Parks - Jones - Plow
Doc - Wieters - Saad
Williams - Cripps - Cottrell
JSOS - McKay - Fog
Betts - Cas - Owies
Pitto - Walsh - Ed
SPS - Stocker - Dow - Cunners

Sub Newnes

Really tough to drop guys although, Gibbo was poor in the first half but redeemed himself in the 2nd half.

Newnes was solid without really doing much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt you have all seen the article in the Sun re: Trade Targets for next year. SPS & Cunners are included in the list.
Please please MC & Teague, give these guys more time in the Midfield. I reckon both these guys could really hit their straps and form part of agreat midfield brigade with Cripps, Walsh & Curnow. And Dow when he's back.
They are both suited for midfield for different reasons. They give us something different.
Hope JSOS & Williams ready for return.
Not sure if TDK & Newman are ready.
This match is going to be a beauty. A win would really top off a perfect 2 weeks.

Even if we're thinking of letting them go, we should be playing them through the middle to drive their value up. No excuse not to give them that exposure now.

Easy. SOS, Murphy, Williams in
McGovern, Dow, Stocker out

Dow is an easy call because of eye...Stocker measn SPS goes backto defender which doesn't make sense since he was dropped for being ordinary for too long...to be replaced by Stocker who seems to be settling in nicely....to be dropped because SPS played well as a midfielder?

yep sounds about right to me too :thumbsu:

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I really think it gets hard to see a win for this game without Gov, unfortunaetly.

Not because he is likely to be the match-winner on his own, simply because the way we have been successful against the Bulldogs in the past is to attack from the backline with long kicking, avoiding contests in the midfield (where their strength lies). Without Gov, and with Casboult on one leg, I think that approach is too easily defended (Casboult's opponent can just get across to help McKay, and as long as some midfield pushes back for them, they'll clear it away. McKay doesn't follow up or compete hard enough there). Gov crashing packs would really impact that and help us.

The follow-up to the attacking approach is to do what Richmond did and just apply vice-like pressure. J-SOS in helps from a forward perspetive and I would definitely not, under any circumstances, bring Murphy in as a forward for that reason. Our midfield absolutely cannot and does not do what Richmond's does, unfortunately. Cripps used to bring real heat with tackling, now seems to barely give a stuff when the other team has the ball (some of the times Merrett ran off him last week were embarassing). Dow also shouldn't play this week, it's a really bad week to be a slightly built contested ball-winner who doesn't run defensively IMO. I'd bring in Setterfield (and think we will) along with J-SOS

People dropping Gibbons... sheesh. He might not have kicked many goals but the contests and efforts he makes every week, while playing out of postion, count for enough. Same with Newnes: he's got he physicality and body to hold his own against the Bulldogs and help us at least compete.

For me, it's just
Out: McGovern (inj), Dow (inj),
In: Setterfield, JSOS

If winning is all that matters, I'd drop Stocker. He showed plenty last week, and also got burnt and caught out of position a few times. If you want to beat the team sitting in second spot he isn't quite there yet (particulary with Parks, who is also still learning his positioning). I'd put Williams to the back pocket for both defensive skills and run. However, even that might not be enough and I'd probably back in Stocker again. He's certainly tough and it is probably just worth building

Murpyh is the perfect sub at this stage of his career. No point playing reserves, we know he can go if needed, but we probably don't want him there every week unless we have to.

Dow is an easy call because of eye...Stocker measn SPS goes backto defender which doesn't make sense since he was dropped for being ordinary for too long...to be replaced by Stocker who seems to be settling in nicely....to be dropped because SPS played well as a midfielder?

Not saying I agree. But 2 games and then back to the two sounds about right for us.

After all, we have to demote Stocker because he couldn't beat Stringer one on one in defence.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That's what worries he - he can dominate hit outs but it is of
No use -- do you feel he is effective around the ground - personally rather have a second ruck and tdk -- but if must just tdk and pitto no Levi if he needs a break. Not sure of TDK forward craft

Ok, lets spitball this. Imagine Pitto is injured and unavailable this week. Who plays ruck?

I say Cas has to play first ruck and TDK has to be 'break glass' Forward ruck because coming back from a back fracture it would be unwise, I feel, for him to shoulder the load just yet. Maybe McKay could do a few minutes (heart in mouth)

If that is the case, are we better or worse off?
Cas can hardly move and TDK is not yet ready to return - maybe a week or two away.

Someone pointed me that the theory is that we don't need an A grade ruck, as many top teams don't have them. I disagree. An A grade ruck gives our midfield an advantage. Imagine a Gawn or Grundy type giving Walsh, Crippa etc, an armchair ride out of the stoppages? TDK may be the answer, but the proof is not there yet.

We desperately need some back up coverage in the ruck department.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The ins are difficult to determine

A number of players are finding form in the VFL, while others returning from injuries might be underdone

The outs, possible outs, seem a little easier.

Gov, clearly out with a hammy. Dow, may not come up, especially if vision is affected and or a slight fracture.

IMHO, only 2 others might be considered. Cotts ( prefer he stays) and Newnes, output has decreased with playing a more defensive role recently

Selection will be interesting.

Over the next 2-5 weeks, selection may get harder. I see that as a positive

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
In: JSOS, Williams, Sps
Out: McGovern, Dow.
Williams plays half back. Stocker and Sps in midfield.
Little bit out of left field but may need Casboult to play third tall defender down back as they have Bruce, Naughton and English.

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
yep forgot about SPS. OUT: Gibbons for SPS
Got a feeling samo will get dropped again. They’re trying to make a point out there to either embrace your role or play in the 2s. Coaches seem pretty adamant on Dow being apart of the midfield rotation. Listed SPS as back six in the VFL lineup so he just got lucky that he was activated in the middle. Don’t think a half of footy is gonna change their minds. I might be wrong but I’m just following the bread crumbs. Maybe he’ll play in the middle full time one day or another team will pick him up in the off season. He looks a more accomplished midfielder than Dow in my eyes but it’s not my call.

May 15, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If Murph comes in then Eddie goes out.
IMHO we can’t have both. Together they are a forward defence liability.
I love them both but the doggies will run everything through their players and hurt us.
Out: McGovern, Gibbons
In: Silvagni, Williams

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Is it TDK for Pitto or TDK for Casboult??

IMO Pitto has been costing us too much, got completely dominated by a kid in his first game.. But then Casboult had been horrific. There is also the thought I am not sure TDK is fit enough to play a full game as a first ruck... but his forward craft isn’t good enough to play as a permanent forward....

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly can't understand why anyone would want Murphy in.

Most people raved about the efforts of Walsh, Owies, Stocker and Parkes defensively. We finally had a team that put some defensive pressure on. Why would we bring back Murphy?

Time to set some standards. We need two way runners that crack in.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly can't understand why anyone would want Murphy in.

Most people raved about the efforts of Walsh, Owies, Stocker and Parkes defensively. We finally had a team that put some defensive pressure on. Why would we bring back Murphy?

Time to set some standards. We need two way runners that crack in.
If he does come in it shouldn’t be for any of the guys you mentioned. They may bring him in for Gibbo though. Gibbo hasn’t been playing like he usually does. Been a bit down imo.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Dow doesnt have any fractures so he stays in if im in charge. Showed great appetite for the ball last week and hopefully does it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back