Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You should listen to people younger than you sometimes Joffa, it may give you a better perspective :)

The players in question are of an age group that played a game where if someone made that symbol and you looked, you got punched. It was a silly high school game that was around when they were growing up and it had been around for years before that, as I am older than them and experienced it myself.

In the image there's also an indigenous player doing it and there's indigenous players standing in that image. The first time I saw the picture I immediately thought about the circle game, if you are of the age group you would've picked up on it pretty much immediately too.

If the intention of the gesture was white supremacy there wouldn't be indigenous players either taking part in it (as seen in the image) or standing there willfully accepting it and not taking issue with it either then or afterwards (as evidenced by no commentary from teammates about it whatsoever or anyone else on opposition teams).

The only ones that took it straight to an issue of racism were those in the media and they did so either disingenuously to get clicks, or they are completely out of touch with people of that age group. Probably a mixture, but if you are mid 30's and under there's a good chance you'd know about it. Depending on the age of the journo it's either one of the two.

Just because a symbol may have multiple meanings doesn't mean one meaning must always supplant the other meaning. Context & intent is important.

With that said, and with the supporting evidence available, if you still believe it was a nod to white supremacy then you are like the journo's reporting on it - either being deliberately disingenuous, or out of touch with people that age.

My opinion is that the media did it deliberately to get clicks knowing full well what the intentions of the gesture were, and that you are just out of touch on this issue.
Spot on. I coached an under 18's side a couple if years back that did this in every photo. None were Nazis that I know of.

The media would have known this but pushed the story anyway.

Spot on. I coached an under 18's side a couple if years back that did this in every photo. None were Nazis that I know of.

The media would have known this but pushed the story anyway.
100% mate. Even after the Eagles players explained what it was the damage was already done because the gutter journalists ran with the story anyway.

It's a stupid game that's been in schools for at least 15 years.

100% mate. Even after the Eagles players explained what it was the damage was already done because the gutter journalists ran with the story anyway.

What happened to the good old days of just sniffing permanent markers? Now it's all gang signs and queer ice creams apparently

What happened to the good old days of just sniffing permanent markers? Now it's all gang signs and queer ice creams apparently
Dickheads at my school had a game that if you thought of the game you lost the game.

We also did that 99 bottles of beer on the wall song on a 3 hour bus ride back from a school footy game that I embarrassingly was a part of. First and only time I'll ever finish that song.

Dickheads at my school had a game that if you thought of the game you lost the game.

We also did that 99 bottles of beer on the wall song on a 3 hour bus ride back from a school footy game that I embarrassingly was a part of. First and only time I'll ever finish that song.

I remember some fainting thing we did as idiot early teenagers where we stood up real fast, crossed our arms and someone pushed on our chest...that was all fun and games until someone hit the deck, broke their jaw and lost some teeth...you live, you learn as they say...

Blokes at high school would strangle each other until just before blackout (the high), but would often pass over into full blackout. Those blokes are now eagles supporters.

You should listen to people younger than you sometimes Joffa, it may give you a better perspective :)

The players in question are of an age group that played a game where if someone made that symbol and you looked, you got punched. It was a silly high school game that was around when they were growing up and it had been around for years before that, as I am older than them and experienced it myself.

In the image there's also an indigenous player doing it and there's indigenous players standing in that image. The first time I saw the picture I immediately thought about the circle game, if you are of the age group you would've picked up on it pretty much immediately too.

If the intention of the gesture was white supremacy there wouldn't be indigenous players either taking part in it (as seen in the image) or standing there willfully accepting it and not taking issue with it either then or afterwards (as evidenced by no commentary from teammates about it whatsoever or anyone else on opposition teams).

The only ones that took it straight to an issue of racism were those in the media and they did so either disingenuously to get clicks, or they are completely out of touch with people of that age group. Probably a mixture, but if you are mid 30's and under there's a good chance you'd know about it. Depending on the age of the journo it's either one of the two.

Just because a symbol may have multiple meanings doesn't mean one meaning must always supplant the other meaning. Context & intent is important.

With that said, and with the supporting evidence available, if you still believe it was a nod to white supremacy then you are like the journo's reporting on it - either being deliberately disingenuous, or out of touch with people that age.

My opinion is that the media did it deliberately to get clicks knowing full well what the intentions of the gesture were, and that you are just out of touch on this issue.
It’s easy to paint things as racist or sexist when they aren’t, just so you have a low hanging target to be outraged at so everyone can see just how much you don’t like those things. It’s moral grandstanding most of the time, but sometimes it’s just ignorance with good intentions.

It’s easy to paint things as racist or sexist when they aren’t, just so you have a low hanging target to be outraged at so everyone can see just how much you don’t like those things. It’s moral grandstanding most of the time, but sometimes it’s just ignorance with good intentions.
Yeah think Joffa is the latter and the media the former with a touch of s**t stirring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Joffaboy was joking.

In fact I still do.

I PMd him to find out and will keep you guys posted.

5 is getting off lightly for Paddy but the tribunal is almost like a criminal court where they take into consideration the damage done.

Given it wasn’t a broken jaw scenario like Gaff on Brayshaw it would always be less.

I didn’t like him blaming the low blood sugar as contributory to his actions though. I mean if that kind of snap can happen due to his condition that could lead to him assaulting someone on the field......probably shouldn’t be playing.

Longer - apparently started in the 70's or 80's. Played it in primary school in the 90's. Was popularised in Malcolm in the Middle in 2000.

Media got trolled hard and they were complicit hahah

So incredibly ignorant.

It is not the old OK sign. It is purposely inverted and has been adopted by white supremacists.
The truth might be difficult for you but there it is.

Raising your arm.up was an old Romsn salute but was adopted by fascists.

Would you be comfortable footballers doing that to say the Saints crowd who have many Jewish supporters?

Actions mean things. But it is easier to remain ignorant I suppose
Trust you to be sucked in by this. Lol

5 is getting off lightly for Paddy but the tribunal is almost like a criminal court where they take into consideration the damage done.

Given it wasn’t a broken jaw scenario like Gaff on Brayshaw it would always be less.

I didn’t like him blaming the low blood sugar as contributory to his actions though. I mean if that kind of snap can happen due to his condition that could lead to him assaulting someone on the field......probably shouldn’t be playing.
That's exactly what the guys on AFL360 said, almost word for word - who's copying whom?

I don't disagree with that assessment of Thomas The Tank Engine.

Doesn't make it bad or invalid as a kids story. Not everything needs to align with the current moral majority, or rather these stories were written just after the Second World War by a British vicar - a pretty specific mentality. But we do need to recognise that while white men from standard western backgrounds might feel that there is no problem here, plenty of others see these old tales as uninclusive.

Personally, I don't see why it's a problem bringing it up, but I wouldn't like to see these books banned. Anyone is free to write a story which can hopefully become as beloved as Thomas The Tank Engine.

I don't disagree with that assessment of Thomas The Tank Engine.

Doesn't make it bad or invalid as a kids story. Not everything needs to align with the current moral majority, or rather these stories were written just after the Second World War by a British vicar - a pretty specific mentality. But we do need to recognise that while white men from standard western backgrounds might feel that there is no problem here, plenty of others see these old tales as uninclusive.

Personally, I don't see why it's a problem bringing it up, but I wouldn't like to see these books banned. Anyone is free to write a story which can hopefully become as beloved as Thomas The Tank Engine.

I can't stand Thomas, not particularly for any of those reasons, I just think it's s**t TV (and books).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back