Review Good Bad and Ugly vs GWS - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I called them workhorses.. and there is definately a position for a couple of workhorse types in any team and in any AA team/squad..

Sloane and Mcrouch are workhorse type midfielders.. not elite, classy ball users..

I wouldnt put either of sloane or matt in the same category of midfielder as a Bontempelli, Martin, Kelly, Selwood, Gray etc etc type mid.. guys that you know when they get the ball just seem to have all the time and space in the world and 9 times out of 10 make the right decision and dispose of the ball just about perfectly.

sloane, Mcrouch, keays, laird just simply arent elite mids with classy disposal.. and I’m certainly not writing them off.. like I said, they are more the workhorse type and we definately need the workhorse type.. we just dont need all four of them. We need two of them and we need to mix and match them with a couple of elite classy types.
These classy ball user midfielders you talk of, put some names up.

These classy ball user midfielders you talk of, put some names up.
I'd say we will be drafting them.

Or if a miracle happens and Josh Kelly decides he wants to play here.

The thing is most of the really top midfielders aren't the greatest ball users.

One only needs to look at Dangerfield, Petracca, Fyfe, Oliver, Cripps etc , even Dusty, classy ball users are nice to have no doubt but give me an impactful midfielder every day of the week over that. We have no impactful mids currently any way you slice it.

Yep.. the best we can do is draft them unfortunately..

Unless we compromise the hell out of our salary cap and throw massive coin at one.. even then we’d be lucky to get one..

what if we threw a nice juicy contract in front of Elijah Hollands next year, something that isnt over the top but at the same time an amount gold coast simply cant match.. try to pry him out of gold coast if he is stuck behind their midfield trying to get a game..

grab the best midfielder in this years draft and elijah hollands or similar next year with the freed up coin in our cap..

Our number 1 issue is midfield talent.

Mid season draft won't fix that.

Going forward we have some decent bookends.

But still one of the worst midfield in the comp, and really I still cant see who is going to be our elite mid.

Pedlar, Berry, Scholl could get there. Scholl, as an outside mid (wing) is most likely.

The rest are workman.

Next two drafts Ogilvy needs to nail this area.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We need to go to free agency with a big cheque book in 3 years time.

Unless we compromise the hell out of our salary cap and throw massive coin at one.. even then we’d be lucky to get one..

what if we threw a nice juicy contract in front of Elijah Hollands next year, something that isnt over the top but at the same time an amount gold coast simply cant match.. try to pry him out of gold coast if he is stuck behind their midfield trying to get a game..

grab the best midfielder in this years draft and elijah hollands or similar next year with the freed up coin in our cap..
I'd like to see how he progresses next year. I've largely written him off this year as I see it as getting himself right then maybe 6-8 good games into him.

We rated the kid so I'm sure we'll keep tabs on him.

The thing is most of the really top midfielders aren't the greatest ball users.

One only needs to look at Dangerfield, Petracca, Fyfe, Oliver, Cripps etc , even Dusty, classy ball users are nice to have no doubt but give me an impactful midfielder every day of the week over that. We have no impactful mids currently any way you slice it.
Yeah I'm more along those lines myself. Give me the burst and the power out of stoppage.

Need our mids to be a bit more flexible too, show a good ability to push forward

It’s easy to say that he played the easiest decision but who else did that?? No one, he was the only one to provide run. Nicks has made a plan in his head that he must play X number of experience to help them learn. If it’s Mackay or Kelly or whoever, just deal with it and stop stressing if Mackay plays or not. Rebuilds take time unless you want to be Melbourne or Carlton and take 10+ years

I love the Melbourne or Carlton claims. Just infantile rubbish, but does provide a laugh now and then.

Just watched the game, some how managed to avoid all scores and social media until this morning. Why when we win and I watch the game late can I not manage this!

Our midfield got pummeled. We have an AA defender, a guy who couldnt get a game last year and half the supporters thought should be delisted soon, and a delisted half forward Lion who was supposed to just be depth as our main mids. These go with McHenry, Schoey, Sholl, Hately, Berry with an average experience of 12 games and 20 years of age.

This was against Taranto (pick 2), Hopper (pick 7), Kelly (pick 2), Perryman (pick 14), Ward (pick 19), Whitfield (pick 1), Tom Green (pick 10). Average age of 26 and average games experience of 108 games.

There is only so much our mids can do at this stage of their career. They need a Sloane type to lead them.

Its also disappointing young 2nd game defender Murray can provide a better target in 1 quarter than most our forwards could for the entire game.

Thought Murray looked a likely type up forward. Why we needed him up there is a mystery though. Surely Tex, Filthy and Berg is enough supposed marking power.

Our defensive action right across the field broke down completely at times in this game. First time this season we've really been opened up.

GWS were able to run and move the ball with speed, minimal pressure on the ball carrier.

Left our defenders exposed, running back towards goal, too much space to protect.

I think it was just a young team hitting the wall to a degree. Maybe the six day break and deflating loss last week contributed but we just didn't seem as intense around the ball.

Hopefully can regroup this week because there really weren't any positives from the weekend. Win or lose, you want to take some good things out of each game and see some signs of progress.

The good news is that we earned at least 20 more continuity credits. Getting close to peak performance now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his poor goal kicking is more of his problem having to double grab for marks. I like his mobility to get to contests.
Double-fumble, more like.
What's the relationship between his poor kicking for goal and dropping marks, or do you mean that he doesn't get a shot at goal when he drops a mark?

I like the way Travis Head throws his bat hard at wide balls --- great intent --- except it nearly always gets him out :sneaky: .

Double-fumble, more like.
What's the relationship between his poor kicking for goal and dropping marks, or do you mean that he doesn't get a shot at goal when he drops a mark?

I like the way Travis Head throws his bat hard at wide balls --- great intent --- except it nearly always gets him out :sneaky: .

Meaning when he has a set shot for goal that he should gets, he misses. Yes the dropped marks irk me as well. But those missed sitters really get up my nose.
We should play him either as a ruckman and shift ROB to CHB and bring McAsey in to play CHF. Alternative is to drop EH and play Strachan as the ruck and make the other moves IMO.

Meaning when he has a set shot for goal that he should gets, he misses. Yes the dropped marks irk me as well. But those missed sitters really get up my nose.
We should play him either as a ruckman and shift ROB to CHB and bring McAsey in to play CHF. Alternative is to drop EH and play Strachan as the ruck and make the other moves IMO.
Missed kicks for goal that are under pressure, on or outside the 50m arc, or really tight angles are understandable. Forgivable. But you're right, those missed sitters especially not making the distance or going ootf from up to 35-40m @ no angle are infuriating.
Himmelberg as ruckman, RoB to CHB :oops: :oops: :oops: , McAsey @ CHF, all yeah-but-nah.
Berg ain't no ruckman. RoB ain't no CHF (his kicking is woeful, for starters). McAsey has been playing as a backman in the SANFL, hasn't he? What's his preferred poz? Where'd he play for Sandringham Dragons, anyone know?
Drop Himmelberg? I'd want to, but who do you bring in to replace him? Not Frampton!
Is Strachan >> RoB? I doubt it.

I agree, throw a 5 year deal (I know, right!) at Hollands and Stephens on decent coin. You can only imagine Hollands is a little wary of his knee holding up, so the long term deal might be a nice little carrot.

Dylan Stephens, the wing is all yours opposite Lachie Sholl. Come on home!

In the meanwhile we should be front loading as many of our younger players on longer deals....
This I'm sure we are doing...for those who are on 3+ year deals, but we know what this board thinks of those deals.

But it's hard to create cap windows if your deals are only 2 years in length.

I think we may find that Tex being uninjured for a couple of games was an aberration. He is back to his 2019-2020 form whether that's because of injury or decline or both. Club needs to make a call on him this year.
He's sucking because we're back to dumping the ball on his head and he has shown repeatedly in those scenarios he'll try and play the man, everyone knows it and it's easy to sag off for a second when he tries to make contact and throw him out the contest.

First 4 weeks most everything was out in front of him where he could lead into it because we could move the ball quicker, cleaner and we had open space in our F50. Our midfield is getting pummeled now and when we do get it we slowly work our way forward around the boundary for safety so not to turn immediately turn it over or are under so much pressure we just hack kick it to the contest.

The entire reason we threw Murray forward was because the only way we could score at that point was by someone taking a mark, so we put as much marking power down there as possible. The reason Nicks is complaining about shallow F50 entries is because we weren't marking, couldn't win the ground ball and around the F50 metre line it just takes one quick opposition possession to get the ball into the corridor and open the field up to attack. At least if it's a deep entry you may be able to have time to set up your defence or get your forwards in place to try and lock it in. We couldn't do either against GWS.

At this point it's not going to make a huge difference to who is in the forward line, not unless we can get the midfield working better than it has in 2 out of our last 3 games.

I agree, throw a 5 year deal (I know, right!) at Hollands and Stephens on decent coin. You can only imagine Hollands is a little wary of his knee holding up, so the long term deal might be a nice little carrot.

Dylan Stephens, the wing is all yours opposite Lachie Sholl. Come on home!
We should be long term signing or extending any of our young talent we think will be part of our future.

Schoenberg
Sholl
Hamill
Etc

Front load them & allow them to setup their financial security with front loaded deals... & we setup our cap to raid free agents or others in a few years.

We should be long term signing or extending any of our young talent we think will be part of our future.

Schoenberg
Sholl
Hamill
Etc

Front load them & allow them to setup their financial security with front loaded deals... & we setup our cap to raid free agents or others in a few years.
And have them do what Gibbs did to the Blues?

And have them do what Gibbs did to the Blues?
If they want to leave their contract early, then they either pay money back... or we get better trade value for them...like Carlton did with Gibbs!

Strategic thinking...

If they want to leave their contract early, then they either pay money back... or we get better trade value for them...like Carlton did with Gibbs!

Strategic thinking...
Strategic thinking = Blind faith.

And interested club's are highly unlikely to have a CEO instructing the list manager to just get the deal done whatever it costs.

Schoenberg
Sholl
Hamill
Etc

Jones
Milera
ROB

Imagine the melts if we put a 4 year deal in front of McAsey or Hamill atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back