Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
By the by, many AFL player wages are totally distorted and out of whack with their contributions to the sport and the money that flows into the game. The fact that first year draftees are now paid 6 figures salaries for basically being underdeveloped junior footballers straight out of high school and unlikely to play many or any senior games is a minor outrage. That money should be allocated to the actual AFL players who put on the show and create the spectacle. If you're good enough to play a lot of senior footy early ala Rozee, Butters and Duursma, that's what the additional ~5k per match worth of match payments are for.

1620134526887.png

That little pipsqueak moved from Barcelona to PSG when he was 16 and signed a contract giving him 1 million Euros per annum and has had a sponsorship with Nike for awhile too. He has earned in 2 years what more AFL players will in their entire career. A Brazilian called Vinicius Junior moved from his club Flamengo to Real Madrid for just under 50 million Euros...when he was 17. He also earned 7.5 million Euros per annum in his first contract.

The money in AFL footy looks obscene when you see 18 year old kids just out of high school getting paid what my dad does but when you look at most other sports it's actually * all. Players who move to middling tier English sides on frees get signing bonuses bigger than the entire salary cap for an AFL club.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 1118837

That little pipsqueak moved from Barcelona to PSG when he was 16 and signed a contract giving him 1 million Euros per annum and has had a sponsorship with Nike for awhile too. He has earned in 2 years what more AFL players will in their entire career. A Brazilian called Vinicius Junior moved from his club Flamengo to Real Madrid for just under 50 million Euros...when he was 17. He also earned 7.5 million Euros per annum in his first contract.

The money in AFL footy looks obscene when you see 18 year old kids just out of high school getting paid what my dad does but when you look at most other sports it's actually fu** all. Players who move to middling tier English sides on frees get signing bonuses bigger than the entire salary cap for an AFL club.

Global popularity and the market forces attached to it will do that.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FMD the tier 1 players got paid $32k this year and $37k next year. What has she dont to justify 4 times their pay? Let her sign as many ASA's as she can, but the AFL would have to change their whole CBA for her. That aint happening.
At $37,000 per female player, Port could field a team of 22 players if they sacked Hinkley, on $800,000. :p

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The funny thing is though, that there wouldn't be too many people that have her profile, her media coverage, a statue made of her etc, that are making less than 150k.

Despite probably not being in the top 30 players in the AFLW at any stage of her career, she has become their marquee attraction, and will get people through the gates. It's not as ridiculous a demand as it sounds. It's what it would do to the rest of the league's pay packets which is where the issue would be.
she's very marketable.

Most of her 150 will not come from playing games.

Think of her more of an influencer than a footballer and it makes sense.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
she's very marketable.

Most of her 150 will not come from playing games.

Think of her more of an influencer than a footballer and it makes sense.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sure that would endear her to her teammates.

Much like this did.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-202...k0J57LNTPXt-DF9hPfcuyanI8GWot1D9T-lDEdyH9BZ0E

Tayla Harris has reportedly upset some of her teammates at Carlton after leaving a training session early to post on Instagram.

According to Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris, Harris recently walked off the training paddock prematurely so she could spruik her Amazon Prime documentary.

Harris' $150k request is driven by her manager and her boxing career. She's going back into the ring, and if she wins that fight, her next fight she/her manager reckons it is for a world championship.

So a $150k would have to be paid by the AFL like the reported $750k they paid Izzy Folau and Karmichael Hunt for marketing the game in the expansion markets. If I was Erin Phillips' manager I would be asking for the same marketing deal.

Last edited:
Harris' $150k request is driven by her manager and her boxing career. She's going back into the ring, and if she wins that fight, her next fight she/her manager reckons it is for a world championship.

So a $150k would have to be paid by the AFL like the reported $750k they paid Izzy Folau and Karmichael Hunt for marketing the game in the expansion markets. If I was Erin Phillips' manager I would be asking for the same marketing deal.

A load of guys earning way more than 150k for just sitting there talking s**t complaining about a player with a statue and potential world title earning about the same as a police sergeant.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't say she was even that marketable. I dare say not one person I know would have a clue who she even is. That's the reality of it hence the paycheck is seen as outta whack especially when it's based on actual footballing.

I wouldn't say she was even that marketable. I dare say not one person I know would have a clue who she even is. That's the reality of it hence the paycheck is seen as outta whack especially when it's based on actual footballing.
She has a decent profile in Melbourne. Not as big as Daisy Pearce who has media roles on 7 and SEN, but she is a bit of a public face of women's footy in Melbourne.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
She has a decent profile in Melbourne. Not as big as Daisy Pearce who has media roles on 7 and SEN, but she is a bit of a public face of women's footy in Melbourne.

There's a lot of them successfully parlaying their AFLW role into lucrative media gigs off 8 games of AFLW. It's not great from my perspective as they have NFI about the mens game so if I'm subjected to an ex-player who sucks (aka Ling) at least he has insight.

Back