Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still mighty angry about the AFL's shameful decision to block the retail of the club's best selling item yet again.
Stinks of Eddie trying to quash the enthusiasm for the PB.
For us older guys, if you can't fit into your old PB you can still waive it during NTUA.
What a sight to see if lots of people waived a PB jumper.
Hold it up for NTUA. Don't wave it.

40k people waving one round and round aka the bombers with Sheedy after a win would be cool though.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion but just wanted to say that I think it is actually a good thing for Port that the AFL ruled against the Prison Bar guernsey for the showdown.

The reality of the situation is that Collingwood has the black and white stripe jumper rights for the AFL because they were part of that league first. This is a situation that is never going to change, so constantly revisiting the situation just keeps ripping the scab of that wound and stops your club and supporters from moving on properly.

To put things in perspective. Collingwood actually wanted to wear red, white, and blue way back when they joined the VFA, because they were the colours of their predecessor club (which I think was called Britannia), but they couldn't because Footscray already had red, white, and blue in that competition. To Collingwood's credit they obviously changed their colours and moved on. I think it is time Port Adelaide Power did the same.

The old jumpers are still on display weekly in the SANFL, and they will probably get occasional runs during AFL heritage theme rounds again in the future. That will hopefully be some consolation to the traditionalists.

But the most important consolation should be that you have a strong club in the national league. No other SANFL club has that, I'm sure many other clubs/supporters would have happily changed their jumper and colours more than slightly for such an outcome.

My own club changed it's trading name, to broaden its appeal to surrounding suburbs, which I didn't like but am OK with because I still have a club in the national league, which is obviously the most important thing.

If you can't keep your old traditions going exactly as they were, adjust them accordingly, they will become old traditions again soon enough.

I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion but just wanted to say that I think it is actually a good thing for Port that the AFL ruled against the Prison Bar guernsey for the showdown.

The reality of the situation is that Collingwood has the black and white stripe jumper rights for the AFL because they were part of that league first. This is a situation that is never going to change, so constantly revisiting the situation just keeps ripping the scab of that wound and stops your club and supporters from moving on properly.

To put things in perspective. Collingwood actually wanted to wear red, white, and blue way back when they joined the VFA, because they were the colours of their predecessor club (which I think was called Britannia), but they couldn't because Footscray already had red, white, and blue in that competition. To Collingwood's credit they obviously changed their colours and moved on. I think it is time Port Adelaide Power did the same.

The old jumpers are still on display weekly in the SANFL, and they will probably get occasional runs during AFL heritage theme rounds again in the future. That will hopefully be some consolation to the traditionalists.

But the most important consolation should be that you have a strong club in the national league. No other SANFL club has that, I'm sure many other clubs/supporters would have happily changed their jumper and colours more than slightly for such an outcome.

My own club changed it's trading name, to broaden its appeal to surrounding suburbs, which I didn't like but am OK with because I still have a club in the national league, which is obviously the most important thing.

If you can't keep your old traditions going exactly as they were, adjust them accordingly, they will become old traditions again soon enough.

This issue has persisted for 25 years what makes you think it’s going away now?

The thing is we tried to broaden our appeal - that was ‘the power’ or ‘port power’ - splashing teal every ******* where. It didn’t work- even at our best in the early 2000’s we barely had 30000 members. By 2010 we were playing in front of 12000 people. The big change was the ‘one club’ ( its a long story but NTUA is about this) - at this time we finally reinforced ‘we are Port Adelaide’ - we’ve been mediocre since 2010 BUT we’ve reinforced our identity and have consistently 60000 members. The Prison Bars is Port Adelaide.

The thing is we tried to broaden our appeal - that was ‘the power’ or ‘port power’ - splashing teal every ******* where. It didn’t work- even at our best in the early 2000’s we barely had 30000 members. By 2010 we were playing in front of 12000 people. The big change was the ‘one club’ ( its a long story but NTUA is about this) - at this time we finally reinforced ‘we are Port Adelaide’ - we’ve been mediocre since 2010 BUT we’ve reinforced our identity and have consistently 60000 members. The Prison Bars is Port Adelaide.

What changes if you do or don't get your way with the jumper? If you do get to wear it twice a year? Is that enough, or do people then start wanting it every home game which will never be allowed by the AFL? Does the club stay forever disgruntled?

Does the semi-regular battle about the jumper help anyone move on to love a new jumper/set of colours, or does it just delay the process unnecessarily?

These are the type of questions I think your club leaders should be asking themselves.

What changes if you do or don't get your way with the jumper? If you do get to wear it twice a year? Is that enough, or do people then start wanting it every home game which will never be allowed by the AFL? Does the club stay forever disgruntled?

Does the semi-regular battle about the jumper help anyone move on to love a new jumper/set of colours, or does it just delay the process unnecessarily?

These are the type of questions I think your club leaders should be asking themselves.
It's easy to think like you when you are a privileged Victorian who has given up nothing and had your minnow little suburban league team survive and been respected. Telling others less fortunate to get over it is a bit rich..

It's easy to think like you when you are a privileged Victorian who has given up nothing and had your minnow little suburban league team survive and been respected. Telling others less fortunate to get over it is a bit rich..

I was actually trying to point out how equally fortunate both of our clubs are. Much more fortunate than most clubs across the country.

The supporters getting fired up and passionate and engaged is the best thing for the club. We have shown that time and again.

If we took your approach we would still be in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion

You are right. It is unpopular. But not your opinion itself.

but just wanted to say that I think it is actually a good thing for Port that the AFL ruled against the Prison Bar guernsey for the showdown.

This could have been a good thing, actually. That's not the reason why your opinion is unpopular. The issue is why you think it was good.

The reality of the situation is that Collingwood has the black and white stripe jumper rights for the AFL because they were part of that league first. This is a situation that is never going to change,

Do you know whether Fitzroy was consulted before the Crows were allowed to join the league wearing their colours in 1991? Or is this something valid only when related to Collingwood?

Collingwood actually wanted to wear red, white, and blue way back when they joined the VFA, because they were the colours of their predecessor club (which I think was called Britannia)

Problem solved, then! ;)

but they couldn't because Footscray already had red, white, and blue in that competition.

Yet, the Crows were allowed to be red, blue, and yellow despite of Fitzroy. Maybe Footscray did, and now Collingwood feels entitled to do it. Bunch of insecure clubs, in my humble opinion.

To Collingwood's credit they obviously changed their colours and moved on.

Mate, we have changed our colours quite often back then. We also moved on.

I think it is time Port Adelaide Power did the same.

We not only changed our colours back then. We have changed both our colours and monicker in 1997.

Now, our colours won't go anywhere. We aren't discussing colours. Our AFL side is the "Power". That won't change either. All we are asking is the right to wear our jumper.

constantly revisiting the situation just keeps ripping the scab of that wound and stops your club and supporters from moving on properly.

Why would we want to move on? Our past is something to be proud and not ashamed of.

To put things in perspective.

Sure. I can put it in perspective for you. You have no idea what our wounds actually are.

With the Prison Bar jumper, the Port Adelaide FC became the most dominant club in football history. With the Prison Bar jumper, we won the state and national premierships without losing a single match in 1914. With the Prison Bar jumper, we won six consecutive flags. With the Prison Bar jumper, we have joined the AFL. The Prison Bar jumper is a reminder that "we exist to win premierships."

Moreover, as a club, we were split into two and remained divided for 17 years. The Prison Bar jumper is also a symbol of our reunification. It means "we are Port Adelaide".

The old jumpers are still on display weekly in the SANFL

Collingwood doesn't like that either. There will be struggle when the AFL Reserves come into being.

they will probably get occasional runs during AFL heritage theme rounds again in the future.

Can you enlighten us on what grounds you say that? Last time I checked, those were scraped (right after we signed an agreement about them); and the AFL doesn't want to make the Showdowns an "SA Heritage round".

That will hopefully be some consolation to the traditionalists.
If you can't keep your old traditions going exactly as they were, adjust them accordingly

Mate, it's not the Port traditionalists that are mad. I am a full member of the "Port Teal Party". I love our current Back-In-Black jumper. I am pissed.

As you have said, we see the Maggies every week. It has nothing to do with it.

All that we asked was precisely to "adjust an old tradition accordingly". It was denied. We asked for the Power to be allowed to wear the PB jumpers twice a year, in SA, before an SA audience. It would bother no one, but some Crows. It was denied.

My own club changed it's trading name, to broaden its appeal to surrounding suburbs,

Did it work?

which I didn't like but am OK with because I still have a club in the national league, which is obviously the most important thing.
the most important consolation should be that you have a strong club in the national league.

It may be a good consolation for you all. Participation ribbons could be acceptable in Footscray. I don't know.

What I do know is that "being in" is not good enough for us. We don't need consolation. We do what we must do.

I'm sure many other clubs/supporters would have happily changed their jumper and colours more than slightly for such an outcome.
No other SANFL club has that.

We are not "many other clubs". That's why we are in, and they are not. No other club outside of Victoria can say that.

We can accept changing our colours and nickname, we can accept being split in two, all that, just for the sake of getting in. But we won't accept to be simply thankful and happy about it.

As Dennis Cometti said: "Port should be allowed to wear the jumper as a homage to all the other clubs that couldn't make it."

they will become old traditions again soon enough.

That's what we want. We are going to win this, and new traditions will spring from our victory.

"They will never tear us apart."

Last edited:
Proffessor

Just read the article in the link below to get a better idea of what is going on:

And the article is done, I'd appreciate if you guys could check it out and if there's any incorrect points please do let me know.

Two quotes:

GremioPower: “I fully support the right of the PAFC AFL team, the Power, to wear the PB. It should be worn whenever the club feels fitting; clashes notwithstanding. I wouldn’t make it the permanent home guernsey. I like our current one. I would reserve the PB for Showdowns and Finals.

Fizzler: "Certainly the sensible point of view in my mind."

Yeah - sorry I don’t think you get it. You mentioned WB changed their name to broaden their appeal. The reality is if your club decided tomorrow to go back to Footscray - the afl would allow it. Essentially your club hasn’t had to give much up forcibly. We have - and we get it, we needed to change parts of our club to enter the afl. Reality is many of these changes nearly killed the club. If you had time, I am sure someone would fill you in on all the changes Port had to enforce (not just the colour teal, logo and mascot). There were some fundamental forced changes behind the scenes that nearly killed the club, things that fundamentally ripped the club apart - Port also wore the blame for many of these changes - yes we were told ‘you’ve stolen the port magpies heritage’ and ‘you’ve killed the port magpies’ - this stuff was absolutely false.

in answer to your question, nothing changes if we don’t wear the guernsey. The sun comes up tomorrow, Ken keeps coaching us to finish somewhere between 6-10th each year and we continue to wear our approved afl guernsey. But I don’t know if we are satisfied with the dismissal of our heritage - we’ve been there being told it’s not important, get over it, be more power and your not the magpies. It. Doesn’t work when something is fundamentally important to you.

also in a state where we are trying despairingly to show that there is a strong point of difference to the corporate plastics crows - we know that the fact we can produce hertitage related products will gather new supporters for us who will connect instantly with the clubs history rather than ‘gee I really like the colour teal, I’ll barrack for them’.

Righto, and Brittania was a 125 year old club with a long history of success in the red blue and white. Clearly you don't see 'your league' as a national league.

What a ridiculous point of view. One that has been quashed multiple times in this thread.

And if you think this is ever going away you’re in for a rude awakening, we don’t care if others get ‘bored’ of the argument.

Proffessor

Just read the article in the link below to get a better idea of what is going on:

Two quotes:

GremioPower: “I fully support the right of the PAFC AFL team, the Power, to wear the PB. It should be worn whenever the club feels fitting; clashes notwithstanding. I wouldn’t make it the permanent home guernsey. I like our current one. I would reserve the PB for Showdowns and Finals.

Fizzler: "Certainly the sensible point of view in my mind."

In a properly managed league it should be the permanent jumper.

In a properly managed league it should be the permanent jumper.
But it's not. Still, besides all the "still the VFL sh*t", there's no sense in forbidding a compromise.

Showdowns and ANZAC Day makes three times a year (out of 22), and there is no involvement from Collingwood in neither. It should be a no-brainer.

Finals (Home and GF) is a bit trickier, I know. However, I think that if our side is good enough to have a home final (or to have reached the GF), it would have earned the right of using the PB's. This would be a matter to be solved on the field, and I like that. It would work as an incentive.

If we would get that, I could accept never wearing the PB's in a GF against Colllingwood no matter what.

You are right. It is unpopular. But not your opinion itself.

This could have been a good thing, actually. That's not the reason why your opinion is unpopular. The issue is why you think it was good.

Do you know whether Fitzroy was consulted before the Crows were allowed to join the league wearing their colours in 1991? Or is this something valid only when related to Collingwood?

Problem solved, then! ;)

Yet, the Crows were allowed to be red, blue, and yellow despite of Fitzroy. Maybe Footscray did, and now Collingwood feels entitled to do it. Bunch of insecure clubs, in my humble opinion.

Mate, we have changed our colours quite often back then. We also moved on.

We not only changed our colours back then. We have changed both our colours and monicker in 1997.

Now, our colours won't go anywhere. We aren't discussing colours. Our AFL side is the "Power". That won't change either. All we are asking is the right to wear our jumper.

Why would we want to move on? Our past is something to be proud and not ashamed of.

Sure. I can put it in perspective for you. You have no idea what our wounds actually are.

With the Prison Bar jumper, the Port Adelaide FC became the most dominant club in football history. With the Prison Bar jumper, we won the state and national premierships without losing a single match in 1914. With the Prison Bar jumper, we won six consecutive flags. With the Prison Bar jumper, we have joined the AFL. The Prison Bar jumper is a reminder that "we exist to win premierships."

Moreover, as a club, we were split into two and remained divided for 17 years. The Prison Bar jumper is also a symbol of our reunification. It means "we are Port Adelaide".

Collingwood doesn't like that either. There will be struggle when the AFL Reserves come into being.

Can you enlighten us on what grounds you say that? Last time I checked, those were scraped (right after we signed an agreement about them); and the AFL doesn't want to make the Showdowns an "SA Heritage round".

Mate, it's not the Port traditionalists that are mad. I am a full member of the "Port Teal Party". I love our current Back-In-Black jumper. I am pissed.

As you have said, we see the Maggies every week. It has nothing to do with it.

All that we asked was precisely to "adjust an old tradition accordingly". It was denied. We asked for the Power to be allowed to wear the PB jumpers twice a year, in SA, before an SA audience. It would bother no one, but some Crows. It was denied.

Did it work?

It may be a good consolation for you all. Participation ribbons could be acceptable in Footscray. I don't know.

What I do know is that "being in" is not good enough for us. We don't need consolation. We do what we must do.

We are not "many other clubs". That's why we are in, and they are not. No other club outside of Victoria can say that.

We can accept changing our colours and nickname, we can accept being split in two, all that, just for the sake of getting in. But we won't accept to be simply thankful and happy about it.

As Dennis Cometti said: "Port should be allowed to wear the jumper as a homage to all the other clubs that couldn't make it."

That's what we want. We are going to win this, and new traditions will spring from our victory.

"They will never tear us apart."

You definitely kicked a goal when you chose Port as your Aussie rules team GP, it must have been meant to be. :thumbsu:

I'm just expressing my opinion that it would actually be a good thing for your club for the issue to go away, and the sooner the better.
Why is it good enough for every professional sporting league around the world for teams to have same colours ECT but in the AFL it's a big deal... Everyone should have a clash/away Guernsey situation solved done.. the whole us wanting to wear our Guernsey shouldnt be a big deal.

As sensible as you believe your opinion may be, you need to understand there is no sense in following a football club.
You do it for many different reasons, but none of them are about logic.

You do it to honour family, to be reminded of good times spent with them.
You do it because it is a rock in a lifetime in which everything else changes.
You do it to feel a part of something, so you are not alone.
You do it because it makes you feel something.
You do it so every week you have something to look forward to.

There is no sense in any of this, its about things much more important than sense.

Our stake is firmly in the ground, you don't have the right to tell me to move the rock that holds my life in place.
You may have reconciled with your mistakes, but I damn well won't make the same ones.

To say that we must give up the right to be who we are is a nonsense.
What we are is why I spend money at this football club each year.

Unless you want to pay for my membership, pull your head in and return to your island with the skipper, gilligan and the rest of your sensible lot.

Last edited:
Just dropping in to give kudos to Gremio.

It is amazing to me that someone from so far, so new to the club understands it so well.

His first reply there I, as a 40 year member, with Dad who is a 50+ year member and literally grew up spending every 2nd weekend in the Williams stand at Alberton, would have been proud to write. It sums up my thought better than I could have.

Bravo.

You definitely kicked a goal when you chose Port as your Aussie rules team GP, it must have been meant to be. :thumbsu:
Just dropping in to give kudos to Gremio.

It is amazing to me that someone from so far, so new to the club understands it so well.

His first reply there I, as a 40 year member, with Dad who is a 50+ year member and literally grew up spending every 2nd weekend in the Williams stand at Alberton, would have been proud to write. It sums up my thought better than I could have.

Bravo.

I have said it before. I am a Portsman accidentally born 8,500 miles away from Alberton. It took 35 years, but I found my way back home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back