to pay for poor form this week i think + be dropped to the magoos.
He's got no finesse. He always seems rushed and panics with the footy.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah see that's not my understanding at all. In fact I was under the impression it was the exact opposite and he was told to go looking by the club. Against his wishes. Got an interview with Essendon I thought

Someone more in the know than me might be able to clarify.

Yeah, Hamish loves the club and never wanted to leave at any stage.

I understand the frustration people have with the guy right now, but let's not make things up.

Yeah, Hamish loves the club and never wanted to leave at any stage.

I understand the frustration people have with the guy right now, but let's not make things up.

Wasn't the story that he had an interview with Essendon and let it be known that he wasn't interested in moving clubs. I'm pretty certain that was Hartlett.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wasn't the story that he had an interview with Essendon and let it be known that he wasn't interested in moving clubs. I'm pretty certain that was Hartlett.

I think it all stsrted with Melbourne radio suggesting a couple of Melbourne clubs were interested followed by the club suggesting he was free to go look at his options.
It ended with Hinkley giving Hartlett some "home truths" over a game of golf and Hartlett staying. Something like that. But at no stage did Hartlett want to leave.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is the final year of Hammer's long 5 year deal. If we keep playing him he will get a 1 year deal.

can't see him going round again next year. i think we will have more than enough depth to cover him so i think that'll be it at the end of this year

DustyWrap

Draftee
Jan 30, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Let's not death ride his downfall as a footballer. Let the year play out and see where he lands. if this is his last year, I want him to go out and leave nothing on the table. If he's not up to scratch, he moves on to a media gig on triple M or something. He knows its probably his last year, if it is, we should be celebrating him. Go Hammer

Hamish wasn’t in my best 22 at the start of the season. Jones offers everything that Hartlett can do but better.

Like Rockliff, you keep him for depth as your challenging but he just doesn’t have the wheels for the modern game. Time marches on.

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He tries the faux tough guy stuff to compensate.

Hartlett is as brave as they come these days. I've seen him go hard at contests without a second thought, stand in front of leading forwards etc etc.
I don't see any faux tough guy stuff from him.

Still think he had a great season last season, and apart from a horror half against West Coast and a horror half against one other team recently, he's been pretty solid. Yes, he has made mistakes - but so has everyone else. It's just confirmation bias when he does it.

I do think Lachie Jones will replace him eventually, whether that be later this year or next year is anyones bet - but especially with our current injury list, he probably stays in.

Side note, did they ever show what exactly happened to reverse that free kick?

I still remember everyone calling a premature end to Boakys career. Seems like some, still like to throw the old toys in the bin for the latest gadget.
We quickly found out that Travis Boak isn't a forward flanker. What's Hartlett's excuse?

I still remember everyone calling a premature end to Boakys career. Seems like some, still like to throw the old toys in the bin for the latest gadget.
1620126503364.png

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We quickly found out that Travis Boak isn't a forward flanker. What's Hartlett's excuse?
Perhaps the prob lies in the failure to recognise that players shouldnt come back into the firsts after an interrupted pre season. He hasnt been up to par from his return and should have been allowed to find form and fitness in the ressies. He is a classic confidence player and the blame falls with selection committee.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Perhaps the prob lies in the failure to recognise that players shouldnt come back into the firsts after an interrupted pre season. He hasnt been up to par from his return and should have been allowed to find form and fitness in the ressies. He is a classic confidence player and the blame falls with selection committee.
Yea, 150+ game players "finding form in the ressies" is a complete myth these days - the gap between SANFL and AFL is far too great.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Hartlett is as brave as they come these days. I've seen him go hard at contests without a second thought, stand in front of leading forwards etc etc.
I don't see any faux tough guy stuff from him.

Still think he had a great season last season, and apart from a horror half against West Coast and a horror half against one other team recently, he's been pretty solid. Yes, he has made mistakes - but so has everyone else. It's just confirmation bias when he does it.

I do think Lachie Jones will replace him eventually, whether that be later this year or next year is anyones bet - but especially with our current injury list, he probably stays in.

Side note, did they ever show what exactly happened to reverse that free kick?
Hartlett faux tough guy act reversed the free kick. He went up stupidly to Robinson and knocked him over. Pure stupidity.

I have been a big fam of hammer. I have loved what he's brought to the club in terms of passion, commitment and hardness. My point now is that, he is wanting for pace and he seems to be looking to try and continue to add something to the team by way of overdoing it in terms of physicality. Anyway, i hope i am wrong, but i think hes very much on the edge of the side right now.

Back