Review Good Bad and Ugly vs GWS - Rd 7 2021

Strategic thinking = Blind faith.

And interested club's are highly unlikely to have a CEO instructing the list manager to just get the deal done whatever it costs.
Where did I say whatever it takes?

s**t, you blow things out of all proportions sometimes... as I never suggested this.

All I suggested was we sign up our best young talent to long term front loaded contracts... that would allow us to better manage our cap in the future & retain our best young talent.

Reference to Gibbs I think
How does a 29 year old Gibbs on big $'s compare to a player in their early 20's on less $'s...

That's a ridiculous comparison!

What have we got to lose by signing up some our best YOUNG talent to longer front loaded deals?

Allow them to buy a home now & settle here.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
Missed kicks for goal that are under pressure, on or outside the 50m arc, or really tight angles are understandable. Forgivable. But you're right, those missed sitters especially not making the distance or going ootf from up to 35-40m @ no angle are infuriating.
Himmelberg as ruckman, RoB to CHB :oops: :oops: :oops: , McAsey @ CHF, all yeah-but-nah.
Berg ain't no ruckman. RoB ain't no CHF (his kicking is woeful, for starters). McAsey has been playing as a backman in the SANFL, hasn't he? What's his preferred poz? Where'd he play for Sandringham Dragons, anyone know?
Drop Himmelberg? I'd want to, but who do you bring in to replace him? Not Frampton!
Is Strachan >> RoB? I doubt it.

ROB to play CH Back. He played there in his draft year because their ruck was considered to be better. Think it was young Nick Bryan. You would have to ask Bicks for that.
ROB was doing really well at that. Great mark as a defender.Strachan is at least a true ruck. Frampton and EH are pinch hitters at best. McAsey has played a lot as a KPF in his junior days. Switched to defender in his last 2 years prior to getting drafted.
Strachan is a better ruck but nowhere near as good as ROB around the ground. One thing he is and that is quicker, so he may get to the contests a little easier.
I kow it would be considered a stretch but hey we're struggling at the moment. I'm sick of watching EH and Frampton miss easy set shots, along with young Berry, even McAdam is no certainty.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
ROB to play CH Back. He played there in his draft year because their ruck was considered to be better. Think it was young Nick Bryan. You would have to ask Bicks for that.
ROB was doing really well at that. Great mark as a defender.Strachan is at least a true ruck. Frampton and EH are pinch hitters at best. McAsey has played a lot as a KPF in his junior days. Switched to defender in his last 2 years prior to getting drafted.
Strachan is a better ruck but nowhere near as good as ROB around the ground. One thing he is and that is quicker, so he may get to the contests a little easier.
I kow it would be considered a stretch but hey we're struggling at the moment. I'm sick of watching EH and Frampton miss easy set shots, along with young Berry, even McAdam is no certainty.
Gee, talk about reactive!

ROB was beaten by Mumford on the weekend, but he's in the top half dozen rucks in the comp.

Strachan is a 25 yo beanpole who needs another 2 years on the weights before before moving to AFL level.

He would be #5 ruck on our list behind ROB, Billy, Berg and RT...oh, and Tex!

Last edited:

ROB was beaten by Mumford on the weekend, but he's in the top half dozen rucks in the comp.

Strachan is a 25 yo beanpole who needs another 2 years on the weights before before moving to AFL level.

What was with that? Mumford has been completely cooked for years now - even the spudliest rucks usually rack up big numbers against him. ROB should have eaten him for breakfast but looked like he didn't really want to be out there.

That Hawks loss really cooked us didn't it?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
What was with that? Mumford has been completely cooked for years now - even the spudliest rucks usually rack up big numbers against him. ROB should have eaten him for breakfast but looked like he didn't really want to be out there.

That Hawks loss really cooked us didn't it?
ROB looked cooked from the start of the match...but he wasn't alone.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Where did I say whatever it takes?

sh*t, you blow things out of all proportions sometimes... as I never suggested this.

All I suggested was we sign up our best young talent to long term front loaded contracts... that would allow us to better manage our cap in the future & retain our best young talent.
Yeah but it means Crouchson is gone and that makes mutineer unhappy when people disrespect his kids

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Not Nick Bryan he was last year's draft mate.

I think you might be referring to Calder Cannon Mark Kovacevic who went on to play VFL.

The reason ROB was switched to CHB that year was that the Cannons CHB Jake Lever went down with an ACL

Last edited:

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
... it would be considered a stretch but hey we're struggling at the moment. I'm sick of watching EH and Frampton miss easy set shots, along with young Berry, even McAdam is no certainty.
Yeh, me too.
Berg/Frampton/Berry/McAdam ... McHenry/ even Keays vs. Hawthorn, crucially, last quarter, and others.
Near miss or hit the post, meh; but ootf or not make the distance, or kick way across the goalface, it's :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: .

Jones
Milera
ROB

Imagine the melts if we put a 4 year deal in front of McAsey or Hamill atm.

Or the real lack of.

There is always a risk with contracts, but if you think a kid is going to be an integral part of your future, you offer it.

We got overs for Gov... because he was under contract.

Hmmm....

And Carlton played Gibbs perfectly. Got his best years, then got 2 firsts for him.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins

Rubbish!

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
Which part?

Strachan being the #5 ruckman. Nowhere did I say Strachan was a better ruck than ROB.Get that right, here and now. What I suggested was alternatives. ROB can play CHB very well. Neither Frampton nor EH is impressing us this year. they're forwards and can ruck at a pinch. Strachan is the BU ruck to ROB. Try young McAsey/Worrell down forward. Fogarty is transitioning to a midfielder so he won't be a forward. This season is to try different things, not just moan and groan.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Strachan being the #5 ruckman. Nowhere did I say Strachan was a better ruck than ROB.Get that right, here and now. What I suggested was alternatives. ROB can play CHB very well. Neither Frampton nor EH is impressing us this year. they're forwards and can ruck at a pinch. Strachan is the BU ruck to ROB. Try young McAsey/Worrell down forward. Fogarty is transitioning to a midfielder so he won't be a forward. This season is to try different things, not just moan and groan.
My mistake.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like different thinking, and agree this is the year to look at it, but personally I don't believe Strachan is the answer.

ROB is a very good ruck and while he was pantsed on the weekend, an improved midfield will help our clearance numbers.

I can't see the need for Billy or Berg ATM, with RT the back up ruck IMO and hopefully Fog out of the goal square.

Worrell seems to be doing really well at HB, bring him up to AFL level in that role and we'll see how Fischer goes for a bit in the SANFL as a KPD.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry to intrude. I have a soft spot for berg minor .... but I see he’s copping a fair bit of stick for the weekend. Is it only me or wasn’t he out cold for a few seconds in the 2nd qtr ( from memory) after landing heavily? I thought he should have been assessed but was let play on with no further impact on the game

Back