Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mitch Duncan is still underrated.
Cam Guthrie is Geelongs best mid last few years, wouldn't know about it though.
Disagree with both of these calls. I think it's agreed by everyone that they are both excellent players, albeit solid, no-frills, unspectacular types. Just because they aren't hyped up as superstars of the comp, that doesn't make them underrated. Channel 7 buffoons always crap on about Geelong's elite superstars: Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins, but when the pundits get serious about discussing the Cats, the talk quickly turns to their consistent midfielders, Duncan and Guthrie, plus Stewart and Blicavs in defence.

I don't who you'd class as underrated from the Cats. They're in the Top 4 every year. Most of their players are rated about right. Maybe some of their younger less-heralded players such Jack Henry, Jed Bews, Gryan Miers or Brandon Parfitt. But even these guys... are they really that underrated?

Last edited:

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am surprised powell made it.
He's bloody good and i look stupid give i doubted him early.

Miller is a gun. Certainly deserves more plaudits as a player and leader
He has put on a bit of muscle and is just so courageous, will give his all for the team. Is also a very good kick and exceptional mark

Disagree with both of these calls. I think it's agreed by everyone that they are both excellent players, albeit solid, no-frills, unspectacular types. Just because they aren't hyped up as superstars of the comp, that doesn't make them underrated. Channel 7 buffoons always crap on about Geelong's elite superstars: Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins, but when the pundits get serious about discussing the Cats, the talk quickly turns to their consistent midfielders, Duncan and Guthrie, plus Stewart and Blicavs in defence.

I don't who you'd class as underrated from the Cats. They're in the Top 4 every year. Most of their players are rated about right. Maybe some of their younger less-heralded players such Jack Henry, Jed Bews, Gryan Miers or Brandon Parfitt. But even these guys... are they really that underrated?
The Geelong guy who is underrated, at least outside the club, is the Irishman, Mark O'Connor. A no thrills player who week after week does his bit. In 2021 he has become a stopper. Sadly he won't play against Richmond because of injury, but his jobs on Neale and Mitchell were excellent.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Cause he doesn’t have inspector gadget arms or bound out of defence with his hair flowing in the wind.

I think it’s more to do with Jones being quite a good offensive CHB who isn’t nearly as good defensively as Weitering. So Weitering doesn’t get as much opportunity to rack up stats as he’s usually on the oppositions best forward.

I think it’s more to do with Jones being quite a good offensive CHB who isn’t nearly as good defensively as Weitering. So Weitering doesn’t get as much opportunity to rack up stats as he’s usually on the oppositions best forward.
Really? I always thought the reverse

Sunfire

All Australian
Mar 29, 2014
QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This thread is further evidence for Brandon Ellis.

This weekend against Collingwood his stats were.
35 Disposals
97% Disposal Efficiency
16 Marks
5 Tackles
1 Goal

Just about every Pies inside 50 he was there to cut them off, clean up the ball and set up our counter attack. Without Ellis the Pies beat us comfortably in my opinion.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes

35 Disposals
97% Disposal Efficiency
16 Marks
5 Tackles
1 Goal

Just about every Pies inside 50 he was there to cut them off, clean up the ball and set up our counter attack. Without Ellis the Pies beat us comfortably in my opinion.
ellis is a star, boom youngster....not quite a game breaker so tigers turned him in a more than handy gut running role playing defensive winger to suit their needs. now at the suns he can do the lot and be more of a prime mover and ball magnet again. with excellent leadership qualities, the suns picked up a couple of beauties in greenwood and ellis.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

35 Disposals
97% Disposal Efficiency
16 Marks
5 Tackles
1 Goal

Yeah Ellis is underrated. Very good player and seems to keep improving.

Credit all round here, Richmond for letting him go so he could get the big payday and Ellis for dedicating himself to the Suns and delivering on the field for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Frost is terribly underrated! He is Hawthorne's most coolest head in a crisis, unlike the rest who play like a deer in headlights.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yeah Ellis is underrated. Very good player and seems to keep improving.

Credit all round here, Richmond for letting him go so he could get the big payday and Ellis for dedicating himself to the Suns and delivering on the field for them.
Yep.
Ellis is a really prudent signing for the Suns. Will grow with their list.

Ellis and Butler at the Blues would have improved their side significantly. Shame they didn’t end up pulling the trigger. Good for the Suns and Saints though.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Touk Miller is an absolute jet!!!
Criminally underrated for years now, stands up regardless of how the team plays, can't really remember a bad game from him, super consistent.

Noah Anderson just fitted in nicely, already performing at a good level with no fuss made.

Cam Guthrie is Geelongs best mid last few years, wouldn't know about it though.
Cam Guthrie broke out in to career best form last year and was rewarded with an All Australian and B&F, just about everyone acknowledged how good of a year he had.

Seen his name mentioned a few times but not sure why.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Seen his name mentioned a few times but not sure why.

I feel like when watching a game I only hear about Danger, Selwood and more recently Duncan.

He's taken a while to get going, but he's backed up last year and is a borderline top 10 mid at the moment, but I don't see that level of praise.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Guthrie is overrated if anything IMO.

Really rate Duncan though - perfectly balanced footballer, neat skills, impacts in key moments pretty often. In most other teams he'd be the 2nd or 3rd best mid, but has had the luxury of being surrounded by quality players his entire career and has just quietly gone about his business.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Don't think we prefer one over the other. It's always just dependant on matchups, and how our opposition are structuring up. Jones is more athletic though, and Weitering is far better/composed at ground level which is probably why we actually don't mind him standing pretty deep. He's often just sitting on the last line in a sweeper type role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back