Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a necessary part of our forward line this year and I don't see anything changing much next year. Maybe Baldwin rips the comp a new one in the second half of the year or something but with his injury history I think you'd keep a guy like Hooker on the list as backup - assuming he's happy to do so.

Eyre looks like he's some time off from being in consideration for senior selection too.
You don't keep a bloke like Hooker around as back up. He's either good/fit enough to play seniors, or he hangs up the boots.

At this point, I hope he plays on.

I wonder if Hurley having a year to run will hurt his chances of an extra year? (And no I don't think Hurley's a forward, but they weren't training any of Hooker/Hurley/Ambrose to play as defenders in the pre-season)

Unless he has a massive drop off before the end of the year or he makes the decision to hang up the boots, he gets another season.

He's lost what little pace he had, but as others have pointed out he's 3rd in the coleman. Can't see him getting much slower, he's kicking goals, and he's giving jones/wright/stringer an easier go at it by taking a good kpd and being dangerous enough to keep them honest

Nobody loves Chook more than me....but how is this happening?? Not sure itā€™s sustainable but Lord I hope it is.

Itā€™s really important that he can keep attracting good defenders and engaging them - Stringer, Wright and Jones all benefit from it.

Just think that he was once at 133 games for 28 goals.

28 BLOODY GOALS!

Imagine if instead of playing Hurley up forward early on, we chose Hooker instead.

Hooker wouldn't have had to chase Franklin, and maybe won't have stuffed hamstrings. Hurley wouldn't have completely destroyed wrists and might be able to mark overhead.

Chook doesn't just take a defender, he commands a good one, and you zone off Chook at your own risk. This is a huge benefit to everyone else in the forward line, especially a skinny colt like Jones.

Hooker is slow, he's ungainly, but goodness he's effective. If this is an output that he can sustain I have zero issues with him continuing.

And to all of you bickering over who loves him more, you're all wrong. It's so obviously me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody loves Chook more than me....but how is this happening?? Not sure itā€™s sustainable but Lord I hope it is.

Itā€™s really important that he can keep attracting good defenders and engaging them - Stringer, Wright and Jones all benefit from it.

He doesn't stray too far from goal, and he's a hyper-competitive beast when the ball gets into his area.

But what's most surprising is he does actually have a bit of forward craft. He gets where the ball is quite often. It's amazing to see. He's worth a watch for 10 minutes or so if you're live at a game.

He doesn't stray too far from goal, and he's a hyper-competitive beast when the ball gets into his area.

But what's most surprising is he does actually have a bit of forward craft. He gets where the ball is quite often. It's amazing to see. He's worth a watch for 10 minutes or so if you're live at a game.

Thus why he was also such a good defender. Ability to read the game and know where the ball is going to be.

David Neitz at CHB in '95 then in 2002 at FF when he won the coleman.

Pavlich barely played defence when he won his.
Pavlich played CHB. He didn't play FB where he got it over Fletcher.

Of active players, Hooker sits 3rd for career intercept marks, probably a fair indication that he knows where the ball is going, couple that with a much improved goal kicking accuracy this year thatā€™s better than JJK, Riewoldt, Hipwood, Himmelberg, McKay and Daniher and to be honest he probably should have more.

Would you also believe he somehow rates elite for ground ball gets inside forward 50 šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Pavlich and Goodes did it by legitimately playing two different roles to AA standard
Further to the point, Goodes won Brownlow's in different positions.

I totally get that he is a very capable forward - have posted to that effect many times prior to this season.

I just didnā€™t think heā€™s be able to do it now given age and lack of mobility. I had just about written him off as cooked.Happy to have been wrong!

It's remarkable how often he gets separation on the lead against much more athletic opponents. I actually think he's a little bit quicker than he gets credit for given his running 'style'.

Got a jumper he signed in the mail the other week (from that offer if you kept your m/ship last season) . Looking forward to getting it framed šŸ‘

Remove this Banner Ad

Back